Subject: [Healeys] Toyota five-speed problem

From: Michael Oritt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2018 13:13:21 -0500

--===============2691791237132077969==

--000000000000cc38fc057ddcabbe

Sixteen years and about 50,000 miles ago I purchased a conversion kit and a
rebuilt Toyota five-speed transmission from Smith (Smitty) Brodie after
second gear in my original three-speed box broke while I was travelling in
CA following Conclave 2002 in Tahoe.  Smitty gave me the use of his shop,
lift, tools and lots of help and along with a couple of local Healey guys
whose names have escaped me we installed the new transmission and I was
able to drive back home to Maryland with no issues.

Last week I took the car for a long ride (see "Every Ride is a Test Ride"
string) and on the way home I began to experience some difficulty getting
the car into fourth gear, especially on upshifts, and though I was able to
get into gear there was a "crunch" on engagement and often the stick would
pop out of gear.   During another long ride yesterday things went further
south and I was totally unable to get into fourth, plus there seemed to be
some resistance when upshifting into third.

I did a bit of googling and found several posts where people had similar
issues and merely by changing their gearbox oil the problems went away.
Hoping against hope this morning I drained the Redline MT90 which has been
in the car for about a year (no metal bits, etc) and refilled with fresh.
Unfortunately nothing changed and I was still unable to get into fourth,
either going up or down through the gears and despite my rev-matching or
double-clutching.

I've gotten a lot of good use of the gearbox and clutch and I'm certainly
not complaining.  Plus I am fortunate to have a local mechanic who has
worked on many manual boxes of all kinds, so I'm not afraid to remove the
transmission and give it to him for a rebuild.  However before I simply
pull the unit out I wonder if there are any detent balls/springs or the
like under the top cover or whatever that might have come loose, etc. and
are causing the problem.  I know there are a lot of us with Smitty's
conversions and if anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate input.

Best--Michael Oritt

--000000000000cc38fc057ddcabbe
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff"><span=
 style=3D"color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Gene=
va,sans-serif;font-size:13px">Sixteen years and about 50,000 miles ago I pu=
rchased a conversion kit and a rebuilt Toyota five-speed transmission from =
Smith (Smitty) Brodie after second gear in my original three-speed box brok=
e while I was travelling in CA following Conclave 2002 in Tahoe.=C2=A0 Smit=
ty gave me the use of his shop, lift, tools and lots of help and along with=
 a couple of local Healey guys whose names have escaped me we installed the=
 new transmission and I was able to drive back home to Maryland with no iss=
ues.</span><br style=3D"color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahom=
a,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px"><br style=3D"color:rgb(34,34,34=
);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px=
"><span style=3D"color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calib=
ri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">Last week I took the car for a long ri=
de (see &quot;Every Ride is a Test Ride&quot; string) and on the way home I=
 began to experience some difficulty getting the car into fourth gear, espe=
cially on upshifts, and though I was able to get into gear there was a &quo=
t;crunch&quot; on engagement and often the stick would pop out of gear.=C2=
=A0 =C2=A0During another long ride yesterday things went further south and =
I was totally unable to get into fourth, plus there seemed to be some resis=
tance when upshifting into third.</span><br style=3D"color:rgb(34,34,34);fo=
nt-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px"><b=
r style=3D"color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Gen=
eva,sans-serif;font-size:13px"><span style=3D"color:rgb(34,34,34);font-fami=
ly:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">I did a b=
it of googling and found several posts where people had similar issues and =
merely by changing their gearbox oil the problems went away.=C2=A0 Hoping a=
gainst hope this morning I drained the Redline MT90 which has been in the c=
ar for about a year (no metal bits, etc) and refilled with fresh.=C2=A0 Unf=
ortunately nothing changed and I was still unable to get into fourth, eithe=
r going up or down through the gears and despite my rev-matching or double-=
clutching.</span><br style=3D"color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial=
,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px"><br style=3D"color:rgb(34=
,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-siz=
e:13px"><span style=3D"color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma=
,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">I&#39;ve gotten a lot of good us=
e of the gearbox and clutch and I&#39;m certainly not complaining.=C2=A0 Pl=
us I am fortunate to have a local mechanic who has worked on many manual bo=
xes of all kinds, so I&#39;m not afraid to remove the transmission and give=
 it to him for a rebuild.=C2=A0 However before I simply pull the unit out I=
 wonder if there are any detent balls/springs or the like under the top cov=
er or whatever that might have come loose, etc. and are causing the problem=
.=C2=A0 I know there are a lot of us with Smitty&#39;s conversions and if a=
nyone has any thoughts I would appreciate input.=C2=A0</span><br style=3D"c=
olor:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-ser=
if;font-size:13px"><br style=3D"color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Ari=
al,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px"></div><div class=3D"gma=
il_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff">Best--Michael Oritt</div></div>

--000000000000cc38fc057ddcabbe--

--===============2691791237132077969==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============2691791237132077969==--

---

From: Kees Oudesluijs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2018 23:52:53 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============0111927045096327293==
 boundary="------------B86A6B14D52886D1B133B64F"
Content-Language: nl

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------B86A6B14D52886D1B133B64F
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

50.000 miles on a Toyota box is very little unless very abused. Sounds a 
bit like a worn synchro hub? Loosened nut on the main shaft? Did you use 
the recommended oil by Toyota before in stead of MT90? Perhaps you 
should change to the recommende oil.

Clutch OK?

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 25-12-2018 om 19:13 schreef Michael Oritt:
> Sixteen years and about 50,000 miles ago I purchased a conversion kit 
> and a rebuilt Toyota five-speed transmission from Smith (Smitty) 
> Brodie after second gear in my original three-speed box broke while I 
> was travelling in CA following Conclave 2002 in Tahoe.  Smitty gave me 
> the use of his shop, lift, tools and lots of help and along with a 
> couple of local Healey guys whose names have escaped me we installed 
> the new transmission and I was able to drive back home to Maryland 
> with no issues.
>
> Last week I took the car for a long ride (see "Every Ride is a Test 
> Ride" string) and on the way home I began to experience some 
> difficulty getting the car into fourth gear, especially on upshifts, 
> and though I was able to get into gear there was a "crunch" on 
> engagement and often the stick would pop out of gear.   During another 
> long ride yesterday things went further south and I was totally unable 
> to get into fourth, plus there seemed to be some resistance when 
> upshifting into third.
>
> I did a bit of googling and found several posts where people had 
> similar issues and merely by changing their gearbox oil the problems 
> went away.  Hoping against hope this morning I drained the Redline 
> MT90 which has been in the car for about a year (no metal bits, etc) 
> and refilled with fresh. Unfortunately nothing changed and I was still 
> unable to get into fourth, either going up or down through the gears 
> and despite my rev-matching or double-clutching.
>
> I've gotten a lot of good use of the gearbox and clutch and I'm 
> certainly not complaining.  Plus I am fortunate to have a local 
> mechanic who has worked on many manual boxes of all kinds, so I'm not 
> afraid to remove the transmission and give it to him for a rebuild.  
> However before I simply pull the unit out I wonder if there are any 
> detent balls/springs or the like under the top cover or whatever that 
> might have come loose, etc. and are causing the problem.  I know there 
> are a lot of us with Smitty's conversions and if anyone has any 
> thoughts I would appreciate input.
>
> Best--Michael Oritt
>
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

--------------B86A6B14D52886D1B133B64F
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>50.000 miles on a Toyota box is very little unless very abused.
      Sounds a bit like a worn synchro hub? Loosened nut on the main
      shaft? Did you use the recommended oil by Toyota before in stead
      of MT90? Perhaps you should change to the recommende oil.</p>
    <p>Clutch OK?</p>
    <p>Kees Oudesluijs</p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Op 25-12-2018 om 19:13 schreef Michael
      Oritt:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div class="gmail_default" style="color:#3333ff"><span
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">Sixteen
            years and about 50,000 miles ago I purchased a conversion
            kit and a rebuilt Toyota five-speed transmission from Smith
            (Smitty) Brodie after second gear in my original three-speed
            box broke while I was travelling in CA following Conclave
            2002 in Tahoe.  Smitty gave me the use of his shop, lift,
            tools and lots of help and along with a couple of local
            Healey guys whose names have escaped me we installed the new
            transmission and I was able to drive back home to Maryland
            with no issues.</span><br
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
          <br
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
          <span
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">Last
            week I took the car for a long ride (see "Every Ride is a
            Test Ride" string) and on the way home I began to experience
            some difficulty getting the car into fourth gear, especially
            on upshifts, and though I was able to get into gear there
            was a "crunch" on engagement and often the stick would pop
            out of gear.   During another long ride yesterday things
            went further south and I was totally unable to get into
            fourth, plus there seemed to be some resistance when
            upshifting into third.</span><br
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
          <br
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
          <span
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">I
            did a bit of googling and found several posts where people
            had similar issues and merely by changing their gearbox oil
            the problems went away.  Hoping against hope this morning I
            drained the Redline MT90 which has been in the car for about
            a year (no metal bits, etc) and refilled with fresh. 
            Unfortunately nothing changed and I was still unable to get
            into fourth, either going up or down through the gears and
            despite my rev-matching or double-clutching.</span><br
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
          <br
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
          <span
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">I've
            gotten a lot of good use of the gearbox and clutch and I'm
            certainly not complaining.  Plus I am fortunate to have a
            local mechanic who has worked on many manual boxes of all
            kinds, so I'm not afraid to remove the transmission and give
            it to him for a rebuild.  However before I simply pull the
            unit out I wonder if there are any detent balls/springs or
            the like under the top cover or whatever that might have
            come loose, etc. and are causing the problem.  I know there
            are a lot of us with Smitty's conversions and if anyone has
            any thoughts I would appreciate input. </span><br
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
          <br
style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px">
        </div>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="color:#3333ff">Best--Michael
          Oritt</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------B86A6B14D52886D1B133B64F--

--===============0111927045096327293==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0111927045096327293==--