Subject: [Healeys] 100 hood (bonnet) contour

From: "S. Carr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 10:25:04 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============1198036143927868901==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0095_01D48BBB.9F2F9D30"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0095_01D48BBB.9F2F9D30
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

My 100 is now in a new shop (the man who had been working on it died).  =
The car has been apart since 2006, and some of the sheet metal might =
have been damaged over the years.

A straight edge laid crosswise on the hood, about midway, touches flat =
most of the way across, then the hood curves down toward the sides.  =
Should the hood be flat in the middle like this, or should it be =
slightly crowned in the center, and gradually fall away from there =
toward the sides? (There isn=E2=80=99t another 100 readily available for =
comparison).

TIA,
Sarah Carr
BN1 in PA
------=_NextPart_000_0095_01D48BBB.9F2F9D30
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>My 100 is now in a new shop (the man who had been working on it=20
died).&nbsp; The car has been apart since 2006, and some of the sheet =
metal=20
might have been damaged over the years.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>A straight edge laid crosswise on the hood, about midway, touches =
flat most=20
of the way across, then the hood curves down toward the sides.&nbsp; =
Should the=20
hood be flat in the middle like this, or should it be slightly crowned =
in the=20
center, and gradually fall away from there toward the sides? (There =
isn=E2=80=99t=20
another 100 readily available for comparison).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>TIA,</DIV>
<DIV>Sarah Carr</DIV>
<DIV>BN1 in PA</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0095_01D48BBB.9F2F9D30--

--===============1198036143927868901==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============1198036143927868901==--

---

From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 23:15:37 +0000

--===============1682094712653379759==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_DM6PR07MB453839F82D2C92B2F3999C16A5A80DM6PR07MB4538namp_"

--_000_DM6PR07MB453839F82D2C92B2F3999C16A5A80DM6PR07MB4538namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

The bonnet should be crowned in both directions. A trick I was taught by a =
metal worker to determine if the surface is distorted is to use a long flex=
ible piece of gas welding rod as a gauge. Hold down the ends on the known c=
orrect surfaces and look for gaps between the rod and the surface between. =
The rod should lie on the surface for its whole length as it defines a smoo=
th curve.

Bill Lawrence
BN1 #554
________________________________
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> on behalf of S. Carr <britfa=
[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 3:25 PM
To: Healey List
Subject: [Healeys] 100 hood (bonnet) contour

My 100 is now in a new shop (the man who had been working on it died).  The=
 car has been apart since 2006, and some of the sheet metal might have been=
 damaged over the years.

A straight edge laid crosswise on the hood, about midway, touches flat most=
 of the way across, then the hood curves down toward the sides.  Should the=
 hood be flat in the middle like this, or should it be slightly crowned in =
the center, and gradually fall away from there toward the sides? (There isn=
=92t another 100 readily available for comparison).

TIA,
Sarah Carr
BN1 in PA

--_000_DM6PR07MB453839F82D2C92B2F3999C16A5A80DM6PR07MB4538namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DWindows-1=
252">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bo=
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
The bonnet should be crowned in both directions. A trick I was taught by a =
metal worker to determine if the surface is distorted is to use a long flex=
ible piece of gas welding rod as a gauge. Hold down the ends on the known c=
orrect surfaces and look for gaps
 between the rod and the surface between. The rod should lie on the surface=
 for its whole length as it defines a smooth curve.</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Bill Lawrence</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
BN1 #554</div>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex=3D"-1">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" st=
yle=3D"font-size:11pt" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Healeys &lt;healeys-b=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of S. Carr &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br=
<b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, December 4, 2018 3:25 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> Healey List<br>
<b>Subject:</b> [Healeys] 100 hood (bonnet) contour</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">
<div dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-size:12pt; font-family:'Calibri'; color:#000000">
<div>My 100 is now in a new shop (the man who had been working on it died).=
&nbsp; The car has been apart since 2006, and some of the sheet metal might=
 have been damaged over the years.</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>A straight edge laid crosswise on the hood, about midway, touches flat=
 most of the way across, then the hood curves down toward the sides.&nbsp; =
Should the hood be flat in the middle like this, or should it be slightly c=
rowned in the center, and gradually fall
 away from there toward the sides? (There isn=92t another 100 readily avail=
able for comparison).</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>TIA,</div>
<div>Sarah Carr</div>
<div>BN1 in PA</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_DM6PR07MB453839F82D2C92B2F3999C16A5A80DM6PR07MB4538namp_--

--===============1682094712653379759==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1682094712653379759==--