Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil pump

From: "BJ8Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 17:37:04 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============9102033544047722314==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00AC_01D49178.2F9935E0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00AC_01D49178.2F9935E0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Simon, I don't have any information about non-BJ8 stuff, but the BMC
workshop manual for BJ7/BJ8 says of the oil pump:

"(a)  The radial clearance between the gears and the pump body should not
exceed 0.00125 in. to 0.0025 in. (0.032 mm to 0.063 mm).

(b)  Check the clearance between the gears and the end cover by placing a
straight edge across the pump body and checking with a feeler gauge.  End
float should be between 0.0005 in. and 0.002 in. (0.013 mm. and 0.051 mm)."

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large

Havelock, NC  

From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2018 8:26 AM
To: Healeys
Subject: [Healeys] Oil pump

I have extracted the "Gear type" oil pump from my car. This is apparently
the latter of the 2 types fitted to 3000s. It "looks" OK to me, but how can
I tell if it's actually worn?

There is a (very) little scoring, but I reckon one might anticipate that.
The clearances between the teeth seems good as does the clearance between
the teeth and the body. The shafts are OK and everything sits solid. But
what do I know of these things?

Any ideas, any clearance figures would be appreciated. Thanks.

(I bought a new Denis Welch High Capacity pump on eBay and will be fitting
that. It's a "rotor".)

Simon

------=_NextPart_000_00AC_01D49178.2F9935E0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:8.0pt;
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	color:#002060;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;}
span.BalloonTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Balloon Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text";
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Comic Sans =
MS";color:#002060'>Simon, I don't have any information about non-BJ8 =
stuff, but the BMC workshop manual for BJ7/BJ8 says of the oil =
pump:<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Comic Sans MS";color:#002060'>&quot;(a)&nbsp; The =
radial clearance between the gears and the pump body should not exceed =
0.00125 in. to 0.0025 in. (0.032 mm to 0.063 =
mm).<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Comic Sans MS";color:#002060'>(b)&nbsp; Check the =
clearance between the gears and the end cover by placing a straight edge =
across the pump body and checking with a feeler gauge.&nbsp; End float =
should be between 0.0005 in. and 0.002 in. (0.013 mm. and 0.051 =
mm).&quot;<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Comic Sans =
MS";color:#002060'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Comic Sans =
MS";color:#002060'>Steve Byers</span><span =
style=3D'color:#002060'><o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Comic Sans =
MS";color:#002060'>HBJ8L/36666</span><span =
style=3D'color:#002060'><o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Comic Sans MS";color:#002060'>BJ8 =
Registry</span><span style=3D'color:#002060'><o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Comic Sans =
MS";color:#002060'>AHCA Delegate at Large</span><span =
style=3D'color:#002060'><o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Comic Sans MS";color:#002060'>Havelock, NC&nbsp; =
</span><span style=3D'color:#002060'><o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#002060'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Comic Sans =
MS";color:#002060'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>[email-masked]<br><b>Sent:</b> Monday, December =
10, 2018 8:26 AM<br><b>To:</b> Healeys<br><b>Subject:</b> [Healeys] Oil =
pump<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-GB>I have extracted the &#8220;Gear type&#8221; oil pump from =
my car. This is apparently the latter of the 2 types fitted to 3000s. It =
&#8220;looks&#8221; OK to me, but how can I tell if it&#8217;s actually =
worn?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-GB>There =
is a (very) little scoring, but I reckon one might anticipate that. The =
clearances between the teeth seems good as does the clearance between =
the teeth and the body. The shafts are OK and everything sits solid. But =
what do I know of these things?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-GB>Any ideas, any clearance figures =
would be appreciated. Thanks.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-GB>(I bought a new Denis Welch High =
Capacity pump on eBay and will be fitting that. It&#8217;s a =
&#8220;rotor&#8221;.)<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-GB>Simon<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-GB><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_00AC_01D49178.2F9935E0--

--===============9102033544047722314==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============9102033544047722314==--