Subject: [Healeys] Steering Column Seals

From: Michael MacLean <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 22:07:43 +0000 (UTC)

--===============3466861926206877430==
	boundary="----=_Part_5167359_1770713549.1558390063358"

------=_Part_5167359_1770713549.1558390063358
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I am at the point of installing the suspension and steering of my BN2 resto=
ration.=C2=A0 Today I am trying to figure out the two plates and seals that=
 go on the firewall to seal the steering column outer tube.=C2=A0 I have on=
e plate with a through hole on the passenger side, but nothing on the firew=
all side.=C2=A0 Do both of these plates have a seal sandwiched beneath them=
, or just one?=C2=A0 The seals are not available from the usual suspects, s=
o I surmise I have to make them.=C2=A0 What material should they be?=C2=A0 =
Just plain rubber?=C2=A0 I have no plate for the seal on the inside of he c=
ar.=C2=A0 The only vendors I can find that sell that plate are overseas.=C2=
=A0 Don't want to make an order for such a small part with the prohibitive =
shipping costs.=C2=A0 I don't have very much in the way of metal cutting to=
ols to make my own.=C2=A0 Any ideas where to source this plate?Mike MacLean

------=_Part_5167359_1770713549.1558390063358
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body><div class=3D"yahoo-style-wrap" style=3D"font-fami=
ly:times new roman, new york, times, serif;font-size:16px;"><div>I am at th=
e point of installing the suspension and steering of my BN2 restoration.&nb=
sp; Today I am trying to figure out the two plates and seals that go on the=
 firewall to seal the steering column outer tube.&nbsp; I have one plate wi=
th a through hole on the passenger side, but nothing on the firewall side.&=
nbsp; Do both of these plates have a seal sandwiched beneath them, or just =
one?&nbsp; The seals are not available from the usual suspects, so I surmis=
e I have to make them.&nbsp; What material should they be?&nbsp; Just plain=
 rubber?&nbsp; I have no plate for the seal on the inside of he car.&nbsp; =
The only vendors I can find that sell that plate are overseas.&nbsp; Don't =
want to make an order for such a small part with the prohibitive shipping c=
osts.&nbsp; I don't have very much in the way of metal cutting tools to mak=
e my own.&nbsp; Any ideas where to source this plate?</div><div>Mike MacLea=
n<br></div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_5167359_1770713549.1558390063358--

--===============3466861926206877430==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============3466861926206877430==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 18:56:52 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4694972832136799001==
 boundary="------------1AC75E4CFB780E8FD189FBA9"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------1AC75E4CFB780E8FD189FBA9
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Check with David Nock at BCS.  If he doesn't have them, you should be 
able to fab them; use the screw holes and the Moss illustrations to get 
dimensions (or maybe David or someone else knows).  The 'felt' is 
nothing special, just thin (probably the lightest felt weight you can 
buy, in grey).

The blanking panel has a single felt 'seal'--same for the R/H pedal 
holes--the steering column has a plate and a felt on either side of the 
scuttle.

Bob

On 5/20/2019 3:07 PM, Michael MacLean wrote:
> I am at the point of installing the suspension and steering of my BN2 
> restoration.  Today I am trying to figure out the two plates and seals 
> that go on the firewall to seal the steering column outer tube.  I 
> have one plate with a through hole on the passenger side, but nothing 
> on the firewall side. Do both of these plates have a seal sandwiched 
> beneath them, or just one?  The seals are not available from the usual 
> suspects, so I surmise I have to make them.  What material should they 
> be?  Just plain rubber?  I have no plate for the seal on the inside of 
> he car.  The only vendors I can find that sell that plate are 
> overseas.  Don't want to make an order for such a small part with the 
> prohibitive shipping costs.  I don't have very much in the way of 
> metal cutting tools to make my own.  Any ideas where to source this plate?
> Mike MacLean
>

--------------1AC75E4CFB780E8FD189FBA9
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>Check with David Nock at BCS.  If he doesn't have them, you
      should be able to fab them; use the screw holes and the Moss
      illustrations to get dimensions (or maybe David or someone else
      knows).  The 'felt' is nothing special, just thin (probably the
      lightest felt weight you can buy, in grey).</p>
    <p>The blanking panel has a single felt 'seal'--same for the R/H
      pedal holes--the steering column has a plate and a felt on either
      side of the scuttle.<br>
    </p>
    <p>Bob<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 5/20/2019 3:07 PM, Michael MacLean
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div class="yahoo-style-wrap" style="font-family:times new roman,
        new york, times, serif;font-size:16px;">
        <div>I am at the point of installing the suspension and steering
          of my BN2 restoration.  Today I am trying to figure out the
          two plates and seals that go on the firewall to seal the
          steering column outer tube.  I have one plate with a through
          hole on the passenger side, but nothing on the firewall side. 
          Do both of these plates have a seal sandwiched beneath them,
          or just one?  The seals are not available from the usual
          suspects, so I surmise I have to make them.  What material
          should they be?  Just plain rubber?  I have no plate for the
          seal on the inside of he car.  The only vendors I can find
          that sell that plate are overseas.  Don't want to make an
          order for such a small part with the prohibitive shipping
          costs.  I don't have very much in the way of metal cutting
          tools to make my own.  Any ideas where to source this plate?</div>
        <div>Mike MacLean<br>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">
</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------1AC75E4CFB780E8FD189FBA9--

--===============4694972832136799001==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4694972832136799001==--