Subject: [Healeys] Mystery leak.

From: Leonard Berkowitz via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 21:55:00 +0000

--===============7468382679348337575==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_MN2PR13MB3503554680F4DBEA4927B986B8FD0MN2PR13MB3503namp_"

--_000_MN2PR13MB3503554680F4DBEA4927B986B8FD0MN2PR13MB3503namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

So I was finally able to check the tightness of the pipe to float bowl and =
it seems to be ok. I also removed the float and there dis gasoline in the b=
owl but only below the orifice leading to the tube to the jet. Didn=92t see=
 any evidence of a crack or hole in the bowl. Now I will need to remove the=
 carburetor in order to change the jet and tube. Does anyone have any sugge=
stions on getting only the rear carb off. So far I have tried every contort=
ion I can but can=92t get to the lower front nut.  I think I will need to r=
emove both carbs in order to get the rear carb out. It has been 20-30 years=
 since I last rebuilt the carbs and don=92t remember exactly how I did it.

--_000_MN2PR13MB3503554680F4DBEA4927B986B8FD0MN2PR13MB3503namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DWindows-1=
252">
</head>
<body>
So I was finally able to check the tightness of the pipe to float bowl and =
it seems to be ok. I also removed the float and there dis gasoline in the b=
owl but only below the orifice leading to the tube to the jet. Didn=92t see=
 any evidence of a crack or hole in
 the bowl. Now I will need to remove the carburetor in order to change the =
jet and tube. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting only the rear car=
b off. So far I have tried every contortion I can but can=92t get to the lo=
wer front nut. &nbsp;I think I will need
 to remove both carbs in order to get the rear carb out. It has been 20-30 =
years since I last rebuilt the carbs and don=92t remember exactly how I did=
 it.&nbsp;
</body>
</html>

--_000_MN2PR13MB3503554680F4DBEA4927B986B8FD0MN2PR13MB3503namp_--

--===============7468382679348337575==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============7468382679348337575==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 14:50:36 -0800

Both carbs have to come off, as they're on studs and the throttle shafts 
are connected (the connector slides out, but only after you have the 
carbs out). Unfortunately, there are no secrets or tricks; but you'll 
want to use a 'stubby' end wrench (or cut a cheap half-inch end wrench 
in half). Last time I removed them from my BJ8, I went in from the front 
under both carbs to get the the lower/forward nut on the rear carb, 
which is the most difficult to reach. I have numerous scars on my hands 
and forearms from this and other mechanical endeavors (and working in an 
almond orchard; sometimes those trees feel like they have millions of 
fish hooks hanging from their branches).

I don't remember which car you have, but since you'll have both carbs on 
the bench it would be a good time to go through them and replace any 
worn parts (diaphragm for HD, packing for others). In fact, your leak 
could be from a split diaphragm it you have HD carbs.

Bob

On 11/22/2020 1:55 PM, Leonard Berkowitz via Healeys wrote:
> So I was finally able to check the tightness of the pipe to float bowl 
> and it seems to be ok. I also removed the float and there dis gasoline 
> in the bowl but only below the orifice leading to the tube to the jet. 
> Didn’t see any evidence of a crack or hole in the bowl. Now I will 
> need to remove the carburetor in order to change the jet and tube. 
> Does anyone have any suggestions on getting only the rear carb off. So 
> far I have tried every contortion I can but can’t get to the lower 
> front nut.  I think I will need to remove both carbs in order to get 
> the rear carb out. It has been 20-30 years since I last rebuilt the 
> carbs and don’t remember exactly how I did it. 

[email-masked]

ox.team.net