Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: My 100-6 1957

From: cjerryadams--- via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 11:53:11 -0600

--===============7197171599940778584==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-08AB1EC4-32D1-41CE-A21C-F1B7711D4D58
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

A wiring schematic would be very helpful. Moss has reprints of factory servi=
ce manuals. Also someone has large 11=E2=80=9Dx17=E2=80=9D laminated schemat=
ic with proper colors of wring offered.=20
Jerry BN2

Sent from my iPhone
> On Nov 6, 2020, at 10:43 AM, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF Correction: My old ammeter may have a shunt resistor. I don't re=
call one, but I haven't looked at it in years; I'll see if I can find it in m=
y parts stash. I didn't install it because it appeared full current could pa=
ss through it, and IIRC I figured 14ga wire or bigger might be needed, and w=
ould have to be routed through the scuttle and under the fascia.
>=20
> On 11/6/2020 7:13 AM, Bob Spidell wrote:
>> My quick take:
>>=20
>> He should:
>>=20
>> 1) Join this list.
>>=20
>> 2) Join at least one forum:
>>    https://www.britishcarforum.com
>>    https://www.ahexp.com/
>>=20
>> 3) This list's own David Nock is the go-to for tough problems and otherwi=
se impossible-to-find parts:
>>   http://www.britishcarspecialists.com
>>=20
>> FWIW: I got an ammeter for my BJ8 years ago; it's the only one I've seen f=
or Healeys--it is a Smiths--but I've been leery of installing it as it has t=
o go in series with one of the terminals on the voltage regulator--no shunt-=
-and AFAIK it carries full dis/charging current (possible major smoke produc=
er). If his has a shunt, it's likely an aftermarket and he probably needs to=
 contact the manufacturer (but it's likely for 12V systems and, conceivably,=
 all he as to do is wire it backwards for pos. gnd.). Getting the fuel gauge=
 to work properly can be an involved process; MGA Guru has the most comprehe=
nsive info I've seen: https://www.mgaguru.com//mgtech/fuel/fuel.htm
>>=20
>> Bob
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> On 11/6/2020 6:26 AM, BJ8Healeys wrote:
>>> Hello, Healeyphiles =E2=80=93
>>> =20
>>> I received the message below concerning issues with a BN4.   I=E2=80=99m=
 forwarding it to the experts.  If anyone can help, please contact Matt Mira=
bile directly.  Please see the attachments for the specific problems and que=
stions.
>>> =20
>>> Thanks!
>>> Steve Byers
>>> HBJ8L/36666
>>> BJ8 Registry
>>> AHCA Delegate at Large
>>> Havelock, NC  USA
>>> =20
>>>=20
>>> Begin forwarded message:
>>>=20
>>> From: MATTHEW MIRABILE <[email-masked]>
>>> Date: November 5, 2020 at 11:54:43 AM MST
>>> To: [email-masked]
>>> Subject: My 100-6 1957
>>>=20
>>> =EF=BB=BFPls help. I have the car since March 2019 , I bought it from a d=
ealer / estate sale in Benecia Cal.  I have 3-4 tech/wiring questions that m=
y Flagstaff Az mechanic could not solve.  I love the car and am disappointed=
 that he could not solve the problems. Can you send me a few email addresses=
 that I can send my issues to ? . I have an electrical background but no one=
 has been able to help me.  Thank you regards Matt Mirabile. 516-941-6167.=20=

>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
>>> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>>>=20
>>> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/arc=
hive
>>>=20
>>> [email-masked]
>>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>>>=20
>>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bspide=
[email-masked]
>>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> _______________________________________________
>> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>>=20
>> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/arch=
ive
>>=20
>> [email-masked]
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>>=20
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bspidel=
[email-masked]
>>=20
>=20
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archi=
ve
>=20
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/cjerryad=
[email-masked]
>=20

--Apple-Mail-08AB1EC4-32D1-41CE-A21C-F1B7711D4D58
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3D=
utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">A wiring schematic would be very helpful. M=
oss has reprints of factory service manuals. Also someone has large 11=E2=80=
=9Dx17=E2=80=9D laminated schematic with proper colors of wring offered.&nbs=
p;<div>Jerry BN2<br><br><div dir=3D"ltr">Sent from my iPhone</div><div dir=3D=
"ltr"><blockquote type=3D"cite">On Nov 6, 2020, at 10:43 AM, Bob Spidell &lt=
;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br><br></blockquote></div><blockquote type=3D=
"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr">=EF=BB=BF
 =20
    <meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUTF-8"=
 =20
 =20
    Correction: My old ammeter <i>may</i> have a shunt resistor. I
    don't recall one, but I haven't looked at it in years; I'll see if I
    can find it in my parts stash. I didn't install it because it
    appeared full current could pass through it, and IIRC I figured 14ga
    wire or bigger might be needed, and would have to be routed through
    the scuttle and under the fascia.<br>
    <br>
    <div class=3D"moz-cite-prefix">On 11/6/2020 7:13 AM, Bob Spidell
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type=3D"cite" cite=3D"mid:b29c1e95-541c-fcf7-385a-c9644a6d3c=
[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUTF-=
8">
      My quick take:<br>
      <br>
      He should:<br>
      <br>
      1) Join this list.<br>
      <br>
      2) Join at least one forum:<br>
      &nbsp;&nbsp; <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"https://www.br=
itishcarforum.com" moz-do-not-send=3D"true">https://www.britishcarforum.com<=
/a><br>
      &nbsp;&nbsp; <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"https://www.ah=
exp.com/" moz-do-not-send=3D"true">https://www.ahexp.com/</a><br>
      <br>
      3) This list's own David Nock is the go-to for tough problems and
      otherwise impossible-to-find parts:<br>
      &nbsp; <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://www.britishca=
rspecialists.com" moz-do-not-send=3D"true">http://www.britishcarspecialists.=
com</a><br>
      <br>
      FWIW: I got an ammeter for my BJ8 years ago; it's the only one
      I've seen for Healeys--it is a Smiths--but I've been leery of
      installing it as it has to go in series with one of the terminals
      on the voltage regulator--no shunt--and AFAIK it carries full
      dis/charging current (possible major smoke producer). If his has a
      shunt, it's likely an aftermarket and he probably needs to contact
      the manufacturer (but it's likely for 12V systems and,
      conceivably, all he as to do is wire it backwards for pos. gnd.).
      Getting the fuel gauge to work properly can be an involved
      process; MGA Guru has the most comprehensive info I've seen: <a class=3D=
"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"https://www.mgaguru.com//mgtech/fuel/fuel.ht=
m" moz-do-not-send=3D"true">https://www.mgaguru.com//mgtech/fuel/fuel.htm</a=
><br>
      <br>
      Bob<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <div class=3D"moz-cite-prefix">On 11/6/2020 6:26 AM, BJ8Healeys
        wrote:<br>
      </div>
      <blockquote type=3D"cite" cite=3D"mid:020401d6b448$c406bff0$4c143fd0$@=
rr.com">
        <meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html;
          charset=3DUTF-8">
        <meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 (filtered
          medium)">
        <style>
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
 /* Style Definitions */
 p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:8.0pt;
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
span.BalloonTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Balloon Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text";
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}</style>
        <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
  <o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
 </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
        <div class=3D"Section1">
          <p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;font-family=
:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Hello,
              Healeyphiles =E2=80=93<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          <p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;font-family=
:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p>=
</span></p>
          <p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;font-family=
:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">I
              received the message below concerning issues with a BN4.&nbsp;=
&nbsp;
              I=E2=80=99m forwarding it to the experts.&nbsp; If anyone can h=
elp,
              please contact Matt Mirabile directly.&nbsp; Please see the
              attachments for the specific problems and questions.<o:p></o:p=
></span></p>
          <p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;font-family=
:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p>=
</span></p>
          <p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;font-family=
:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Thanks!<o:p></o:p=
></span></p>
          <p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;font-family=
:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Steve
              Byers<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          <p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;font-family=
:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">HBJ8L/36666<o:p><=
/o:p></span></p>
          <p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;font-family=
:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">BJ8
              Registry<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          <p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;font-family=
:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">AHCA
              Delegate at Large<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          <p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;font-family=
:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Havelock,
              NC&nbsp; USA<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          <p class=3D"MsoNormal"><a name=3D"_MailEndCompose" moz-do-not-send=
=3D"true"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&=
nbsp;</o:p></span></a></p>
          <div>
            <p class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margin-bottom:12.0pt"><br>
              Begin forwarded message:<o:p></o:p></p>
          </div>
          <blockquote style=3D"margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt">
            <div>
              <blockquote style=3D"margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt">
                <div>
                  <p class=3D"MsoNormal" style=3D"margin-bottom:12.0pt"><b>From:=
</b>
                    MATTHEW MIRABILE <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href=
=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send=3D"true">&lt;matt2411@veriz=
on.net&gt;</a><br>
                    <b>Date:</b> November 5, 2020 at 11:54:43 AM MST<br>
                    <b>To: <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=3D"mai=
lto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send=3D"true">[email-masked]=
t</a></b><br>
                    <b>Subject:</b> <b>My 100-6 1957</b><o:p></o:p></p>
                </div>
              </blockquote>
              <blockquote style=3D"margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt">
                <div>
                  <p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-family:&quot;Ta=
homa&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">=EF=BB=BF</span>Pls
                    help. I have the car since March 2019 , I bought it
                    from a dealer / estate sale in Benecia Cal. &nbsp;I have=

                    3-4 tech/wiring questions that my Flagstaff Az
                    mechanic could not solve. &nbsp;I love the car and am
                    disappointed that he could not solve the problems.
                    Can you send me a few email addresses that I can
                    send my issues to ? . I have an electrical
                    background but no one has been able to help me.
                    &nbsp;Thank you regards Matt Mirabile. 516-941-6167. <br=
                    <br>
                    <br>
                    <br>
                    <br>
                    <o:p></o:p></p>
                </div>
              </blockquote>
            </div>
          </blockquote>
        </div>
        <br>
        <fieldset class=3D"mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
        <pre class=3D"moz-quote-pre" wrap=3D"">_____________________________=
__________________
net/donate.html" moz-do-not-send=3D"true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a=

Archive: <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipe=
rmail/healeys" moz-do-not-send=3D"true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healey=
s</a> <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archi=
ve" moz-do-not-send=3D"true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

<a class=3D"moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"=
 moz-do-not-send=3D"true">[email-masked]</a>
<a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/lis=
tinfo/healeys" moz-do-not-send=3D"true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listin=
fo/healeys</a>

team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send=3D"tr=
ue">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a>

</pre>
      </blockquote>
      <br>
      <br>
      <fieldset class=3D"mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class=3D"moz-quote-pre" wrap=3D"">_______________________________=
________________
net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>

Archive: <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipe=
rmail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class=3D"moz-txt=
-link-freetext" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net=
/archive</a>

<a class=3D"moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"=
>[email-masked]</a>
<a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/lis=
tinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net=
/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
 =20

<span>_______________________________________________</span><br><span>Suppor=
t Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html</span><br><span>Suggested annual d=
onation &nbsp;$12.75</span><br><span></span><br><span>Archive: http://www.te=
am.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive</span><br><span></spa=
n><br><span>[email-masked]</span><br><span>http://autox.team.net/mai=
lman/listinfo/healeys</span><br><span></span><br><span>Unsubscribe/Manage: h=
ttp://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</span><br=
><span></span><br></div></blockquote></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-08AB1EC4-32D1-41CE-A21C-F1B7711D4D58--

--===============7197171599940778584==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============7197171599940778584==--

---

From: Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 19:33:35 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5838359536323344724==
 boundary="------------F9DC354B80ECE988560B4A63"
Content-Language: en-GB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------F9DC354B80ECE988560B4A63
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

The Amp gauge should not have a shunt resistor. The rating should be 
compatible with the output of the generator. Mostly 20A or 30A. If you 
have an uprated generator you should replace the Amp gauge with a 50A, 
60A or 80A gauge, depending on output. Make sure the wiring is up to 
these amperages. You cannot damage the gauge when you have connected it 
up the wrong way. It will just read charge instead of discharge v.v. The 
can be rectified by changing over the wires. There are no pos. or neg. 
earth versions. An Amp gauge is fitted in the main supply cable, usually 
brown, but should exclude the starter motor circuit.

Most were Lucas branded but there are a few SMITHS and JAEGER branded 
ones. They are all identical technically as they were all made by the 
same manufacturer.

A much safer option is fitting a Voltage gauge which is fitted standard 
in cars with an alternator. This is just wired to the accessory terminal 
of the ignition switch. It will give you the same information.

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 6-11-2020 om 18:53 schreef cjerryadams--- via Healeys:
> A wiring schematic would be very helpful. Moss has reprints of factory 
> service manuals. Also someone has large 11”x17” laminated schematic 
> with proper colors of wring offered.
> Jerry BN2
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>>  Correction: My old ammeter /may/ have a shunt resistor. I don't 
>> recall one, but I haven't looked at it in years; I'll see if I can 
>> find it in my parts stash. I didn't install it because it appeared 
>> full current could pass through it, and IIRC I figured 14ga wire or 
>> bigger might be needed, and would have to be routed through the 
>> scuttle and under the fascia.
>>
>>> otherwise impossible-to-find parts:
>>> FWIW: I got an ammeter for my BJ8 years ago; it's the only one I've 
>>> seen for Healeys--it is a Smiths--but I've been leery of installing 
>>> it as it has to go in series with one of the terminals on the 
>>> voltage regulator--no shunt--and AFAIK it carries full dis/charging 
>>> current (possible major smoke producer). If his has a shunt, it's 
>>> likely an aftermarket and he probably needs to contact the 
>>> manufacturer (but it's likely for 12V systems and, conceivably, all 
>>> he as to do is wire it backwards for pos. gnd.). Getting the fuel 
>>> gauge to work properly can be an involved process; MGA Guru has the 
>>> most comprehensive info I've seen: 
>>> https://www.mgaguru.com//mgtech/fuel/fuel.htm
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> Hello, Healeyphiles –
>>>> I received the message below concerning issues with a BN4.   I’m 
>>>> forwarding it to the experts.  If anyone can help, please contact 
>>>> Matt Mirabile directly.  Please see the attachments for the 
>>>> specific problems and questions.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks!
>>>>
>>>> Steve Byers
>>>>
>>>> HBJ8L/36666
>>>>
>>>> BJ8 Registry
>>>>
>>>> AHCA Delegate at Large
>>>>
>>>> Havelock, NC  USA
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Begin forwarded message:
>>>>
>>>>         *From:* MATTHEW MIRABILE <[email-masked]>
>>>>         *Date:* November 5, 2020 at 11:54:43 AM MST
>>>>         *To: [email-masked]*
>>>>         *Subject:* *My 100-6 1957*
>>>>
>>>>         Pls help. I have the car since March 2019 , I bought it
>>>>         from a dealer / estate sale in Benecia Cal.  I have 3-4
>>>>         tech/wiring questions that my Flagstaff Az mechanic could
>>>>         not solve.  I love the car and am disappointed that he
>>>>         could not solve the problems. Can you send me a few email
>>>>         addresses that I can send my issues to ? . I have an
>>>>         electrical background but no one has been able to help me.
>>>>          Thank you regards Matt Mirabile. 516-941-6167.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Support Team.Nethttp://www.team.net/donate.html
>>>> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys  http://autox.team.net/archive
>>>>
>>>> [email-masked]
>>>> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Support Team.Nethttp://www.team.net/donate.html
>>> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys  http://autox.team.net/archive
>>>
>>> [email-masked]
>>> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>>>
>>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

--------------F9DC354B80ECE988560B4A63
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>The Amp gauge should not have a shunt resistor. The rating should
      be compatible with the output of the generator. Mostly 20A or 30A.
      If you have an uprated generator you should replace the Amp gauge
      with a 50A, 60A or 80A gauge, depending on output. Make sure the
      wiring is up to these amperages. You cannot damage the gauge when
      you have connected it up the wrong way. It will just read charge
      instead of discharge v.v. The can be rectified by changing over
      the wires. There are no pos. or neg. earth versions. An Amp gauge
      is fitted in the main supply cable, usually brown, but should
      exclude the starter motor circuit.<br>
    </p>
    <p>Most were Lucas branded but there are a few SMITHS and JAEGER
      branded ones. They are all identical technically as they were all
      made by the same manufacturer. <br>
    </p>
    <p>A much safer option is fitting a Voltage gauge which is fitted
      standard in cars with an alternator. This is just wired to the
      accessory terminal of the ignition switch. It will give you the
      same information.<br>
    </p>
    <p>Kees Oudesluijs</p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Op 6-11-2020 om 18:53 schreef
      cjerryadams--- via Healeys:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      A wiring schematic would be very helpful. Moss has reprints of
      factory service manuals. Also someone has large 11”x17” laminated
      schematic with proper colors of wring offered. 
      <div>Jerry BN2<br>
        <br>
        <div dir="ltr">Sent from my iPhone</div>
        <div dir="ltr">
          <blockquote type="cite">On Nov 6, 2020, at 10:43 AM, Bob
            Spidell <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
            <br>
          </blockquote>
        </div>
        <blockquote type="cite">
          <div dir="ltr">
            <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
              charset=UTF-8">
            Correction: My old ammeter <i>may</i> have a shunt
            resistor. I don't recall one, but I haven't looked at it in
            years; I'll see if I can find it in my parts stash. I didn't
            install it because it appeared full current could pass
            through it, and IIRC I figured 14ga wire or bigger might be
            needed, and would have to be routed through the scuttle and
            under the fascia.<br>
            <br>
            <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/6/2020 7:13 AM, Bob
              Spidell wrote:<br>
            </div>
            <blockquote type="cite"
              cite="mid:[email-masked]">
              <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
                charset=UTF-8">
              My quick take:<br>
              <br>
              He should:<br>
              <br>
              1) Join this list.<br>
              <br>
              2) Join at least one forum:<br>
                 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
                href="https://www.britishcarforum.com"
                moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.britishcarforum.com</a><br>
                 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
                href="https://www.ahexp.com/" moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.ahexp.com/</a><br>
              <br>
              3) This list's own David Nock is the go-to for tough
              problems and otherwise impossible-to-find parts:<br>
                <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
                href="http://www.britishcarspecialists.com"
                moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.britishcarspecialists.com</a><br>
              <br>
              FWIW: I got an ammeter for my BJ8 years ago; it's the only
              one I've seen for Healeys--it is a Smiths--but I've been
              leery of installing it as it has to go in series with one
              of the terminals on the voltage regulator--no shunt--and
              AFAIK it carries full dis/charging current (possible major
              smoke producer). If his has a shunt, it's likely an
              aftermarket and he probably needs to contact the
              manufacturer (but it's likely for 12V systems and,
              conceivably, all he as to do is wire it backwards for pos.
              gnd.). Getting the fuel gauge to work properly can be an
              involved process; MGA Guru has the most comprehensive info
              I've seen: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
                href="https://www.mgaguru.com//mgtech/fuel/fuel.htm"
                moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.mgaguru.com//mgtech/fuel/fuel.htm</a><br>
              <br>
              Bob<br>
              <br>
              <br>
              <br>
              <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/6/2020 6:26 AM,
                BJ8Healeys wrote:<br>
              </div>
              <blockquote type="cite"
                cite="mid:[email-masked]">
                <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
                  charset=UTF-8">
                <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12
                  (filtered medium)">
                <style>
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
 /* Style Definitions */
 p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:8.0pt;
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
span.BalloonTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Balloon Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text";
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}</style>
                <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
  <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
 </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
                <div class="Section1">
                  <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Hello,
                      Healeyphiles –<o:p></o:p></span></p>
                  <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
                  <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">I
                      received the message below concerning issues with
                      a BN4.   I’m forwarding it to the experts.  If
                      anyone can help, please contact Matt Mirabile
                      directly.  Please see the attachments for the
                      specific problems and questions.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
                  <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
                  <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Thanks!<o:p></o:p></span></p>
                  <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Steve
                      Byers<o:p></o:p></span></p>
                  <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">HBJ8L/36666<o:p></o:p></span></p>
                  <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">BJ8
                      Registry<o:p></o:p></span></p>
                  <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">AHCA
                      Delegate at Large<o:p></o:p></span></p>
                  <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Havelock,
                      NC  USA<o:p></o:p></span></p>
                  <p class="MsoNormal"><a name="_MailEndCompose"
                      moz-do-not-send="true"><span
                        style="font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p> </o:p></span></a></p>
                  <div>
                    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:12.0pt"><br>
                      Begin forwarded message:<o:p></o:p></p>
                  </div>
                  <blockquote
                    style="margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt">
                    <div>
                      <blockquote
                        style="margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt">
                        <div>
                          <p class="MsoNormal"
                            style="margin-bottom:12.0pt"><b>From:</b>
                            MATTHEW MIRABILE <a
                              class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
                              href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                              moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
                            <b>Date:</b> November 5, 2020 at 11:54:43 AM
                            MST<br>
                            <b>To: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
                                href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                                moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a></b><br>
                            <b>Subject:</b> <b>My 100-6 1957</b><o:p></o:p></p>
                        </div>
                      </blockquote>
                      <blockquote
                        style="margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt">
                        <div>
                          <p class="MsoNormal"><span
                              style="font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"></span>Pls
                            help. I have the car since March 2019 , I
                            bought it from a dealer / estate sale in
                            Benecia Cal.  I have 3-4 tech/wiring
                            questions that my Flagstaff Az mechanic
                            could not solve.  I love the car and am
                            disappointed that he could not solve the
                            problems. Can you send me a few email
                            addresses that I can send my issues to ? . I
                            have an electrical background but no one has
                            been able to help me.  Thank you regards
                            Matt Mirabile. 516-941-6167. <br>
                            <br>
                            <br>
                            <br>
                            <br>
                            <o:p></o:p></p>
                        </div>
                      </blockquote>
                    </div>
                  </blockquote>
                </div>
                <br>
                <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
                <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive" moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
              </blockquote>
              <br>
              <br>
              <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
              <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive" moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
            </blockquote>
            <br>
            <span>_______________________________________________</span><br>
            <span>Support Team.Net <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></span><br>
            <span>Suggested annual donation  $12.75</span><br>
            <span></span><br>
            <span>Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
              <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a></span><br>
            <span></span><br>
            <span><a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a></span><br>
            <span><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a></span><br>
            <span></span><br>
            <span>Unsubscribe/Manage:
              <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a></span><br>
            <span></span><br>
          </div>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------F9DC354B80ECE988560B4A63--

--===============5838359536323344724==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5838359536323344724==--

---

From: "BJ8Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 14:23:15 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============4951549230854937103==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0274_01D6B448.5DE2ADB0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0274_01D6B448.5DE2ADB0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Listers:  it would be helpful if you would also Cc your response to the =
person who is asking for the information ([email-masked]) so that =
I do not have to forward it to him individually.

He is not a member of this list and does not automatically receive your =
responses.  I thought we could provide the information he is requesting =
without the need for him to sign up on the list first.  He may decide to =
do so (or not) based on what help he receives.

=20

Thank you!

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large

Havelock, NC  USA

=20

From: Healeys [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Kees =
Oudesluijs via Healeys
Sent: Friday, November 6, 2020 1:34 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: My 100-6 1957

=20

The Amp gauge should not have a shunt resistor. The rating should be =
compatible with the output of the generator. Mostly 20A or 30A. If you =
have an uprated generator you should replace the Amp gauge with a 50A, =
60A or 80A gauge, depending on output. Make sure the wiring is up to =
these amperages. You cannot damage the gauge when you have connected it =
up the wrong way. It will just read charge instead of discharge v.v. The =
can be rectified by changing over the wires. There are no pos. or neg. =
earth versions. An Amp gauge is fitted in the main supply cable, usually =
brown, but should exclude the starter motor circuit.

Most were Lucas branded but there are a few SMITHS and JAEGER branded =
ones. They are all identical technically as they were all made by the =
same manufacturer.=20

A much safer option is fitting a Voltage gauge which is fitted standard =
in cars with an alternator. This is just wired to the accessory terminal =
of the ignition switch. It will give you the same information.

Kees Oudesluijs

=20

=20

A wiring schematic would be very helpful. Moss has reprints of factory =
service manuals. Also someone has large 11=E2=80=9Dx17=E2=80=9D =
laminated schematic with proper colors of wring offered. =20

Jerry BN2

Sent from my iPhone

<[email-masked]> wrote:

=EF=BB=BF Correction: My old ammeter may have a shunt resistor. I don't =
recall one, but I haven't looked at it in years; I'll see if I can find =
it in my parts stash. I didn't install it because it appeared full =
current could pass through it, and IIRC I figured 14ga wire or bigger =
might be needed, and would have to be routed through the scuttle and =
under the fascia.

My quick take:

He should:

1) Join this list.

3) This list's own David Nock is the go-to for tough problems and =
otherwise impossible-to-find parts:
  http://www.britishcarspecialists.com

FWIW: I got an ammeter for my BJ8 years ago; it's the only one I've seen =
for Healeys--it is a Smiths--but I've been leery of installing it as it =
has to go in series with one of the terminals on the voltage =
regulator--no shunt--and AFAIK it carries full dis/charging current =
(possible major smoke producer). If his has a shunt, it's likely an =
aftermarket and he probably needs to contact the manufacturer (but it's =
likely for 12V systems and, conceivably, all he as to do is wire it =
backwards for pos. gnd.). Getting the fuel gauge to work properly can be =
an involved process; MGA Guru has the most comprehensive info I've seen: =
https://www.mgaguru.com//mgtech/fuel/fuel.htm =
<https://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/fuel/fuel.htm>=20

Bob

=20

I received the message below concerning issues with a BN4.   I=E2=80=99m =
forwarding it to the experts.  If anyone can help, please contact Matt =
Mirabile directly.  Please see the attachments for the specific problems =
and questions.

=20

Thanks!

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large

Havelock, NC  USA

=20

Begin forwarded message:

<[email-masked]>

=EF=BB=BFPls help. I have the car since March 2019 , I bought it from a =
dealer / estate sale in Benecia Cal.  I have 3-4 tech/wiring questions =
that my Flagstaff Az mechanic could not solve.  I love the car and am =
disappointed that he could not solve the problems. Can you send me a few =
email addresses that I can send my issues to ? . I have an electrical =
background but no one has been able to help me.  Thank you regards Matt =
Mirabile. 516-941-6167.=20

_______________________________________________
=20
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys =
http://autox.team.net/archive
=20
[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
=20
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
=20

_______________________________________________
=20
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys =
http://autox.team.net/archive
=20
[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
=20
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
=20

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys =
http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
=20
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys =
http://autox.team.net/archive
=20
[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
=20
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
=20

------=_NextPart_000_0274_01D6B448.5DE2ADB0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

<head>
<meta http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8">
<meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 (filtered medium)">
<style>
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Consolas;
	panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
 /* Style Definitions */
 p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
pre
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";}
p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:8.0pt;
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
span.BalloonTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Balloon Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text";
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
	{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
	font-family:Consolas;}
span.EmailStyle23
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
</style>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
  <o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
 </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>

<body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue vlink=3Dpurple>

<div class=3DSection1>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>Listers:=C2=A0 it would be helpful if you would also Cc =
your response
to the person who is asking for the information (<a
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>) so that I =
do not
have to forward it to him individually.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>He is not a member of this list and does not =
automatically
receive your responses.=C2=A0 I thought we could provide the information =
he is
requesting without the need for him to sign up on the list first.=C2=A0 =
He may
decide to do so (or not) based on what help he =
receives.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>Thank you!<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>Steve Byers<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>HBJ8L/36666<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>BJ8 Registry<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>AHCA Delegate at Large<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>Havelock, NC=C2=A0 USA<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><a name=3D"_MailEndCompose"><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span=
></a></p>

<div>

<div style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt =
0in 0in 0in'>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> Healeys
[mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of </b>Kees =
Oudesluijs via
Healeys<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Friday, November 6, 2020 1:34 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] FW: My 100-6 1957<o:p></o:p></span></p>

</div>

</div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>

<p>The Amp gauge should not have a shunt resistor. The rating should be
compatible with the output of the generator. Mostly 20A or 30A. If you =
have an
uprated generator you should replace the Amp gauge with a 50A, 60A or =
80A
gauge, depending on output. Make sure the wiring is up to these =
amperages. You
cannot damage the gauge when you have connected it up the wrong way. It =
will
just read charge instead of discharge v.v. The can be rectified by =
changing over
the wires. There are no pos. or neg. earth versions. An Amp gauge is =
fitted in
the main supply cable, usually brown, but should exclude the starter =
motor
circuit.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p>Most were Lucas branded but there are a few SMITHS and JAEGER branded =
ones.
They are all identical technically as they were all made by the same
manufacturer. <o:p></o:p></p>

<p>A much safer option is fitting a Voltage gauge which is fitted =
standard in
cars with an alternator. This is just wired to the accessory terminal of =
the
ignition switch. It will give you the same information.<o:p></o:p></p>

<p>Kees Oudesluijs<o:p></o:p></p>

<p><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>

<p><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal>Op 6-11-2020 om 18:53 schreef cjerryadams--- via =
Healeys:<o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

<blockquote style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'>

<p class=3DMsoNormal>A wiring schematic would be very helpful. Moss has =
reprints
of factory service manuals. Also someone has large =
11=E2=80=9Dx17=E2=80=9D laminated schematic
with proper colors of wring offered.&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></p>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>Jerry =
BN2<o:p></o:p></p>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal>Sent from my iPhone<o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

<div>

<blockquote style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>On Nov 6, 2020, at =
10:43 AM,
Bob Spidell <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a>
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>

</blockquote>

</div>

<blockquote style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>=EF=BB=BF</span>
Correction: My old ammeter <i>may</i> have a shunt resistor. I don't =
recall
one, but I haven't looked at it in years; I'll see if I can find it in =
my parts
stash. I didn't install it because it appeared full current could pass =
through
it, and IIRC I figured 14ga wire or bigger might be needed, and would =
have to
be routed through the scuttle and under the fascia.<o:p></o:p></p>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal>On 11/6/2020 7:13 AM, Bob Spidell =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

<blockquote style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>My quick take:<br>
<br>
He should:<br>
<br>
1) Join this list.<br>
<br>
2) Join at least one forum:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; <a =
href=3D"https://www.britishcarforum.com">https://www.britishcarforum.com<=
/a><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; <a =
href=3D"https://www.ahexp.com/">https://www.ahexp.com/</a><br>
<br>
3) This list's own David Nock is the go-to for tough problems and =
otherwise
impossible-to-find parts:<br>
&nbsp; <a =
href=3D"http://www.britishcarspecialists.com">http://www.britishcarspecia=
lists.com</a><br>
<br>
FWIW: I got an ammeter for my BJ8 years ago; it's the only one I've seen =
for
Healeys--it is a Smiths--but I've been leery of installing it as it has =
to go
in series with one of the terminals on the voltage regulator--no =
shunt--and
AFAIK it carries full dis/charging current (possible major smoke =
producer). If
his has a shunt, it's likely an aftermarket and he probably needs to =
contact
the manufacturer (but it's likely for 12V systems and, conceivably, all =
he as
to do is wire it backwards for pos. gnd.). Getting the fuel gauge to =
work
properly can be an involved process; MGA Guru has the most comprehensive =
info
I've seen: <a =
href=3D"https://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/fuel/fuel.htm">https://www.mgaguru=
.com//mgtech/fuel/fuel.htm</a><br>
<br>
Bob<br>
<br>
<br>
<o:p></o:p></p>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal>On 11/6/2020 6:26 AM, BJ8Healeys =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

<blockquote style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>Hello, Healeyphiles =E2=80=93</span><o:p></o:p></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>I received the message below concerning issues with a
BN4.&nbsp;&nbsp; I=E2=80=99m forwarding it to the experts.&nbsp; If =
anyone can help,
please contact Matt Mirabile directly.&nbsp; Please see the attachments =
for the
specific problems and questions.</span><o:p></o:p></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>Thanks!</span><o:p></o:p></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>Steve Byers</span><o:p></o:p></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>HBJ8L/36666</span><o:p></o:p></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>BJ8 Registry</span><o:p></o:p></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>AHCA Delegate at Large</span><o:p></o:p></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>Havelock, NC&nbsp; USA</span><o:p></o:p></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><br>
Begin forwarded message:<o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

<blockquote style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'>

<div>

<blockquote style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><b>From:</b> MATTHEW =
MIRABILE <a
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>=

<b>Date:</b> November 5, 2020 at 11:54:43 AM MST<br>
<b>To: <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a></b><b=
r>
<b>Subject:</b> <b>My 100-6 1957</b><o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

</blockquote>

<blockquote style=3D'margin-top:5.0pt;margin-bottom:5.0pt'>

<div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>=EF=BB=BF</span>Pls
help. I have the car since March 2019 , I bought it from a dealer / =
estate sale
in Benecia Cal. &nbsp;I have 3-4 tech/wiring questions that my Flagstaff =
Az
mechanic could not solve. &nbsp;I love the car and am disappointed that =
he
could not solve the problems. Can you send me a few email addresses that =
I can
send my issues to ? . I have an electrical background but no one has =
been able
to help me. &nbsp;Thank you regards Matt Mirabile. 516-941-6167. <br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

</blockquote>

</div>

</blockquote>

</div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><br>
<br>
<o:p></o:p></p>

<pre>_______________________________________________<o:p></o:p></pre><pre=
>Support Team.Net <a
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html<=
/a><o:p></o:p></pre><pre>Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 =
$12.75<o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre><pre>Archive: <a
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/piperm=
ail/healeys</a> <a
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><=
o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre><pre><a
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><o:p></o=
:p></pre><pre><a
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team=
.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p><=
/pre><pre>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]=
t">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a>=
<o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre></blockquote>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><br>
<br>
<br>
<o:p></o:p></p>

<pre>_______________________________________________<o:p></o:p></pre><pre=
>Support Team.Net <a
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html<=
/a><o:p></o:p></pre><pre>Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 =
$12.75<o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre><pre>Archive: <a
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/piperm=
ail/healeys</a> <a
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><=
o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre><pre><a
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><o:p></o=
:p></pre><pre><a
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team=
.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p><=
/pre><pre>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]=
t">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a>=
<o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre></blockquote>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><br>
_______________________________________________<br>
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html<=
/a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/piperm=
ail/healeys</a>
<a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><=
br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team=
.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]=
om">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</=
a><o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

</blockquote>

</div>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><br>
<br>
<o:p></o:p></p>

<pre>_______________________________________________<o:p></o:p></pre><pre=
>Support Team.Net <a
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html<=
/a><o:p></o:p></pre><pre>Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 =
$12.75<o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre><pre>Archive: <a
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/piperm=
ail/healeys</a> <a
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><=
o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre><pre><a
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><o:p></o=
:p></pre><pre><a
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team=
.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p><=
/pre><pre>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.=
nl">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</=
a><o:p></o:p></pre><pre><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></pre></blockquote>

</div>

</body>

</html>

------=_NextPart_000_0274_01D6B448.5DE2ADB0--

--===============4951549230854937103==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4951549230854937103==--