Subject: Re: [Healeys] Springs holding the shift stick in the tower housing

From: Bob Haskell via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 10:46:16 -0500

Bob,

I use needle nose vice grips held vertically to install the retainer.

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
Austin Healey 3000 BN7/BT7 registrar

On 11/15/21 9:08 AM, Bob Begani via Healeys wrote:
>
> Thanks to those who helped me, I confirmed that the screws were not 
> worn and I needed a new nylon bearing.  It snaped around the ball so I 
> applied lithium grease to the end and the sides of the stick and 
> housing installed the screws.  When for a ride noting that the 
> shifting was nice and smooth like it should be.  I did all this 
> without removing the tunnel which makes it difficult to install the 
> springs and circle clip retainer into the tower.  Any suggestions?
>
> Regards,
>
> Bob Begani
>
> BJ8 67
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

ox.team.net

---

From: Bob via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 13:13:54 -0500 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_02EE_01D7DA22.A436FF90"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_02EE_01D7DA22.A436FF90
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_02EF_01D7DA22.A43726A0"

------=_NextPart_001_02EF_01D7DA22.A43726A0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Bob,

I had the same difficulty installing the spring, washer, and circlip =
last
month.  After some thought, I made a very simple and inexpensive tool =
that
was VERY effective.

Take a 1 =BD inch PVC pipe, cut around 10 inches long

With a grinder, bevel one end.

With a grinder, cut two notches in the other end.

Tool is complete!

The retainer washer will just fit on the beveled and of the PVC pipe but =
not
slip onto the pipe.

The circlip will fit around the PVC pipe.

Place the spring and washer over the shift stick and onto the tower. =
Place
the PVC pipe over the shift stick and into the washer. Place the circlip
over the PVC pipe.

Now for the magic. With the doors open, take a string or cord, wrap =
under
the car and over the PVC pipe (laying it into the two cut notches).  =
Pull
tight and tie the ends together. Then with a tourniquet knot =
(screwdriver in
picture), tighten the cord.  This will push down AND HOLD the PVC
pipe/washer/spring.  Use needle nose plyers to insert circlip.

See attached pictures

My description probably sounds more complicated than it is.  Less than 5
minutes to make the tool, and less than 5 minutes to assemble =
everything.

Good luck. Any questions, just ask.

Bob Simmen

=20

From: Healeys <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Bob Begani =
via
Healeys
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2021 9:09 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Healeys] Springs holding the shift stick in the tower housing

=20

Thanks to those who helped me, I confirmed that the screws were not worn =
and
I needed a new nylon bearing.  It snaped around the ball so I applied
lithium grease to the end and the sides of the stick and housing =
installed
the screws.  When for a ride noting that the shifting was nice and =
smooth
like it should be.  I did all this without removing the tunnel which =
makes
it difficult to install the springs and circle clip retainer into the =
tower.
Any suggestions?

=20

Regards,

=20

Bob Begani

BJ8 67

------=_NextPart_001_02EF_01D7DA22.A43726A0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word =
15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
/* List Definitions */
@list l0
	{mso-list-id:299382556;
	mso-list-type:hybrid;
	mso-list-template-ids:-325272792 67698703 67698713 67698715 67698703 =
67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715;}
@list l0:level1
	{mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level2
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level3
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
@list l0:level4
	{mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level5
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level6
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
@list l0:level7
	{mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level8
	{mso-level-number-format:alpha-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level9
	{mso-level-number-format:roman-lower;
	mso-level-tab-stop:none;
	mso-level-number-position:right;
	text-indent:-9.0pt;}
ol
	{margin-bottom:0in;}
ul
	{margin-bottom:0in;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>Bob,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I had the same difficulty installing the spring, =
washer, and circlip last month. =A0After some thought, I made a very =
simple and inexpensive tool that was <b>VERY</b> =
effective.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Take a 1 =BD inch PVC =
pipe, cut around 10 inches long<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>With =
a grinder, bevel one end.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>With a =
grinder, cut two notches in the other end.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Tool is complete!<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The retainer washer will just fit on the beveled and =
of the PVC pipe but not slip onto the pipe.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The circlip will fit around the PVC =
pipe.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Place the spring and washer =
over the shift stick and onto the tower. Place the PVC pipe over the =
shift stick and into the washer. Place the circlip over the PVC =
pipe.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Now for the magic. With the =
doors open, take a string or cord, wrap under the car and over the PVC =
pipe (laying it into the two cut notches).=A0 Pull tight and tie the =
ends together. Then with a tourniquet knot (screwdriver in picture), =
tighten the cord.=A0 This will push down <u>AND HOLD</u> the PVC =
pipe/washer/spring.=A0 Use needle nose plyers to insert =
circlip.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>See attached =
pictures<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>My description probably =
sounds more complicated than it is.=A0 Less than 5 minutes to make the =
tool, and less than 5 minutes to assemble everything.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Good luck. Any questions, just ask.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Bob Simmen<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> Healeys =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Bob Begani =
via Healeys<br><b>Sent:</b> Monday, November 15, 2021 9:09 =
AM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [Healeys] =
Springs holding the shift stick in the tower =
housing<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Thanks to =
those who helped me, I confirmed that the screws were not worn and I =
needed a new nylon bearing.&nbsp; It snaped around the ball so I applied =
lithium grease to the end and the sides of the stick and housing =
installed the screws.&nbsp; When for a ride noting that the shifting was =
nice and smooth like it should be.&nbsp; I did all this without removing =
the tunnel which makes it difficult to install the springs and circle =
clip retainer into the tower.&nbsp; Any =
suggestions?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Regards,<o:p></=
o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Bob =
Begani<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>BJ8 =
67<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_001_02EF_01D7DA22.A43726A0--

------=_NextPart_000_02EE_01D7DA22.A436FF90
	name="Gear shift clip tool - PVC pipe.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Gear shift clip tool - PVC pipe.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_02EE_01D7DA22.A436FF90
	name="Gear shift clip tool.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Gear shift clip tool.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_02EE_01D7DA22.A436FF90
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_02EE_01D7DA22.A436FF90--

---

From: Bob Begani via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 14:55:46 -0500

--===============1287108164084602847==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0193_01D7DA30.DF866050"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_0193_01D7DA30.DF866050
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Bob, thanks, on my way to the hardware store fir the pipe.  Will let you
know how it goes.  Love this Group.

=20

Bob

=20

From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>=20
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2021 1:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Healeys] Springs holding the shift stick in the tower =
housing

=20

Bob,

Tool is complete!

See attached pictures

Bob Simmen

=20

From: Healeys <[email-masked]
Healeys
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2021 9:09 AM
Subject: [Healeys] Springs holding the shift stick in the tower housing

=20

=20

Regards,

=20

Bob Begani

BJ8 67

------=_NextPart_000_0193_01D7DA30.DF866050
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta name=3DGenerator =
content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Bob, thanks, =
on my way to the hardware store fir the pipe.=A0 Will let you know how =
it goes.=A0 Love this Group.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Bob<o:p></o:p><=
/span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><div><div style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 =
1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> =
[email-masked] &lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br><b>Sent:</b> =
Monday, November 15, 2021 1:14 PM<br><b>To:</b> =
[email-masked]<br><b>Cc:</b> =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> RE: [Healeys] Springs holding =
the shift stick in the tower housing<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Bob,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I had the same =
difficulty installing the spring, washer, and circlip last month. =
&nbsp;After some thought, I made a very simple and inexpensive tool that =
was <b>VERY</b> effective.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Take a 1 =
=BD inch PVC pipe, cut around 10 inches long<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>With a grinder, bevel one end.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>With a grinder, cut two notches in the other =
end.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Tool is =
complete!<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>The retainer washer will =
just fit on the beveled and of the PVC pipe but not slip onto the =
pipe.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>The circlip will fit around the =
PVC pipe.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Place the spring and washer =
over the shift stick and onto the tower. Place the PVC pipe over the =
shift stick and into the washer. Place the circlip over the PVC =
pipe.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Now for the magic. With the =
doors open, take a string or cord, wrap under the car and over the PVC =
pipe (laying it into the two cut notches).&nbsp; Pull tight and tie the =
ends together. Then with a tourniquet knot (screwdriver in picture), =
tighten the cord.&nbsp; This will push down <u>AND HOLD</u> the PVC =
pipe/washer/spring.&nbsp; Use needle nose plyers to insert =
circlip.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>See attached =
pictures<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>My description probably =
sounds more complicated than it is.&nbsp; Less than 5 minutes to make =
the tool, and less than 5 minutes to assemble =
everything.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Good luck. Any questions, =
just ask.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Bob Simmen<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> Healeys &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
.net</a>&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Bob Begani via Healeys<br><b>Sent:</b> =
Monday, November 15, 2021 9:09 AM<br><b>To:</b> <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br><b>S=
ubject:</b> [Healeys] Springs holding the shift stick in the tower =
housing<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Thanks to =
those who helped me, I confirmed that the screws were not worn and I =
needed a new nylon bearing.&nbsp; It snaped around the ball so I applied =
lithium grease to the end and the sides of the stick and housing =
installed the screws.&nbsp; When for a ride noting that the shifting was =
nice and smooth like it should be.&nbsp; I did all this without removing =
the tunnel which makes it difficult to install the springs and circle =
clip retainer into the tower.&nbsp; Any =
suggestions?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Regards,<o:p></=
o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Bob =
Begani<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>BJ8 =
67<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0193_01D7DA30.DF866050--

--===============1287108164084602847==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1287108164084602847==--