Subject: [Healeys] Water Temperature gauge Bezel

From: Bob Begani via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 06:19:40 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============8411180195894765134==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_08C4_01D7D5FA.F1EF2180"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_08C4_01D7D5FA.F1EF2180
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Listeners:

As the Davis Craig Electric Water Pump with the Electric Fan pushing are
working to reduce the overheating and boil over on my BJ8, it now comes time
to move the needle back 90 degrees because that is the amount the gauge is
off.  Someone mentioned that I do not need to send the gauge out for repair,
I could simply remove the bezel. Please explain how to get it of and back on
without breaking it.

Regards,

Bob Begani

67 BJ8

------=_NextPart_000_08C4_01D7D5FA.F1EF2180
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Listeners:<o:p>=
</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>As the Davis =
Craig Electric Water Pump with the Electric Fan pushing are working to =
reduce the overheating and boil over on my BJ8, it now comes time to =
move the needle back 90 degrees because that is the amount the gauge is =
off.&nbsp; Someone mentioned that I do not need to send the gauge out =
for repair, I could simply remove the bezel. Please explain how to get =
it of and back on without breaking it.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Regards,<o:p></=
o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Bob =
Begani<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>67 =
BJ8<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_08C4_01D7D5FA.F1EF2180--

--===============8411180195894765134==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============8411180195894765134==--

---

From: Bob Begani via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 08:48:50 -0500

--===============1879245215773547250==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_091C_01D7D60F.C92CD110"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_091C_01D7D60F.C92CD110
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Thanks, Mirek for the detailed information.  I have printed the entire
script and will keep it in my files for the opportunity to consider the =
DIY
method you advise.

One of my Healey things to do in the next 6 months.  Meanwhile, I know =
what
is the correct temperature and not worried about the gauge showing  =
between
230 degrees and 212 degrees after settling down below 212 degrees while
driving.

=20

Regards,

=20

Bob Begani

=20

From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>=20
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 8:05 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Healeys] Water Temperature gauge Bezel

=20

Bob, I assume the later gauges are the same as  the earlier ones.  If =
you
look carefully at the body of the gauge where the bezel fits over the =
rim,
you will see three notches.   It is not easy, but the bezel can be =
rotated
so the tabs line up with the notches and the bezel can be carefully =
pried
off.  Often the bezels are stuck as they have been there so long.  You =
can
try very gently prying the tabs open a bit, but they are fragile and =
break
easily, then the bezel is useless.  Below, John recommends against =
bending
the tabs, but I have done so successfully a few times, but I did break =
one
once too!

=20

I asked John Marks of Vintage Restorations (retired instrument restorer) =
and
here is his reply:

=20

3.	=93Dont bend bezel lugs up they usually break off.   We have a steel
rod about 5/8=94 by =BC=94 with holes for the fixing studs and a bit cut =
to clear
the cable drive.  Put this in a vice, mount the instrument on the holes, =
and
try to turn the bezel off the case using rubber gloves.   Good luck!=94  =
(I
think the =93rod=94 John refers to is probably a flat bar)

=20

The needle can be very gently pried off the spindle.  I used two small
jewelers screwdrivers, one on each side.  It can be then gently pressed =
back
on in the right position.  I did have one needle that would slip on the
spindle and I used the tiniest blob of clear silicone to hold it in =
place.
I would not use glue as it will never come apart in the future. =20

=20

You have probably thought of it, but I would get a container of water, a
reliable thermometer and a heating element and calibrate the instrument
before replacing the bezel.

=20

Lastly, when you pull the gauge away from the facia, you will likely =
destroy
the rubber ring that goes between the gauge and the facia.  Try to save =
it
if you can, but the rubber is usually perished.  If you need to replace =
it,
look at it carefully as on some of the instruments the rubber is a =
normal
o-ring, but on some, I think the big instruments, the rubber has a =
square
section and is not round.  Replacement rubbers are available from =
Nisongers
(www.nisonger.com <http://www.nisonger.com> ), and probably other =
sources.

=20

Good luck, Mirek

=20

=20

From: Healeys <[email-masked]
Healeys
Sent: November 10, 2021 6:20 AM
Subject: [Healeys] Water Temperature gauge Bezel

=20

Listeners:

=20

As the Davis Craig Electric Water Pump with the Electric Fan pushing are
working to reduce the overheating and boil over on my BJ8, it now comes =
time
to move the needle back 90 degrees because that is the amount the gauge =
is
off.  Someone mentioned that I do not need to send the gauge out for =
repair,
I could simply remove the bezel. Please explain how to get it of and =
back on
without breaking it.

=20

Regards,

=20

Bob Begani

67 BJ8

------=_NextPart_000_091C_01D7D60F.C92CD110
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta name=3DGenerator =
content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
/* List Definitions */
@list l0
	{mso-list-id:87696239;
	mso-list-template-ids:5270694;}
@list l0:level1
	{mso-level-start-at:3;
	mso-level-tab-stop:.5in;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level2
	{mso-level-tab-stop:1.0in;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level3
	{mso-level-tab-stop:1.5in;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level4
	{mso-level-tab-stop:2.0in;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level5
	{mso-level-tab-stop:2.5in;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level6
	{mso-level-tab-stop:3.0in;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level7
	{mso-level-tab-stop:3.5in;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level8
	{mso-level-tab-stop:4.0in;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l0:level9
	{mso-level-tab-stop:4.5in;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
@list l1
	{mso-list-id:146290956;
	mso-list-template-ids:-1548288482;}
@list l1:level1
	{mso-level-start-at:3;
	mso-level-tab-stop:.5in;
	mso-level-number-position:left;
	text-indent:-.25in;}
ol
	{margin-bottom:0in;}
ul
	{margin-bottom:0in;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Thanks, Mirek =
for the detailed information.=A0 I have printed the entire script and =
will keep it in my files for the opportunity to consider the DIY method =
you advise.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>One of my =
Healey things to do in the next 6 months.=A0 Meanwhile, I know what is =
the correct temperature and not worried about the gauge showing =
=A0between 230 degrees and 212 degrees after settling down below 212 =
degrees while driving.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Regards,<o:p></=
o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Bob =
Begani<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><div><div style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 =
1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> =
[email-masked] &lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br><b>Sent:</b> =
Wednesday, November 10, 2021 8:05 AM<br><b>To:</b> =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> RE: [Healeys] Water Temperature =
gauge Bezel<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-CA>Bob, I assume the later gauges are the same as&nbsp; the =
earlier ones.&nbsp; If you look carefully at the body of the gauge where =
the bezel fits over the rim, you will see three notches. &nbsp;&nbsp;It =
is not easy, but the bezel can be rotated so the tabs line up with the =
notches and the bezel can be carefully pried off.&nbsp; Often the bezels =
are stuck as they have been there so long.&nbsp; You can try <u>very</u> =
gently prying the tabs open a bit, but they are fragile and break =
easily, then the bezel is useless. &nbsp;Below, John recommends against =
bending the tabs, but I have done so successfully a few times, but I did =
break one once too!<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-CA><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-CA>I asked John Marks of Vintage Restorations (retired =
instrument restorer) and here is his reply:<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-CA><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><ol =
style=3D'margin-top:0in' start=3D3 type=3D1><li class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'color:#1F497D;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo3'><span =
lang=3DEN-CA>&#8220;Dont bend bezel lugs up they usually break =
off.&nbsp;&nbsp; We have a steel rod about 5/8&#8221; by =BC&#8221; with =
holes for the fixing studs and a bit cut to clear the cable drive.&nbsp; =
Put this in a vice, mount the instrument on the holes, and try to turn =
the bezel off the case using rubber gloves.&nbsp;&nbsp; Good =
luck!&#8221; &nbsp;</span><span lang=3DEN-CA =
style=3D'color:windowtext'>(I think the &#8220;rod&#8221; John refers to =
is probably a flat bar)</span><span =
lang=3DEN-CA><o:p></o:p></span></li></ol><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-CA><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-CA>The needle can be very gently pried off the spindle.&nbsp; =
I used two small jewelers screwdrivers, one on each side.&nbsp; It can =
be then gently pressed back on in the right position.&nbsp; I did have =
one needle that would slip on the spindle and I used the tiniest blob of =
clear silicone to hold it in place.&nbsp;&nbsp; I would not use glue as =
it will never come apart in the future.&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-CA><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-CA>You have probably thought of it, =
but I would get a container of water, a reliable thermometer and a =
heating element and calibrate the instrument before replacing the =
bezel.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-CA><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-CA>Lastly, when you pull the gauge away from the facia, you =
will likely destroy the rubber ring that goes between the gauge and the =
facia.&nbsp; Try to save it if you can, but the rubber is usually =
perished.&nbsp; If you need to replace it, look at it carefully as on =
some of the instruments the rubber is a normal o-ring, but on some, I =
think the big instruments, the rubber has a square section and is not =
round.&nbsp; Replacement rubbers are available from Nisongers (<a =
href=3D"http://www.nisonger.com">www.nisonger.com</a>), and probably =
other sources.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-CA><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-CA>Good luck, Mirek<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-CA><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-CA><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> Healeys &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
.net</a>&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Bob Begani via Healeys<br><b>Sent:</b> =
November 10, 2021 6:20 AM<br><b>To:</b> <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br><b>S=
ubject:</b> [Healeys] Water Temperature gauge =
Bezel<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-CA><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Listeners:<o:p>=
</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>As the Davis =
Craig Electric Water Pump with the Electric Fan pushing are working to =
reduce the overheating and boil over on my BJ8, it now comes time to =
move the needle back 90 degrees because that is the amount the gauge is =
off.&nbsp; Someone mentioned that I do not need to send the gauge out =
for repair, I could simply remove the bezel. Please explain how to get =
it of and back on without breaking it.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Regards,<o:p></=
o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:=
p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Bob =
Begani<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>67 =
BJ8<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_091C_01D7D60F.C92CD110--

--===============1879245215773547250==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1879245215773547250==--