Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN4 steering box bearings

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 09:07:09 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============3866944694916029139==
 boundary="------------hT4mgIxGeHYBo10DW0xziSi0"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------hT4mgIxGeHYBo10DW0xziSi0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I was going to write 'Why bother?' Then I saw that new bearings are 
$80/ea at Moss. Still, I don't think I'd trust a race that has had ball 
bearings forcibly removed and replaced, but--theoretically--I don't 
think the balls would escape if you could get them back in properly. 
But, given the hassle of replacing these bearings I think I'd spring for 
new.

On 2/11/2023 8:34 AM, S and T Miller via Healeys wrote:
> Has anyone replaced the individual ball bearings by removing each ball 
> from the cage and replacing with new balls in a good cage? My 
> measurements are 1/4" balls? Sound correct? Can't see why it wouldn't 
> be possible. I realize the entire bearing cages are available, and I 
> also need to replace one race.
> TIA, Shawn
>
> The Millers
>
> "Always drive them, but remember each drive in an antique car is a 
> test drive."
>

--------------hT4mgIxGeHYBo10DW0xziSi0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    I was going to write 'Why bother?' Then I saw that new bearings are
    $80/ea at Moss. Still, I don't think I'd trust a race that has had
    ball bearings forcibly removed and replaced, but--theoretically--I
    don't think the balls would escape if you could get them back in
    properly. But, given the hassle of replacing these bearings I think
    I'd spring for new.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 2/11/2023 8:34 AM, S and T Miller
      via Healeys wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div style="font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color:
        inherit; background-color: transparent;">
        Has anyone replaced the individual ball bearings by removing
        each ball from the cage and replacing with new balls in a good
        cage? My measurements are 1/4" balls? Sound correct? Can't see
        why it wouldn't be possible. I realize the entire bearing cages
        are available, and I also need to replace one race. </div>
      <div style="font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color:
        inherit; background-color: transparent;">
        TIA, Shawn </div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div>The Millers<br>
         <br>
        "Always drive them, but remember each drive in an antique car is
        a test drive."<br>
      </div>
      <br>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------hT4mgIxGeHYBo10DW0xziSi0--

--===============3866944694916029139==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============3866944694916029139==--

---

From: Ricchardd Mayor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 10:44:33 -0800

--===============1218004867154484656==

--Apple-Mail=_3D8F449F-B50B-4D6D-9C92-9FC2EEB6132E
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

I think it=E2=80=99s smart thing to do.  New ball bearings are very =
inexpensive and if the old cage is not damaged then it=E2=80=99s a no =
brainer.

Richard Mayor
[email-masked]

> On Feb 11, 2023, at 9:07 AM, Bob Spidell <[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> I was going to write 'Why bother?' Then I saw that new bearings are =
$80/ea at Moss. Still, I don't think I'd trust a race that has had ball =
bearings forcibly removed and replaced, but--theoretically--I don't =
think the balls would escape if you could get them back in properly. =
But, given the hassle of replacing these bearings I think I'd spring for =
new.
>=20
>=20
>> Has anyone replaced the individual ball bearings by removing each =
ball from the cage and replacing with new balls in a good cage? My =
measurements are 1/4" balls? Sound correct? Can't see why it wouldn't be =
possible. I realize the entire bearing cages are available, and I also =
need to replace one race.=20
>> TIA, Shawn=20
>>=20
>> The Millers
>> =20
>> "Always drive them, but remember each drive in an antique car is a =
test drive."
>>=20
>=20
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys =
http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys
>=20
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_3D8F449F-B50B-4D6D-9C92-9FC2EEB6132E
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" =
class=3D"">I think it=E2=80=99s smart thing to do. &nbsp;New ball =
bearings are very inexpensive and if the old cage is not damaged then =
it=E2=80=99s a no brainer.<div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D""><br class=3D""><div apple-content-edited=3D"true" class=3D"">
Richard&nbsp;Mayor<br class=3D""><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br class=3D""><br class=3D"">

</div>
<br class=3D""><div><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div =
class=3D"">On Feb 11, 2023, at 9:07 AM, Bob Spidell &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D"">
 =20
    <meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3DUTF-8" class=3D"">
 =20
  <div class=3D"">
    I was going to write 'Why bother?' Then I saw that new bearings are
    $80/ea at Moss. Still, I don't think I'd trust a race that has had
    ball bearings forcibly removed and replaced, but--theoretically--I
    don't think the balls would escape if you could get them back in
    properly. But, given the hassle of replacing these bearings I think
    I'd spring for new.<br class=3D"">
    <br class=3D"">
    <br class=3D"">
    <div class=3D"moz-cite-prefix">On 2/11/2023 8:34 AM, S and T Miller
      via Healeys wrote:<br class=3D"">
    </div>
    <blockquote type=3D"cite" =
cite=3D"mid:[email-masked]=
ROD.OUTLOOK.COM" class=3D"">
      <meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3DUTF-8" class=3D"">
      <div style=3D"font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color:
        inherit; background-color: transparent;" class=3D"">
        Has anyone replaced the individual ball bearings by removing
        each ball from the cage and replacing with new balls in a good
        cage? My measurements are 1/4" balls? Sound correct? Can't see
        why it wouldn't be possible. I realize the entire bearing cages
        are available, and I also need to replace one race.&nbsp;</div>
      <div style=3D"font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color:
        inherit; background-color: transparent;" class=3D"">
        TIA, Shawn&nbsp;</div>
      <div class=3D""><br class=3D"">
      </div>
      <div class=3D"">The Millers<br class=3D"">
        &nbsp;<br class=3D"">
        "Always drive them, but remember each drive in an antique car is
        a test drive."<br class=3D"">
      </div>
      <br class=3D"">
      <pre class=3D"moz-quote-pre" wrap=3D""></pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br class=3D"">
  </div>

_______________________________________________<br class=3D"">Support <a =
href=3D"http://Team.Net" class=3D"">Team.Net</a> <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br class=3D"">Suggested =
annual donation &nbsp;$12.75<br class=3D""><br class=3D"">Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br class=3D""><br =
class=3D""><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div></blockquote></div><br =
class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_3D8F449F-B50B-4D6D-9C92-9FC2EEB6132E--

--===============1218004867154484656==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1218004867154484656==--

---

From: Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 20:12:23 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4229197282078087864==
 boundary="------------Sx8Lngqp24T7050M7qVbOhwD"
Content-Language: en-GB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------Sx8Lngqp24T7050M7qVbOhwD
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I cannot imagine that if the balls are worn the cages have no wear at all.
Kees Oudesluijs

Op 11-2-2023 om 18:07 schreef Bob Spidell:
> I'd spring for new.
>> Has anyone replaced the individual ball bearings by removing each 
>> ball from the cage and replacing with new balls in a good cage? My 
> Support Team.Nethttp://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys  http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

-- 
Dit e-mailbericht is met AVG-antivirussoftware gecontroleerd op virussen.
www.avg.com
--------------Sx8Lngqp24T7050M7qVbOhwD
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>I cannot imagine that if the balls are worn the cages have no
      wear at all.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Op 11-2-2023 om 18:07 schreef Bob
      Spidell:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      I was going to write 'Why bother?' Then I saw that new bearings
      are $80/ea at Moss. Still, I don't think I'd trust a race that has
      had ball bearings forcibly removed and replaced,
      but--theoretically--I don't think the balls would escape if you
      could get them back in properly. But, given the hassle of
      replacing these bearings I think I'd spring for new.<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 2/11/2023 8:34 AM, S and T Miller
        via Healeys wrote:<br>
      </div>
      <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
          charset=UTF-8">
        <div style="font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color:
          inherit; background-color: transparent;"> Has anyone replaced
          the individual ball bearings by removing each ball from the
          cage and replacing with new balls in a good cage? My
          measurements are 1/4" balls? Sound correct? Can't see why it
          wouldn't be possible. I realize the entire bearing cages are
          available, and I also need to replace one race. </div>
        <div style="font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color:
          inherit; background-color: transparent;"> TIA, Shawn </div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>The Millers<br>
           <br>
          "Always drive them, but remember each drive in an antique car
          is a test drive."<br>
        </div>
        <br>
      </blockquote>
      <br>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  <div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br /><table style="border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;"><tr><td style="width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a href="http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient" target="_blank"><img src="https://s-install.avcdn.net/ipm/preview/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png" alt="" width="46" height="29" style="width: 46px; height: 29px;"/></a></td><td style="width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color: #41424e; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virusvrij.<a href="http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient" target="_blank" style="color: #4453ea;">www.avg.com</a></td></tr></table><a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1" height="1"> </a></div></body>
</html>

--------------Sx8Lngqp24T7050M7qVbOhwD--

--===============4229197282078087864==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4229197282078087864==--

---

From: Michael Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 10:11:04 +1300

--===============0176612012374969438==

--000000000000d8009505f4730d72

Perhaps you have checked, but in my experience, if the balls need to be
replaced the races will be in bad condition.
If those on the worm are pitted you have a much more serious problem to
deal with.

M

On Sun., Feb. 12, 2023, 5:39 a.m. S and T Miller via Healeys, <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> from the cage and replacing with new balls in a good cage? My measurements
> are 1/4" balls? Sound correct? Can't see why it wouldn't be possible. I
> realize the entire bearing cages are available, and I also need to replace
> one race.
> TIA, Shawn
>
> The Millers
>
> "Always drive them, but remember each drive in an antique car is a test
> drive."
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

--000000000000d8009505f4730d72
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">Perhaps you have checked, but in my experience, if the ba=
lls need to be replaced the races will be in bad condition.<div dir=3D"auto=
">If those on the worm are pitted you have a much more serious problem to d=
eal with.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">M</div><=
/div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">O=
n Sun., Feb. 12, 2023, 5:39 a.m. S and T Miller via Healeys, &lt;<a href=3D=
"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></=
div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-lef=
t:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

<div>
<div style=3D"font-family:inherit;font-size:inherit;color:inherit;backgroun=
d-color:transparent">
Has anyone replaced the individual ball bearings by removing each ball from=
 the cage and replacing with new balls in a good cage? My measurements are =
1/4&quot; balls? Sound correct? Can&#39;t see why it wouldn&#39;t be possib=
le. I realize the entire bearing cages are available,
 and I also need to replace one race.=C2=A0</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:inherit;font-size:inherit;color:inherit;backgroun=
d-color:transparent">
TIA, Shawn=C2=A0</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>The Millers<br>
=C2=A0<br>
&quot;Always drive them, but remember each drive in an antique car is a tes=
t drive.&quot;<br>
</div>
</div>

_______________________________________________<br>
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferr=
er" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferr=
er">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/heal=
eys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><b=
r>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000d8009505f4730d72--

--===============0176612012374969438==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0176612012374969438==--