Subject: Re: [Healeys] Am I on track, or crazy:) part 2

From: Tom Felts via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 09:41:29 -0400 (EDT)

--===============3935738524050576744==
	boundary="=_b5ff4e15-ae82-4f19-85b1-b49dbad3942b"

--=_b5ff4e15-ae82-4f19-85b1-b49dbad3942b
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

After sending the first message---I thought of a way to check--all I had to do was see if there was spark at the plugs to see if the coil was working after she shut down-------too late now. so back to my first question. 

From: "Tom Felts" <[email-masked]> 
To: "healeys" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2023 9:37:33 AM 
Subject: Am I on track, or crazy:) 

OK---2 months ago, my BJ8 decided to shut off while I was driving----couldn't figure out why while sitting beside the road so had her towed home. Long story short--in the process of troubleshooting I have replaced may things--the coil, VR, fuel pump, ignition switch. cleaned the carbs--blew out the fuel lines, changed fuel filter (i have removed the internal filter and added an external one) . I THOUGHT that after the ignition switch was changed that I had found the problem--she ran beautifully for over a month. 

BUT----------2 days ago while driving------she shut down----sputtered for a short time them off----wouldn't start. AAA Tow home again. 

So I had another thought-------and this focuses on the theory that it is electrical. My thought was that maybe the cut-off switch had an internal problem such that it would open the wire leading from it to the coil. If it did, it would shut it down. The system would still be grounded through the many cut off switch. So, I disconnected the wire leading to the coil ( it doesn't need that anyway)-----and she has been purring ever since. Am I dreaming---or is this a possible cause? Is my thinking correct? I'm running low on AAA towing passes so don't want to go out on the road to test it yet. 

--=_b5ff4e15-ae82-4f19-85b1-b49dbad3942b
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-s=
ize: 12pt; color: #000000"><div>After sending the first message---I thought=
 of a way to check--all I had to do was see if there was spark at the plugs=
 to see if the coil was working after she shut down-------too late now.&nbs=
p; so back to my first question.</div><div><br></div><hr id=3D"zwchr" data-=
marker=3D"__DIVIDER__"><div data-marker=3D"__HEADERS__"><b>From: </b>"Tom F=
elts" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>To: </b>"healeys" &lt;healeys@a=
utox.team.net&gt;<br><b>Sent: </b>Thursday, August 31, 2023 9:37:33 AM<br><=
b>Subject: </b>Am I on track, or crazy:)<br></div><div><br></div><div data-=
marker=3D"__QUOTED_TEXT__"><div style=3D"font-family:'arial' , 'helvetica' =
, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:#000000"><div>OK---2 months ago, my BJ8 d=
ecided to shut off while I was driving----couldn't figure out why while sit=
ting beside the road so had her towed home.&nbsp; Long story short--in the =
process of troubleshooting I have replaced may things--the coil, VR, fuel p=
ump, ignition switch. cleaned the carbs--blew out the fuel lines, changed f=
uel filter (i have removed the internal filter and added an external one) .=
&nbsp; I THOUGHT that after the ignition switch was changed that I had foun=
d the problem--she ran beautifully for over a month.</div><br><div>BUT-----=
-----2 days ago while driving------she shut down----sputtered for a short t=
ime them off----wouldn't start.&nbsp; AAA Tow home again.</div><br><div>So =
I had another thought-------and this focuses on the theory that it is elect=
rical.&nbsp; My thought was that maybe the cut-off switch had an internal p=
roblem such that it would open the wire leading from it to the coil.&nbsp; =
If it did, it would shut it down.&nbsp; The system would still be grounded =
through the many cut off switch.&nbsp; So, I disconnected the wire leading =
to the coil ( it doesn't need that anyway)-----and&nbsp; &nbsp;she has been=
 purring ever since.&nbsp; &nbsp; Am I dreaming---or is this a possible cau=
se?&nbsp; Is my thinking correct?&nbsp; I'm running low on AAA towing passe=
s so don't want to go out on the road to test it yet.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div></di=
v><br></div></div></body></html>
--=_b5ff4e15-ae82-4f19-85b1-b49dbad3942b--

--===============3935738524050576744==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============3935738524050576744==--

---

From: Michael Salter via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:06:45 -0400

--===============8951060885455495335==

--0000000000008b14ea0604388e65

Yes Tom, I  had a similar experience with a BJ8 on a delivery journey to
its new owner.
We had stuffed the boot full of my tool kit, our bags and all the spares
and paraphernalia that came with the car.
On the second day of the the journey the car died after going over a small
bump on the highway.
After extracting my tool kit from the boot, in order to diagnose the
problem, the car immediately restarted.
We repeated this exercise a couple of times over many miles before I
figured out the process of taking the tool kit out of where it was stored
in the right side of the boot was preventing the small white with black
wire, that had become disconnected from the master switch, from grounding
out on the inside of  rear shroud.
A real head scratcher for a while!!

M

On Thu., Aug. 31, 2023, 9:52 a.m. Tom Felts via Healeys, <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> OK---2 months ago, my BJ8 decided to shut off while I was
> driving----couldn't figure out why while sitting beside the road so had her
> towed home.  Long story short--in the process of troubleshooting I have
> replaced may things--the coil, VR, fuel pump, ignition switch. cleaned the
> carbs--blew out the fuel lines, changed fuel filter (i have removed the
> internal filter and added an external one) .  I THOUGHT that after the
> ignition switch was changed that I had found the problem--she ran
> beautifully for over a month.
>
> BUT----------2 days ago while driving------she shut down----sputtered for
> a short time them off----wouldn't start.  AAA Tow home again.
>
> So I had another thought-------and this focuses on the theory that it is
> electrical.  My thought was that maybe the cut-off switch had an internal
> problem such that it would open the wire leading from it to the coil.  If
> it did, it would shut it down.  The system would still be grounded through
> the many cut off switch.  So, I disconnected the wire leading to the coil (
> it doesn't need that anyway)-----and   she has been purring ever since.
> Am I dreaming---or is this a possible cause?  Is my thinking correct?  I'm
> running low on AAA towing passes so don't want to go out on the road to
> test it yet.
>
>
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

--0000000000008b14ea0604388e65
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">Yes Tom, I=C2=A0 had a similar experience with a BJ8 on a=
 delivery journey to its new owner.=C2=A0<div dir=3D"auto">We had stuffed t=
he boot full of my tool kit, our bags and all the spares and paraphernalia =
that came with the car.</div><div dir=3D"auto">On the second day of the the=
 journey the car died after going over a small bump on the highway.=C2=A0</=
div><div dir=3D"auto">After extracting my tool kit from the boot, in order =
to diagnose the problem, the car immediately restarted.=C2=A0</div><div dir=
=3D"auto">We repeated this exercise a couple of times over many miles befor=
e I figured out the process of taking the tool kit out of where it was stor=
ed in the right side of the boot was preventing the small white with black =
wire, that had become disconnected from the master switch, from grounding o=
ut on the inside of=C2=A0 rear shroud.</div><div dir=3D"auto">A real head s=
cratcher for a while!!</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">M=
</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_=
attr">On Thu., Aug. 31, 2023, 9:52 a.m. Tom Felts via Healeys, &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br=
></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-=
left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div style=3D"font-family:arial,=
helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:#000000"><div>OK---2 months ago, =
my BJ8 decided to shut off while I was driving----couldn&#39;t figure out w=
hy while sitting beside the road so had her towed home.=C2=A0 Long story sh=
ort--in the process of troubleshooting I have replaced may things--the coil=
, VR, fuel pump, ignition switch. cleaned the carbs--blew out the fuel line=
s, changed fuel filter (i have removed the internal filter and added an ext=
ernal one) .=C2=A0 I THOUGHT that after the ignition switch was changed tha=
t I had found the problem--she ran beautifully for over a month.</div><div>=
<br></div><div>BUT----------2 days ago while driving------she shut down----=
sputtered for a short time them off----wouldn&#39;t start.=C2=A0 AAA Tow ho=
me again.</div><div><br></div><div>So I had another thought-------and this =
focuses on the theory that it is electrical.=C2=A0 My thought was that mayb=
e the cut-off switch had an internal problem such that it would open the wi=
re leading from it to the coil.=C2=A0 If it did, it would shut it down.=C2=
=A0 The system would still be grounded through the many cut off switch.=C2=
=A0 So, I disconnected the wire leading to the coil ( it doesn&#39;t need t=
hat anyway)-----and=C2=A0 =C2=A0she has been purring ever since.=C2=A0 =C2=
=A0 Am I dreaming---or is this a possible cause?=C2=A0 Is my thinking corre=
ct?=C2=A0 I&#39;m running low on AAA towing passes so don&#39;t want to go =
out on the road to test it yet.=C2=A0=C2=A0</div><div><br></div><div><br></=
div></div></div>_______________________________________________<br>
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferr=
er" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferr=
er">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/heal=
eys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><b=
r>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--0000000000008b14ea0604388e65--

--===============8951060885455495335==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8951060885455495335==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 08:39:03 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2684518141701285442==
 boundary="------------b24mTCypbaorbR0ylnlPK4SM"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------b24mTCypbaorbR0ylnlPK4SM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

It's been years since I've had a cut-off switch apart, but I recall the 
internals being pretty robust (a couple large contactor plates). The way 
they could fail would be a build-up of corrosion, but that would likely 
occur over time and would probably affect starter cranking as well.

I'd suspect the condenser--if you have a points ignition system--or fuel 
delivery, new pump notwithstanding.

bs

On 8/31/2023 7:06 AM, Michael Salter via Healeys wrote:
> Yes Tom, I  had a similar experience with a BJ8 on a delivery journey 
> to its new owner.
> We had stuffed the boot full of my tool kit, our bags and all the 
> spares and paraphernalia that came with the car.
> On the second day of the the journey the car died after going over a 
> small bump on the highway.
> figured out the process of taking the tool kit out of where it was 
> stored in the right side of the boot was preventing the small white 
> with black wire, that had become disconnected from the master switch, 
> from grounding out on the inside of  rear shroud.
> On Thu., Aug. 31, 2023, 9:52 a.m. Tom Felts via Healeys, 
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>     driving----couldn't figure out why while sitting beside the road
>     so had her towed home.  Long story short--in the process of
>     troubleshooting I have replaced may things--the coil, VR, fuel
>     pump, ignition switch. cleaned the carbs--blew out the fuel lines,
>     changed fuel filter (i have removed the internal filter and added
>     an external one) .  I THOUGHT that after the ignition switch was
>     changed that I had found the problem--she ran beautifully for over
>     a month.
>
>     BUT----------2 days ago while driving------she shut
>     down----sputtered for a short time them off----wouldn't start. 
>     AAA Tow home again.
>
>     So I had another thought-------and this focuses on the theory that
>     it is electrical.  My thought was that maybe the cut-off switch
>     had an internal problem such that it would open the wire leading
>     from it to the coil.  If it did, it would shut it down.  The
>     system would still be grounded through the many cut off switch. 
>     So, I disconnected the wire leading to the coil ( it doesn't need
>     that anyway)-----and   she has been purring ever since.    Am I
>     dreaming---or is this a possible cause?  Is my thinking correct? 
>     I'm running low on AAA towing passes so don't want to go out on
>     the road to test it yet.
>
>
> Support Team.Nethttp://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys  http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

--------------b24mTCypbaorbR0ylnlPK4SM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    It's been years since I've had a cut-off switch apart, but I recall
    the internals being pretty robust (a couple large contactor plates).
    The way they could fail would be a build-up of corrosion, but that
    would likely occur over time and would probably affect starter
    cranking as well. <br>
    <br>
    I'd suspect the condenser--if you have a points ignition system--or
    fuel delivery, new pump notwithstanding.<br>
    <br>
    bs<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 8/31/2023 7:06 AM, Michael Salter
      via Healeys wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="auto">Yes Tom, I  had a similar experience with a BJ8 on
        a delivery journey to its new owner. 
        <div dir="auto">We had stuffed the boot full of my tool kit, our
          bags and all the spares and paraphernalia that came with the
          car.</div>
        <div dir="auto">On the second day of the the journey the car
          died after going over a small bump on the highway. </div>
        <div dir="auto">After extracting my tool kit from the boot, in
          order to diagnose the problem, the car immediately restarted. </div>
        <div dir="auto">We repeated this exercise a couple of times over
          many miles before I figured out the process of taking the tool
          kit out of where it was stored in the right side of the boot
          was preventing the small white with black wire, that had
          become disconnected from the master switch, from grounding out
          on the inside of  rear shroud.</div>
        <div dir="auto">A real head scratcher for a while!!</div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">M</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <div class="gmail_quote">
        <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Thu., Aug. 31, 2023, 9:52
          a.m. Tom Felts via Healeys, &lt;<a
            href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
        </div>
        <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
          <div>
            <div
style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:#000000">
              <div>OK---2 months ago, my BJ8 decided to shut off while I
                was driving----couldn't figure out why while sitting
                beside the road so had her towed home.  Long story
                short--in the process of troubleshooting I have replaced
                may things--the coil, VR, fuel pump, ignition switch.
                cleaned the carbs--blew out the fuel lines, changed fuel
                filter (i have removed the internal filter and added an
                external one) .  I THOUGHT that after the ignition
                switch was changed that I had found the problem--she ran
                beautifully for over a month.</div>
              <div><br>
              </div>
              <div>BUT----------2 days ago while driving------she shut
                down----sputtered for a short time them off----wouldn't
                start.  AAA Tow home again.</div>
              <div><br>
              </div>
              <div>So I had another thought-------and this focuses on
                the theory that it is electrical.  My thought was that
                maybe the cut-off switch had an internal problem such
                that it would open the wire leading from it to the
                coil.  If it did, it would shut it down.  The system
                would still be grounded through the many cut off
                switch.  So, I disconnected the wire leading to the coil
                ( it doesn't need that anyway)-----and   she has been
                purring ever since.    Am I dreaming---or is this a
                possible cause?  Is my thinking correct?  I'm running
                low on AAA towing passes so don't want to go out on the
                road to test it yet.  </div>
              <div><br>
              </div>
              <div><br>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>
          _______________________________________________<br>
          Support Team.Net <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
          <br>
          Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
          <a href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys"
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
          <br>
          <a href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank"
            rel="noreferrer" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">[email-masked]</a><br>
          <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys"
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
          <br>
          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]"
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
          <br>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------b24mTCypbaorbR0ylnlPK4SM--

--===============2684518141701285442==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2684518141701285442==--

---

From: Mike Sinclair <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:46:04 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============9211953439701974290==
 boundary="------------0kgwZesEhVLJhpkRz900z01n"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------0kgwZesEhVLJhpkRz900z01n
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

My anti-theft wire is disconnected at both ends, and using an ohmmeter, 
both ends go to ground.  A good To-Do item!  Probably easiest to just 
run a new wire.

Mike

On 8/31/23 7:06 AM, Michael Salter via Healeys wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
--------------0kgwZesEhVLJhpkRz900z01n
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="2"><font face="Tahoma">My anti-theft wire is
          disconnected at both ends, and using an ohmmeter, both ends go
          to ground.  A good To-Do item!  Probably easiest to just run a
          new wire.</font></font></p>
    <p><font size="2"><font face="Tahoma">Mike</font></font><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 8/31/23 7:06 AM, Michael Salter via
      Healeys wrote:<br>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------0kgwZesEhVLJhpkRz900z01n--

--===============9211953439701974290==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============9211953439701974290==--