Subject: Re: [Healeys] Shock mount--BJ8

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 07:39:00 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7864764163763068436==
 boundary="------------12jt4CIkXmg0yvP5F0gLSOqh"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------12jt4CIkXmg0yvP5F0gLSOqh
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Great question, right up there with 'What is the meaning of life?' and 
one I've pondered myself.

I know the shop manual has a frame dimensional diagram, but I don't know 
if it precisely locates the shock mounts (I'm to lazy to dig the book 
out right now, and your frame is probably tweaked a bit anyway). All 
I've come up with is make your best guess by, as you suggested, 
measuring the 'good' side best you can then tack weld the mount (you 
should get close and, who knows, you might get lucky). Then, install 
shock and A-arm and GENTLY lower the frame to the ground and check 
alignment. Repeat as necessary then weld it in. I bought the full rig 
from these guys, since I have 5 cars and 2 tractors so it's 'justified' 
(NFI):

https://wheelalignmenttools.com/store/

... and have been happy with it (support is good, and they're based, 
IIRC, in Fremont, CA). I got a 'pro' alignment--with the fancy laser 
rig--for my Mustang and their rig pretty much agrees with it. Camber is 
the easy part, a direct measurement, but caster is a bit trickier. Make 
sure to account for the slope of the floor when taking readings.

I used offset trunnion bushings on my BJ8 and adjustable camber plates 
on the BN2 to set camber at zero, and feel handling is better than 
'book' setting (1deg pos). Caster is less than 'book' on both, which is 
less than used on most other cars, but both track just fine. I set toe 
at just a hair in; but haven't put enough miles on either to see if tire 
wear is improved (you'd need to start with new tires).

Bob

On 9/5/2023 12:09 PM, Tom Felts via Healeys wrote:
> Years ago I had the right shock mount replaced because of a bad metal 
> tear in it.  I'm not even sure who did the job for me.  Over the years 
> since I have had bad outside tire wa=ear on that side.  I'm thinking 
> that when it was welded on, it was not placed properly.
>
> So----If I remove it and have it replaced with a new one, how do I do 
> about lining it up properly?
>
> I've thought about having the alignment equipment hooked up with the 
> unattached shock attached and moving the tire in or out until I get 
> the proper camber then clamping it to the tower and welding.  That 
> might be an impossible thing to do with the heavy shock hanging on.  
> Is it possible to measure the good (original) side and place it 
> according to that side?
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks--Tom
>
> Other than than that, how to I alignment it properly?
>

--------------12jt4CIkXmg0yvP5F0gLSOqh
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Great question, right up there with 'What is the meaning of life?'
    and one I've pondered myself. <br>
    <br>
    I know the shop manual has a frame dimensional diagram, but I don't
    know if it precisely locates the shock mounts (I'm to lazy to dig
    the book out right now, and your frame is probably tweaked a bit
    anyway). All I've come up with is make your best guess by, as you
    suggested, measuring the 'good' side best you can then tack weld the
    mount (you should get close and, who knows, you might get lucky).
    Then, install shock and A-arm and GENTLY lower the frame to the
    ground and check alignment. Repeat as necessary then weld it in. I
    bought the full rig from these guys, since I have 5 cars and 2
    tractors so it's 'justified' (NFI):<br>
    <br>
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://wheelalignmenttools.com/store/">https://wheelalignmenttools.com/store/</a><br>
    <br>
    ... and have been happy with it (support is good, and they're based,
    IIRC, in Fremont, CA). I got a 'pro' alignment--with the fancy laser
    rig--for my Mustang and their rig pretty much agrees with it. Camber
    is the easy part, a direct measurement, but caster is a bit
    trickier. Make sure to account for the slope of the floor when
    taking readings.<br>
    <br>
    I used offset trunnion bushings on my BJ8 and adjustable camber
    plates on the BN2 to set camber at zero, and feel handling is better
    than 'book' setting (1deg pos). Caster is less than 'book' on both,
    which is less than used on most other cars, but both track just
    fine. I set toe at just a hair in; but haven't put enough miles on
    either to see if tire wear is improved (you'd need to start with new
    tires).<br>
    <br>
    Bob<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/5/2023 12:09 PM, Tom Felts via
      Healeys wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:
        12pt; color: #000000">
        <div>Years ago I had the right shock mount replaced because of a
          bad metal tear in it.  I'm not even sure who did the job for
          me.  Over the years since I have had bad outside tire wa=ear
          on that side.  I'm thinking that when it was welded on, it was
          not placed properly.</div>
        <div><br data-mce-bogus="1">
        </div>
        <div>So----If I remove it and have it replaced with a new one,
          how do I do about lining it up properly?</div>
        <div><br data-mce-bogus="1">
        </div>
        <div>I've thought about having the alignment equipment hooked up
          with the unattached shock attached and moving the tire in or
          out until I get the proper camber then clamping it to the
          tower and welding.  That might be an impossible thing to do
          with the heavy shock hanging on.  Is it possible to measure
          the good (original) side and place it according to that side?</div>
        <div><br data-mce-bogus="1">
        </div>
        <div>Ideas?</div>
        <div><br data-mce-bogus="1">
        </div>
        <div>Thanks--Tom</div>
        <div><br data-mce-bogus="1">
        </div>
        <div>Other than than that, how to I alignment it properly?  </div>
      </div>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------12jt4CIkXmg0yvP5F0gLSOqh--

--===============7864764163763068436==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============7864764163763068436==--

---

From: Harold Manifold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 08:29:34 -0700

--000000000000c9dfd30604b26955

--000000000000c9dfd00604b26953
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Tom,

If you will be going to the trouble of replacing the shock mounting plates
may I suggest installing Adjustable Front Shock Mounting Plates. They are
available from AH Spares and will solve your camber problem.

https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/big-healey/inner-body-panels-ibp10=
1-to-ibp286a/mounting-plates-adjustable-pr.aspx

Attached are the Chassis Alignment drawings that should help to locate the
shock mounts. It would be best to have the work done by a knowledgeable
Healey shop.

Good luck... Harold

On Wed, Sep 6, 2023 at 3:22=E2=80=AFAM Tom Felts via Healeys <healeys@autox=
.team.net>
wrote:

> Years ago I had the right shock mount replaced because of a bad metal tea=
r
> in it.  I'm not even sure who did the job for me.  Over the years since I
> have had bad outside tire wa=3Dear on that side.  I'm thinking that when =
it
> was welded on, it was not placed properly.
>
> unattached shock attached and moving the tire in or out until I get the
> proper camber then clamping it to the tower and welding.  That might be a=
n
> impossible thing to do with the heavy shock hanging on.  Is it possible t=
o
> measure the good (original) side and place it according to that side?
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks--Tom
>
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

--000000000000c9dfd00604b26953
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Tom,<div><br></div><div>If you=C2=A0will be going to the t=
rouble=C2=A0of replacing the shock mounting plates may I suggest installing=
=C2=A0Adjustable Front Shock Mounting Plates. They are available from AH Sp=
ares and will solve your camber problem.</div><div><br></div><div><a href=
=3D"https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/big-healey/inner-body-panels-i=
bp101-to-ibp286a/mounting-plates-adjustable-pr.aspx">https://www.ahspares.c=
o.uk/austin-healey/big-healey/inner-body-panels-ibp101-to-ibp286a/mounting-=
plates-adjustable-pr.aspx</a><br></div><div><br></div><div>Attached are the=
 Chassis Alignment drawings that should help to locate the shock mounts. It=
 would be best to have the work done by a knowledgeable Healey shop.</div><=
div><br></div><div>Good luck... Harold</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_q=
uote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Sep 6, 2023 at 3:22=E2=
=80=AFAM Tom Felts via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]=
">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail=
_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204=
,204);padding-left:1ex"><div><div style=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica,sans=
-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0)"><div>Years ago I had the right shoc=
k mount replaced because of a bad metal tear in it.=C2=A0 I&#39;m not even =
sure who did the job for me.=C2=A0 Over the years since I have had bad outs=
ide tire wa=3Dear on that side.=C2=A0 I&#39;m thinking that when it was wel=
ded on, it was not placed properly.</div><div><br></div><div>So----If I rem=
ove it and have it replaced with a new one, how do I do about lining it up =
properly?</div><div><br></div><div>I&#39;ve thought about having the alignm=
ent equipment hooked up with the unattached shock attached and moving the t=
ire in or out until I get the proper camber then clamping it to the tower a=
nd welding.=C2=A0 That might be an impossible thing to do with the heavy sh=
ock hanging on.=C2=A0 Is it possible to measure the good (original) side an=
d place it according to that side?</div><div><br></div><div>Ideas?</div><di=
v><br></div><div>Thanks--Tom</div><div><br></div><div>Other than than that,=
 how to I alignment it properly?=C2=A0=C2=A0</div></div></div>_____________=
__________________________________<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
eam.net</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.tea=
m.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000c9dfd00604b26953--

--000000000000c9dfd30604b26955
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Chassis Alignment 3.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <f_lm7w9pyi2>

--000000000000c9dfd30604b26955
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Chassis Alignment 2.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <f_lm7w9pyf1>

--000000000000c9dfd30604b26955
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Chassis Alignment 1.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <f_lm7w9pxk0>

--000000000000c9dfd30604b26955
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--000000000000c9dfd30604b26955--

---

From: Tom Felts via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 19:16:53 -0400 (EDT)

--===============0125145393469826421==
	boundary="=_da2dafdb-8276-4227-967d-56631b087eee"

--=_da2dafdb-8276-4227-967d-56631b087eee
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

So---has anyone here installed an adjustable shock mount? Seems that may be the answer to getting proper camber even if you don't align it quite right. 
Tom 

From: "Bob Spidell" <[email-masked]> 
To: "healeys" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Wednesday, September 6, 2023 10:39:00 AM 
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Shock mount--BJ8 

Great question, right up there with 'What is the meaning of life?' and one I've pondered myself. 

I know the shop manual has a frame dimensional diagram, but I don't know if it precisely locates the shock mounts (I'm to lazy to dig the book out right now, and your frame is probably tweaked a bit anyway). All I've come up with is make your best guess by, as you suggested, measuring the 'good' side best you can then tack weld the mount (you should get close and, who knows, you might get lucky). Then, install shock and A-arm and GENTLY lower the frame to the ground and check alignment. Repeat as necessary then weld it in. I bought the full rig from these guys, since I have 5 cars and 2 tractors so it's 'justified' (NFI): 

[ https://wheelalignmenttools.com/store/ | https://wheelalignmenttools.com/store/ ] 

... and have been happy with it (support is good, and they're based, IIRC, in Fremont, CA). I got a 'pro' alignment--with the fancy laser rig--for my Mustang and their rig pretty much agrees with it. Camber is the easy part, a direct measurement, but caster is a bit trickier. Make sure to account for the slope of the floor when taking readings. 

I used offset trunnion bushings on my BJ8 and adjustable camber plates on the BN2 to set camber at zero, and feel handling is better than 'book' setting (1deg pos). Caster is less than 'book' on both, which is less than used on most other cars, but both track just fine. I set toe at just a hair in; but haven't put enough miles on either to see if tire wear is improved (you'd need to start with new tires). 

Bob 

Years ago I had the right shock mount replaced because of a bad metal tear in it. I'm not even sure who did the job for me. Over the years since I have had bad outside tire wa=ear on that side. I'm thinking that when it was welded on, it was not placed properly. 

So----If I remove it and have it replaced with a new one, how do I do about lining it up properly? 

I've thought about having the alignment equipment hooked up with the unattached shock attached and moving the tire in or out until I get the proper camber then clamping it to the tower and welding. That might be an impossible thing to do with the heavy shock hanging on. Is it possible to measure the good (original) side and place it according to that side? 

Ideas? 

Thanks--Tom 

[email-masked] 

--=_da2dafdb-8276-4227-967d-56631b087eee
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><body><div style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: #000000"><div>So---has anyone here installed an adjustable shock mount?&nbsp; Seems that may be the answer to getting proper camber even if you don't align it quite right.</div><div>Tom</div><div><br></div><hr id="zwchr" data-marker="__DIVIDER__"><div data-marker="__HEADERS__"><b>From: </b>"Bob Spidell" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>To: </b>"healeys" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>Sent: </b>Wednesday, September 6, 2023 10:39:00 AM<br><b>Subject: </b>Re: [Healeys] Shock mount--BJ8<br></div><div><br></div><div data-marker="__QUOTED_TEXT__">Great question, right up there with 'What is the meaning of life?'
    <a href="https://wheelalignmenttools.com/store/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">https://wheelalignmenttools.com/store/</a><br>
    <blockquote>
      
      <div style="font-family:'arial' , 'helvetica' , sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:#000000">
        <div>Years ago I had the right shock mount replaced because of a
          bad metal tear in it.&nbsp; I'm not even sure who did the job for
          me.&nbsp; Over the years since I have had bad outside tire wa=ear
          on that side.&nbsp; I'm thinking that when it was welded on, it was
          not placed properly.</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>So----If I remove it and have it replaced with a new one,
          how do I do about lining it up properly?</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>I've thought about having the alignment equipment hooked up
          with the unattached shock attached and moving the tire in or
          out until I get the proper camber then clamping it to the
          tower and welding.&nbsp; That might be an impossible thing to do
          with the heavy shock hanging on.&nbsp; Is it possible to measure
          the good (original) side and place it according to that side?</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Ideas?</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Thanks--Tom</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Other than than that, how to I alignment it properly?&nbsp;&nbsp;</div>
      </div>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  
<br>_______________________________________________<br>Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.75<br><br>Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys<br><br>[email-masked]<br>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys<br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]<br></div></div></body></html>
--=_da2dafdb-8276-4227-967d-56631b087eee--

--===============0125145393469826421==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0125145393469826421==--

---

From: Jean Caron via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 03:20:22 +0000

--===============1078108689386126972==
Content-Language: en-CA
	boundary="_000_DS7PR11MB60782C87CD8E1231C096A5F7D1EEADS7PR11MB6078namp_"

--_000_DS7PR11MB60782C87CD8E1231C096A5F7D1EEADS7PR11MB6078namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I bought a pair from Kilmartin in Australia and installed them with the ins=
tructions provided  pretty easy to do if the engine is out of the car.

Jean

Sent from my Bell Samsung device over Canada=92s largest network.
________________________________
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> on behalf of Tom Felts via H=
ealeys <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 6, 2023 6:16:53 PM
To: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Cc: healeys <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Shock mount--BJ8

So---has anyone here installed an adjustable shock mount?  Seems that may b=
e the answer to getting proper camber even if you don't align it quite righ=
t.
Tom

________________________________

Great question, right up there with 'What is the meaning of life?' and one =
I've pondered myself.

I know the shop manual has a frame dimensional diagram, but I don't know if=
 it precisely locates the shock mounts (I'm to lazy to dig the book out rig=
ht now, and your frame is probably tweaked a bit anyway). All I've come up =
with is make your best guess by, as you suggested, measuring the 'good' sid=
e best you can then tack weld the mount (you should get close and, who know=
s, you might get lucky). Then, install shock and A-arm and GENTLY lower the=
 frame to the ground and check alignment. Repeat as necessary then weld it =
in. I bought the full rig from these guys, since I have 5 cars and 2 tracto=
rs so it's 'justified' (NFI):

... and have been happy with it (support is good, and they're based, IIRC, =
in Fremont, CA). I got a 'pro' alignment--with the fancy laser rig--for my =
Mustang and their rig pretty much agrees with it. Camber is the easy part, =
a direct measurement, but caster is a bit trickier. Make sure to account fo=
r the slope of the floor when taking readings.

I used offset trunnion bushings on my BJ8 and adjustable camber plates on t=
he BN2 to set camber at zero, and feel handling is better than 'book' setti=
ng (1deg pos). Caster is less than 'book' on both, which is less than used =
on most other cars, but both track just fine. I set toe at just a hair in; =
but haven't put enough miles on either to see if tire wear is improved (you=
'd need to start with new tires).

Bob

On 9/5/2023 12:09 PM, Tom Felts via Healeys wrote:
Years ago I had the right shock mount replaced because of a bad metal tear =
in it.  I'm not even sure who did the job for me.  Over the years since I h=
ave had bad outside tire wa=3Dear on that side.  I'm thinking that when it =
was welded on, it was not placed properly.

So----If I remove it and have it replaced with a new one, how do I do about=
 lining it up properly?

I've thought about having the alignment equipment hooked up with the unatta=
ched shock attached and moving the tire in or out until I get the proper ca=
mber then clamping it to the tower and welding.  That might be an impossibl=
e thing to do with the heavy shock hanging on.  Is it possible to measure t=
he good (original) side and place it according to that side?

Ideas?

Thanks--Tom

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archiv=
e/healeys

[email-masked]

windstream.net

--_000_DS7PR11MB60782C87CD8E1231C096A5F7D1EEADS7PR11MB6078namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DWindows-1=
252">
</head>
<body>
<div dir=3D"auto">I bought a pair from Kilmartin in Australia and installed=
 them with the instructions provided&nbsp; pretty easy to do if the engine =
is out of the car.</div>
<div dir=3D"auto"><br>
</div>
<div dir=3D"auto">Jean</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div id=3D"ms-outlook-mobile-signature" dir=3D"auto">Sent from my Bell Sams=
ung device over Canada=92s largest network.</div>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex=3D"-1">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" st=
yle=3D"font-size:11pt" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Healeys &lt;healeys-b=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of Tom Felts via Healeys &lt;healeys@au=
tox.team.net&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, September 6, 2023 6:16:53 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> Bob Spidell &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Cc:</b> healeys &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] Shock mount--BJ8</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div>
<div style=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:12pt; color=
:#000000">
<div>So---has anyone here installed an adjustable shock mount?&nbsp; Seems =
that may be the answer to getting proper camber even if you don't align it =
quite right.</div>
<div>Tom</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<hr id=3D"x_zwchr" data-marker=3D"__DIVIDER__">
<div data-marker=3D"__HEADERS__"><b>From: </b>&quot;Bob Spidell&quot; &lt;b=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>To: </b>&quot;healeys&quot; &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Sent: </b>Wednesday, September 6, 2023 10:39:00 AM<br>
<b>Subject: </b>Re: [Healeys] Shock mount--BJ8<br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div data-marker=3D"__QUOTED_TEXT__">Great question, right up there with 'W=
hat is the meaning of life?' and one I've pondered myself.
<br>
<br>
I know the shop manual has a frame dimensional diagram, but I don't know if=
 it precisely locates the shock mounts (I'm to lazy to dig the book out rig=
ht now, and your frame is probably tweaked a bit anyway). All I've come up =
with is make your best guess by,
 as you suggested, measuring the 'good' side best you can then tack weld th=
e mount (you should get close and, who knows, you might get lucky). Then, i=
nstall shock and A-arm and GENTLY lower the frame to the ground and check a=
lignment. Repeat as necessary then
 weld it in. I bought the full rig from these guys, since I have 5 cars and=
 2 tractors so it's 'justified' (NFI):<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"https://wheelalignmenttools.com/store/" originalsrc=3D"https://w=
heelalignmenttools.com/store/" shash=3D"vlIfAoC5TzBd6ObkphERibcTqzKQDeGVTrw=
raRQspga/jY1kSgpwKrFGyYFa2M+ahAGaO+3zVUV9PggpMTbB7PBrf0qxk+JSTD+sNtaNBaXXTj=
e5hNdQhewcUN5yL3hjY2FtdEcYrIVtwZ8jxhVZC+6Vmc32GdlF2y98Pbm9nRg=3D" target=3D=
"_blank" rel=3D"nofollow noopener noreferrer">https://wheelalignmenttools.c=
om/store/</a><br>
<br>
... and have been happy with it (support is good, and they're based, IIRC, =
in Fremont, CA). I got a 'pro' alignment--with the fancy laser rig--for my =
Mustang and their rig pretty much agrees with it. Camber is the easy part, =
a direct measurement, but caster
 is a bit trickier. Make sure to account for the slope of the floor when ta=
king readings.<br>
<br>
I used offset trunnion bushings on my BJ8 and adjustable camber plates on t=
he BN2 to set camber at zero, and feel handling is better than 'book' setti=
ng (1deg pos). Caster is less than 'book' on both, which is less than used =
on most other cars, but both track
 just fine. I set toe at just a hair in; but haven't put enough miles on ei=
ther to see if tire wear is improved (you'd need to start with new tires).<=
br>
<br>
Bob<br>
<br>
<br>
<div class=3D"x_moz-cite-prefix">On 9/5/2023 12:09 PM, Tom Felts via Healey=
s wrote:<br>
</div>
<blockquote>
<div style=3D"font-family:'arial' ,'helvetica' ,sans-serif; font-size:12pt;=
 color:#000000">
<div>Years ago I had the right shock mount replaced because of a bad metal =
tear in it.&nbsp; I'm not even sure who did the job for me.&nbsp; Over the =
years since I have had bad outside tire wa=3Dear on that side.&nbsp; I'm th=
inking that when it was welded on, it was not placed
 properly.</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>So----If I remove it and have it replaced with a new one, how do I do =
about lining it up properly?</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>I've thought about having the alignment equipment hooked up with the u=
nattached shock attached and moving the tire in or out until I get the prop=
er camber then clamping it to the tower and welding.&nbsp; That might be an=
 impossible thing to do with the heavy
 shock hanging on.&nbsp; Is it possible to measure the good (original) side=
 and place it according to that side?</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Ideas?</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Thanks--Tom</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Other than than that, how to I alignment it properly?&nbsp;&nbsp;</div=
</div>
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archiv=
e/healeys<br>
<br>
[email-masked]<br>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys<br>
<br>
windstream.net<br>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_DS7PR11MB60782C87CD8E1231C096A5F7D1EEADS7PR11MB6078namp_--

--===============1078108689386126972==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1078108689386126972==--