Subject: Re: [Healeys] The single most confusing engine shutdown problem ever!

From: Ulla_Sven Ordell via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 17:25:36 +0000

--===============8908302247311785364==
Content-Language: sv-SE
	boundary="_000_AS4PR02MB84309635B14B40F143C5CCCFDDF4AAS4PR02MB8430eurp_"

--_000_AS4PR02MB84309635B14B40F143C5CCCFDDF4AAS4PR02MB8430eurp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_AS4PR02MB84309635B14B40F143C5CCCFDDF4AAS4PR02MB8430eurp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_AS4PR02MB84309635B14B40F143C5CCCFDDF4AAS4PR02MB8430eurp_--

--===============8908302247311785364==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============8908302247311785364==--

---

From: Mike Sinclair <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:19:25 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============6899536559104502935==
 boundary="------------dbPkW6BvJzcOnZE4J8ZK5Tyl"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------dbPkW6BvJzcOnZE4J8ZK5Tyl
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I had same problem with low tension lead.  Looked fine, but was loose.  
Took awhile to find.  So many times it's something simple.

Mike

On 9/17/23 10:25 AM, Ulla_Sven Ordell via Healeys wrote:
>
> Blocked air supply to tank would give these symptoms. I Have also had 
> a broken low tension lead to distributor looked fine but was loose at 
> the connector.
>
> Good luck You will find it eventually  and please let us know
>
> RTegards
>
> Sven
>
> Sweden
>
> *Från:* Healeys <[email-masked]> *För *Hank Leach via 
> Healeys
> *Skickat:* den 17 september 2023 18:26
> *Till:* 'Tom Felts' <[email-masked]>
> *Kopia:* 'healeys' <[email-masked]>
> *Ämne:* Re: [Healeys] The single most confusing engine shutdown 
> problem ever!
>
> Spider in fuel cap vent hole blocking free flow of air. Yes, I have 
> seen it bring a Healey to its knees.  Hank
>
> -----------------------------------------
>
> From: "Tom Felts via Healeys"
> To: "healeys"
> Cc:
> Sent: Sunday September 17 2023 8:30:35AM
> Subject: [Healeys] The single most confusing engine shutdown problem ever!
>
> Was our driving a while back, engine purring, and suddenly she shut 
> down.  Let it sit for a while and she would start and run for a 
> while--then shut down again.  I tried many fixes which I will list 
> below.  Several times after the fixes she went for miles and miles and 
> I thought I had "fixed" it.  Nope-----yesterday----it was AAA tow time 
> once again (3 times this year).
>
> The last 2 shutdown times came when she was idling waiting for a light 
> or for a car to pass.
>
> So here is what I have tried:  * new coil  * new voltage regulator  * 
> new fuel pump  * New ignition switch  * Blew out the fuel lines * 
> pulled float bowls and cleaned them (no debris inside)  * Pulled the 
> distributor plate out and cleaned and oiled it  * disconnected the 
> wire leading from the battery cutoff switch to the coil. * bypassed 
> the entire battery cutoff switch * replaced the Pertronix with a new 
> one * checked all the sparkplug wires to make sure they were on 
> properly  *  replaced the distributor rotor *Replaced the distributor 
> cap . * checked the small ground wire inside the distributor to make 
> sure it was attached properly.
>
>  All this----and STILL o joy.  I'm really out of ideas at this point.  
> If anyone has any ideas for me to check please share them.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom
>
>
> Support Team.Nethttp://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys  http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
--------------dbPkW6BvJzcOnZE4J8ZK5Tyl
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="2" face="Tahoma">I had same problem with low tension
        lead.  Looked fine, but was loose.  Took awhile to find.  So
        many times it's something simple.</font></p>
    <p><font size="2" face="Tahoma">Mike<br>
      </font></p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/17/23 10:25 AM, Ulla_Sven Ordell
      via Healeys wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <meta name="Generator"
        content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
      <style>@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}span.E-postmall19
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	mso-ligatures:none;}div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"
            lang="EN-US">Blocked air supply to tank would give these
            symptoms. I Have also had a broken low tension lead to
            distributor looked fine but was loose at the connector.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"
            lang="EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"
            lang="EN-US">Good luck You will find it eventually  and
            please let us know<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"
            lang="EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"
            lang="EN-US">RTegards
            <o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"
            lang="EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"
            lang="EN-US">Sven <o:p>
            </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"
            lang="EN-US">Sweden<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"
            lang="EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <div>
          <div
style="border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm 0cm 0cm">
            <p class="MsoNormal"><b>Från:</b> Healeys
              <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a> <b>För
              </b>Hank Leach via Healeys<br>
              <b>Skickat:</b> den 17 september 2023 18:26<br>
              <b>Till:</b> 'Tom Felts' <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
              <b>Kopia:</b> 'healeys' <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a><br>
              <b>Ämne:</b> Re: [Healeys] The single most confusing
              engine shutdown problem ever!<o:p></o:p></p>
          </div>
        </div>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:12.0pt">Spider in fuel
          cap vent hole blocking free flow of air. Yes, I have seen it
          bring a Healey to its knees.  Hank<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p>-----------------------------------------<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:12.0pt">From: "Tom
          Felts via Healeys" <br>
          To: "healeys"<br>
          Cc: <br>
          Sent: Sunday September 17 2023 8:30:35AM<br>
          Subject: [Healeys] The single most confusing engine shutdown
          problem ever!<o:p></o:p></p>
        <div>
          <div>
            <div>
              <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Was
                  our driving a while back, engine purring, and suddenly
                  she shut down.  Let it sit for a while and she would
                  start and run for a while--then shut down again.  I
                  tried many fixes which I will list below.  Several
                  times after the fixes she went for miles and miles and
                  I thought I had "fixed" it.  Nope-----yesterday----it
                  was AAA tow time once again (3 times this year).  <o:p></o:p></span></p>
            </div>
            <div>
              <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
            </div>
            <div>
              <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">The
                  last 2 shutdown times came when she was idling waiting
                  for a light or for a car to pass.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
            </div>
            <div>
              <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
            </div>
            <div>
              <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">So
                  here is what I have tried:  * new coil  * new voltage
                  regulator  * new fuel pump  * New ignition switch  *
                  Blew out the fuel lines * pulled float bowls and
                  cleaned them (no debris inside)  * Pulled the
                  distributor plate out and cleaned and oiled it  *
                  disconnected the wire leading from the battery cutoff
                  switch to the coil. * bypassed the entire battery
                  cutoff switch * replaced the Pertronix with a new one 
                  * checked all the sparkplug wires to make sure they
                  were on properly  *  replaced the distributor rotor
                  *Replaced the distributor cap . * checked the small
                  ground wire inside the distributor to make sure it was
                  attached properly.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
            </div>
            <div>
              <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
            </div>
            <div>
              <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"> All
                  this----and STILL o joy.  I'm really out of ideas at
                  this point.  If anyone has any ideas for me to check
                  please share them.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
            </div>
            <div>
              <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
            </div>
            <div>
              <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Thanks<o:p></o:p></span></p>
            </div>
            <div>
              <p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Tom<o:p></o:p></span></p>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------dbPkW6BvJzcOnZE4J8ZK5Tyl--

--===============6899536559104502935==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6899536559104502935==--