Subject: Re: [Healeys] Timeless shape !

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 07:17:05 -0700

wrt: "... there's almost a delay between when it starts to turn and when 
it finishes turning"

Yep. I think it's partly due to the 'slop' in the worm-and-peg steering, 
and significant understeer. I put a larger (front) sway bar on my BJ8 
and that helped (at least, the car stays flatter in turns). Also, 
setting camber to zero--or presumably, negative--makes turn-in/out a bit 
more responsive. Ironically, perhaps, if your car tracks true driving on 
straight highways is actually more relaxed and can be done with 
'thumb-and-index-finger.' I feel like I have to keep a pretty good grip 
on my Mustang's wheel, with electric-assisted rack-and-pinion, lest it 
get away from me (at least, in the 'sport' mode I usually drive in).

Note he had a big grin on his face for most of the video.

On 9/23/2023 9:11 PM, Roger Grace wrote:
> Wonder if others have seen this - I still enjoyed it.
> Not sure that I understand his comment about the steering time lag.  I 
> have not noticed this phenomenon on mine ?
> rg
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIUyMUqGJ5I
>

_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Collins via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 14:40:36 +0000

--===============1055133055581456182==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_CH3PR19MB808831C20A67535B7DC7DBAFBFFDACH3PR19MB8088namp_"

--_000_CH3PR19MB808831C20A67535B7DC7DBAFBFFDACH3PR19MB8088namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_CH3PR19MB808831C20A67535B7DC7DBAFBFFDACH3PR19MB8088namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_CH3PR19MB808831C20A67535B7DC7DBAFBFFDACH3PR19MB8088namp_--

--===============1055133055581456182==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1055133055581456182==--

---

From: i erbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 08:44:17 -0700

--===============4064752848639988957==

--00000000000072ac8106061cb775

I have not seen it before. He seems to short shit. Running out the gears is
a big part of the joy of hammering my car down the road. Sounds like the
steering box needs attention. I agree that my 100-6 is a beast, especially
with the MK1 engine and performance updates. That said it is still a joy to
drive and own after almost 50 years .
Always great to see the car rolling down the road

Ira Erbs
Milwaukie, OR
1959 Austin Healey 100-6
1967 MGB Roadster

On Sat, Sep 23, 2023, 10:18 PM Roger Grace <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>
>

--00000000000072ac8106061cb775
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">I have not seen it before. He seems to short shit. Runnin=
g out the gears is a big part of the joy of hammering my car down the road.=
 Sounds like the steering box needs attention. I agree that my 100-6 is a b=
east, especially with the MK1 engine and performance updates. That said it =
is still a joy to drive and own after almost 50 years .<div dir=3D"auto">Al=
ways great to see the car rolling down the road=C2=A0<br><div dir=3D"auto">=
<br><br><div data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature" dir=3D"auto">Ira Erbs<br>Mi=
lwaukie, OR<br>1959 Austin Healey 100-6<br>1967 MGB Roadster</div></div></d=
iv></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_att=
r">On Sat, Sep 23, 2023, 10:18 PM Roger Grace &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:roggrac=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padd=
ing-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Wonder if others have seen this - I sti=
ll enjoyed it.</div><div>Not sure that I understand his comment about the s=
teering time lag.=C2=A0 I have not noticed this phenomenon on mine ?<br></d=
iv><div>rg</div><div><br></div><div><a href=3D"https://www.youtube.com/watc=
h?v=3DsIUyMUqGJ5I" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">https://www.youtube=
.com/watch?v=3DsIUyMUqGJ5I</a></div></div>
_______________________________________________<br>
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferr=
er" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferr=
er">[email-masked]</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/heal=
eys</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http=
://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--00000000000072ac8106061cb775--

--===============4064752848639988957==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4064752848639988957==--

---

From: Simon Lachlan via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 21:03:33 +0100

"Heavy" this, "Heavy" that? Steering sounds sloppy for sure. I don't find mine to be heavy....depends what one's used to? Maybe the car needs work in that area....My BT7 has about a zillion grease nipples under there. Maybe some of them haven't been getting their share. Mind you, don't BJ8s have some differences in this area? 
Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: Healeys <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Bob Spidell
Sent: 24 September 2023 15:17
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Timeless shape !

wrt: "... there's almost a delay between when it starts to turn and when it finishes turning"

Yep. I think it's partly due to the 'slop' in the worm-and-peg steering, and significant understeer. I put a larger (front) sway bar on my BJ8 and that helped (at least, the car stays flatter in turns). Also, setting camber to zero--or presumably, negative--makes turn-in/out a bit more responsive. Ironically, perhaps, if your car tracks true driving on straight highways is actually more relaxed and can be done with 'thumb-and-index-finger.' I feel like I have to keep a pretty good grip on my Mustang's wheel, with electric-assisted rack-and-pinion, lest it get away from me (at least, in the 'sport' mode I usually drive in).

[email-masked]

[email-masked]