Subject: [Healeys] Sidescreen felt

From: Simon Lachlan via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 13:38:05 +0100 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0021_01D9F211.038FECB0"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01D9F211.038FECB0
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0022_01D9F211.03919A60"

------=_NextPart_001_0022_01D9F211.03919A60
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi,

I=92m trying to sort out the sidescreens in my MkII BT7. Nothing too =
drastic,
just the rubber seals and the felts. I gather that there are quite a few
different sidescreens so see attached.

=20

Now. I bought the rubber surrounds and the so-called felt. Actually, the
surrounds aren=92t rubber anymore. They=92re some sort of synthetic =
siliconish
rubber lookalike. Problem being that stuff doesn=92t stretch so it=92s a =
pretty
tricky install. I half recall doing the same job about 25 years =
ago=85.the
mists of time. I could push and pull them down the slots in the frames =
and
get them in. Not easy, but doable. I tried that this time=85.it would go =
in
just so far =96 about 80% - and then the friction would overcome my best
efforts and all my WD40. I spoke to Keith Bates at Ahead4Healeys, whence
they came. He said that the trick with these things is to lay them into =
the
slots so that one side is in place, then force the other side in with a
suitably rounded-off implement ie not to cut the material. That worked =
OK
and I=92ll leave a note for my heirs as to how to do it in another 25 =
years
time.

That was just for info and interest=85..So, the felt=85It arrived as a =
length
about 70=94 (1780mm) long by  =BE=94 (19.05mm). (Sufficient for both =
sides). Black
felt, nice stuff. It bears little resemblance to what=92s survived in my =
car
which, I=92d guess, started off at =BC=94 (9.5mm) wide and is/was stuck =
to one
side of the groove through which the Perspex(?) slides.

I am tempted to try to lightly glue this stuff into the groove in a =
U-shape
and let the to and fro of the Perspex fashion it into shape. But I can =
see
that=92s likely to be easier in theory than in practise! I have visions =
of
stuck windows and mess everywhere.=20

Any ideas? What=92s the accepted wisdom? Trouble being that it=92s not =
something
that we do very often, if ever at all.

=20

Interestingly, Keith said that there=92s only one supplier worldwide for =
the
rubber seals. And that=92s in the States, Moss. He kind of admitted that =
the
items are pretty shoddy but said that they might only sell 10 in a year, =
if
they=92re lucky,  and that making their own was out of the question. =
Tooling
alone would kill it.

Simon

------=_NextPart_001_0022_01D9F211.03919A60
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word =
15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Hi,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I&#8217;m =
trying to sort out the sidescreens in my MkII BT7. Nothing too drastic, =
just the rubber seals and the felts. I gather that there are quite a few =
different sidescreens so see attached.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Now. I =
bought the rubber surrounds and the so-called felt. Actually, the =
surrounds aren&#8217;t rubber anymore. They&#8217;re some sort of =
synthetic siliconish rubber lookalike. Problem being that stuff =
doesn&#8217;t stretch so it&#8217;s a pretty tricky install. I half =
recall doing the same job about 25 years ago&#8230;.the mists of time. I =
could push and pull them down the slots in the frames and get them in. =
Not easy, but doable. I tried that this time&#8230;.it would go in just =
so far &#8211; about 80% - and then the friction would overcome my best =
efforts and all my WD40. I spoke to Keith Bates at Ahead4Healeys, whence =
they came. He said that the trick with these things is to lay them into =
the slots so that one side is in place, then force the other side in =
with a suitably rounded-off implement ie not to cut the material. That =
worked OK and I&#8217;ll leave a note for my heirs as to how to do it in =
another 25 years time.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>That was just =
for info and interest&#8230;..So, the felt&#8230;It arrived as a length =
about 70&#8221; (1780mm) long by=A0 =BE&#8221; (19.05mm). (Sufficient =
for both sides). Black felt, nice stuff. It bears little resemblance to =
what&#8217;s survived in my car which, I&#8217;d guess, started off at =
=BC&#8221; (9.5mm) wide and is/was stuck to one side of the groove =
through which the Perspex(?) slides.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I am tempted to try to lightly glue this stuff into =
the groove in a U-shape and let the to and fro of the Perspex fashion it =
into shape. But I can see that&#8217;s likely to be easier in theory =
than in practise! I have visions of stuck windows and mess everywhere. =
<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Any ideas? What&#8217;s the accepted =
wisdom? Trouble being that it&#8217;s not something that we do very =
often, if ever at all.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Interestingly, Keith said that there&#8217;s only one =
supplier worldwide for the rubber seals. And that&#8217;s in the States, =
Moss. He kind of admitted that the items are pretty shoddy but said that =
they might only sell 10 in a year, if they&#8217;re lucky, =A0and that =
making their own was out of the question. Tooling alone would kill =
it.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Simon<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_001_0022_01D9F211.03919A60--

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01D9F211.038FECB0
	name="IMG_1396.JPG"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="IMG_1396.JPG"

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01D9F211.038FECB0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01D9F211.038FECB0--

---

From: Kees Oudesluijs via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:35:16 +0200

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============3083186330283056657==
 boundary="------------d6fXwJlVxQBCVepK3zNiigjJ"
Content-Language: en-GB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------d6fXwJlVxQBCVepK3zNiigjJ
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

For rubber parts you may try Mc Greggor in Canada:

MacGregor British Car Parts
376 Mill Street, Units 5&6, Dundas, Ontario L9H 2M1
Phone: 905-627-4006

macgregorukcarparts.com

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 28-9-2023 om 14:38 schreef Simon Lachlan via Healeys:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’m trying to sort out the sidescreens in my MkII BT7. Nothing too 
> drastic, just the rubber seals and the felts. I gather that there are 
> quite a few different sidescreens so see attached.
>
> Now. I bought the rubber surrounds and the so-called felt. Actually, 
> the surrounds aren’t rubber anymore. They’re some sort of synthetic 
> siliconish rubber lookalike. Problem being that stuff doesn’t stretch 
> so it’s a pretty tricky install. I half recall doing the same job 
> about 25 years ago….the mists of time. I could push and pull them down 
> the slots in the frames and get them in. Not easy, but doable. I tried 
> that this time….it would go in just so far – about 80% - and then the 
> friction would overcome my best efforts and all my WD40. I spoke to 
> Keith Bates at Ahead4Healeys, whence they came. He said that the trick 
> with these things is to lay them into the slots so that one side is in 
> place, then force the other side in with a suitably rounded-off 
> implement ie not to cut the material. That worked OK and I’ll leave a 
> note for my heirs as to how to do it in another 25 years time.
>
> That was just for info and interest…..So, the felt…It arrived as a 
> length about 70” (1780mm) long by  ¾” (19.05mm). (Sufficient for both 
> sides). Black felt, nice stuff. It bears little resemblance to what’s 
> survived in my car which, I’d guess, started off at ¼” (9.5mm) wide 
> and is/was stuck to one side of the groove through which the 
> Perspex(?) slides.
>
> I am tempted to try to lightly glue this stuff into the groove in a 
> U-shape and let the to and fro of the Perspex fashion it into shape. 
> But I can see that’s likely to be easier in theory than in practise! I 
> have visions of stuck windows and mess everywhere.
>
> Any ideas? What’s the accepted wisdom? Trouble being that it’s not 
> something that we do very often, if ever at all.
>
> Interestingly, Keith said that there’s only one supplier worldwide for 
> the rubber seals. And that’s in the States, Moss. He kind of admitted 
> that the items are pretty shoddy but said that they might only sell 10 
> in a year, if they’re lucky,  and that making their own was out of the 
> question. Tooling alone would kill it.
>
> Simon
>
>
> Support Team.Nethttp://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys  http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]
>

-- 
Dit e-mailbericht is met AVG-antivirussoftware gecontroleerd op virussen.
www.avg.com
--------------d6fXwJlVxQBCVepK3zNiigjJ
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>For rubber parts you may try Mc Greggor in Canada:</p>
    <p>MacGregor British Car Parts<br>
      376 Mill Street, Units 5&amp;6, Dundas, Ontario L9H 2M1<br>
      Phone: 905-627-4006<br>
    </p>
    <p>macgregorukcarparts.com<br>
    </p>
    <p>Kees Oudesluijs<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Op 28-9-2023 om 14:38 schreef Simon
      Lachlan via Healeys:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <meta name="Generator"
        content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
      <style>@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal">Hi,<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">I’m trying to sort out the sidescreens in
          my MkII BT7. Nothing too drastic, just the rubber seals and
          the felts. I gather that there are quite a few different
          sidescreens so see attached.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Now. I bought the rubber surrounds and the
          so-called felt. Actually, the surrounds aren’t rubber anymore.
          They’re some sort of synthetic siliconish rubber lookalike.
          Problem being that stuff doesn’t stretch so it’s a pretty
          tricky install. I half recall doing the same job about 25
          years ago….the mists of time. I could push and pull them down
          the slots in the frames and get them in. Not easy, but doable.
          I tried that this time….it would go in just so far – about 80%
          - and then the friction would overcome my best efforts and all
          my WD40. I spoke to Keith Bates at Ahead4Healeys, whence they
          came. He said that the trick with these things is to lay them
          into the slots so that one side is in place, then force the
          other side in with a suitably rounded-off implement ie not to
          cut the material. That worked OK and I’ll leave a note for my
          heirs as to how to do it in another 25 years time.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">That was just for info and interest…..So,
          the felt…It arrived as a length about 70” (1780mm) long by  ¾”
          (19.05mm). (Sufficient for both sides). Black felt, nice
          stuff. It bears little resemblance to what’s survived in my
          car which, I’d guess, started off at ¼” (9.5mm) wide and
          is/was stuck to one side of the groove through which the
          Perspex(?) slides.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">I am tempted to try to lightly glue this
          stuff into the groove in a U-shape and let the to and fro of
          the Perspex fashion it into shape. But I can see that’s likely
          to be easier in theory than in practise! I have visions of
          stuck windows and mess everywhere. <o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Any ideas? What’s the accepted wisdom?
          Trouble being that it’s not something that we do very often,
          if ever at all.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Interestingly, Keith said that there’s only
          one supplier worldwide for the rubber seals. And that’s in the
          States, Moss. He kind of admitted that the items are pretty
          shoddy but said that they might only sell 10 in a year, if
          they’re lucky,  and that making their own was out of the
          question. Tooling alone would kill it.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Simon<o:p></o:p></p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  <div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br /><table style="border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;"><tr><td style="width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a href="http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient" target="_blank"><img src="https://s-install.avcdn.net/ipm/preview/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png" alt="" width="46" height="29" style="width: 46px; height: 29px;"/></a></td><td style="width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color: #41424e; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virusvrij.<a href="http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient" target="_blank" style="color: #4453ea;">www.avg.com</a></td></tr></table><a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1" height="1"> </a></div></body>
</html>

--------------d6fXwJlVxQBCVepK3zNiigjJ--

--===============3083186330283056657==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3083186330283056657==--