Subject: [Healeys] Glycol in oil

From: Ian Hey via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 10:04:38 -0000

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============7928644557379772944==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_006C_01DA739B.875EC0F0"
Content-Language: en-gb

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_006C_01DA739B.875EC0F0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

When I rebuilt my engine, in order to try to prevent the well documented
leak from oil to coolant for which a repair kit is available, I first had my
block cleaned (dipped in I know not what for a week) followed by resin
vacuum impregnation.  For the UK see
https://www.midlanddeburrandfinish.co.uk/casting-impregnation but I am sure
that similar is available in the USA.

This process has the significant advantage that all surfaces of the block
are effectively resin coated, and the water jacket no longer corrodes,
improving heat transfer to the coolant.  However, the dimensions of the
block are not altered - my cam followers run in the original bores without
any machining.  My block was rebored after the above processes, and at least
honing would be advisable.

The snag is of course that the engine must be completely disassembled, and
all copper/brass parts are destroyed by the dipping process.  Cam bearings
must therefore be replaced.  I removed my main oil gallery plugs before
dipping, and they are replaced by screwed plugs sealed with the appropriate
grade of Loctite.

Ian

------=_NextPart_000_006C_01DA739B.875EC0F0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Aptos;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Aptos",sans-serif;
	mso-ligatures:standardcontextual;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#467886;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Aptos",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#467886" vlink=3D"#96607D" style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>When I rebuilt my engine, in =
order to try to prevent the well documented leak from oil to coolant for =
which a repair kit is available, I first had my block cleaned (dipped in =
I know not what for a week) followed by resin vacuum impregnation.&nbsp; =
For the UK see <a =
href=3D"https://www.midlanddeburrandfinish.co.uk/casting-impregnation">ht=
tps://www.midlanddeburrandfinish.co.uk/casting-impregnation</a> but I am =
sure that similar is available in the USA.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>This process =
has the significant advantage that all surfaces of the block are =
effectively resin coated, and the water jacket no longer corrodes, =
improving heat transfer to the coolant.&nbsp; However, the dimensions of =
the block are not altered &#8211; my cam followers run in the original =
bores without any machining.&nbsp; My block was rebored after the above =
processes, and at least honing would be advisable.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>The snag is =
of course that the engine must be completely disassembled, and all =
copper/brass parts are destroyed by the dipping process.&nbsp; Cam =
bearings must therefore be replaced.&nbsp; I removed my main oil gallery =
plugs before dipping, and they are replaced by screwed plugs sealed with =
the appropriate grade of Loctite.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Ian<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_006C_01DA739B.875EC0F0--

--===============7928644557379772944==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============7928644557379772944==--

---

From: Ken via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 13:50:00 -0500

--===============7274411056680095507==

----_com.samsung.android.email_42741149320140
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.samsung.android.email_42741149320140
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.samsung.android.email_42741149320140--

--===============7274411056680095507==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7274411056680095507==--