Subject: [Healeys] Squealy Brakes

From: "m.g.sharp--- via Healeys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 20:26:00 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============5449388794864351992==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_01C5_01DA8F73.218DE7D0"
Content-Language: en-ca

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_01C5_01DA8F73.218DE7D0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi all,  I have had intermittent squealy brakes on my BT7 the last year or
so.  I got it out of hibernation a week ago and the squealing is worse, it
seems.  I don't mind heads turning when I pull up at a light, but not
because it sounds like I just ran over a cat.

I put new pads in a few years back and installed the anti-squeal shims, but
they did not work.   Today I pulled out the pads, tossed the shims and
lightly rubbed the pads on a sheet of #120 emery on a plate of glass, just
to take the sheen of the friction side and ensure the backs were flat.  I
took a file and gently broke the leading and trailing edges of the friction
material, as the edges were quite sharp and though one could be catching.  I
then cleaned the pads with brake part cleaner.   I also lightly used emery
on the disks to remove any glaze.   I had gone to my local auto parts
supplier to see if  they had any anti-squeal shims but they don't sell them
separately from the pads.  However, they highly recommended a Permatex
product with the promising name "Disc Brake Quiet" [sic].   This I applied
per the instructions, spraying it on the back of the pads.  I blew the dust
out of the calipers and, as best I could, checked the pistons for
irregularities where they bear on the pads.  The calipers were re-built
about 5 years ago with stainless pistons and they looked as new.  Retaining
pins were cleaned and very lightly greased.  I re-assembled everything and
went  out for a test drive.

The results were staggering in that there was no difference whatsoever.

So folks - any good ideas out there?  I am wondering if should switch out
the pads, but mine are barely worn and I am not sure I have record of what I
put in, so may end up with the same make.  Other than that, I am flummoxed.

All suggestions welcome.

------=_NextPart_000_01C5_01DA8F73.218DE7D0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-ligatures:standardcontextual;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-US>Hi =
all,&nbsp; I have had intermittent squealy brakes on my BT7 the last =
year or so.&nbsp; I got it out of hibernation a week ago and the =
squealing is worse, it seems.&nbsp; I don&#8217;t mind heads turning =
when I pull up at a light, but not because it sounds like I just ran =
over a cat.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-US><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-US>I put new pads in a few years back and installed the =
anti-squeal shims, but they did not work. &nbsp;&nbsp;Today I pulled out =
the pads, tossed the shims and lightly rubbed the pads on a sheet of =
#120 emery on a plate of glass, just to take the sheen of the friction =
side and ensure the backs were flat. &nbsp;I took a file and gently =
broke the leading and trailing edges of the friction material, as the =
edges were quite sharp and though one could be catching. &nbsp;I then =
cleaned the pads with brake part cleaner.&nbsp;&nbsp; I also lightly =
used emery on the disks to remove any glaze. &nbsp;&nbsp;I had gone to =
my local auto parts supplier to see if&nbsp; they had any anti-squeal =
shims but they don&#8217;t sell them separately from the pads.&nbsp; =
However, they highly recommended a Permatex product with the promising =
name &#8220;Disc Brake Quiet&#8221; [sic]. &nbsp;&nbsp;This I applied =
per the instructions, spraying it on the back of the pads.&nbsp; I blew =
the dust out of the calipers and, as best I could, checked the pistons =
for irregularities where they bear on the pads.&nbsp; The calipers were =
re-built about 5 years ago with stainless pistons and they looked as =
new.&nbsp; Retaining pins were cleaned and very lightly greased.&nbsp; I =
re-assembled everything and went &nbsp;out for a test =
drive.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-US><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-US>The results were staggering in that there was no difference =
whatsoever.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-US><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
lang=3DEN-US>So folks &#8211; any good ideas out there?&nbsp; I am =
wondering if should switch out the pads, but mine are barely worn and I =
am not sure I have record of what I put in, so may end up with the same =
make.&nbsp; Other than that, I am flummoxed.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-US><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span lang=3DEN-US>All suggestions =
welcome.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_01C5_01DA8F73.218DE7D0--

--===============5449388794864351992==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

--===============5449388794864351992==--