Subject: [Healeys] emergency brake system query-

From: RCobb <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:39:41 -0700

BJ8 was fully functional when parked in storage a couple years ago.  
Handbrake was engaged.

Recently, when preparing the car for "re-activation", upon releasing the 
handbrake, the cable disengaged at the lever's pivot point, as though 
the cable/linkages/whatever are binding or frozen.

The challenges: I have not been able to find documentation that clearly 
shows how the brake cable is run, or how any linkages behind the brake 
backing plates or within the brake drums are configured (which would 
help direct attention to what may need to be freed-up); if it would help 
to pull the rear wheels and drums, there is only a 12" clearance next to 
the left side of the car and maybe 18" on the right side; the car was 
backed-in and it's not feasible to roll the car out of the storage 
space, as there is a significant slope, which would limit the option of 
jacking the rear of the car, while on the slope; I suspect the car would 
not roll anyway, since the handbrake is functionally engaged.

I've jacked the rear up about 14", but that does not give me enough 
visual information to determine the source of the problem or how it may 
be corrected.

Suggestions, from those who are familiar with how the emergency brake 
system functions, are solicited. Thanks in advance.

Bob

_______________________________________________
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/[email-masked]

---

From: Hank Leach via Healeys <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 02:49:30 +0000 Ebv8PmsjIqJ2xfEuvRxxlMtX5DHQ+Pi3iqLuGkRf6Y998TeDGmWuTdHMGb0fejuoEUNYcL92mgw9sQ/EwIkF/7d4ZOJwWYdy8nQ=

--===============4463265478391751485==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div>Never park the car with the handbrake engaged for a long (storage) =
period,&nbsp; Its meant to activate when you need it and then released for =
driving. The shoes are more than likely frozen to the drums.Heat and =
banging on the face of the drums might release them. =
Hank<br>-------------------- <br><br>From: "RCobb" &lt;[email-masked]&gt; =
<br>To: &lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br>Sent: April 22, 2024 at 4:57 PM =
PDT <br>Subject: [Healeys] emergency brake system query- <br>BJ8 was fully =
functional when parked in storage a couple years ago.&nbsp; Handbrake was =
engaged.<br>Recently, when preparing the car for "re-activation", upon =
releasing the handbrake, the cable disengaged at the lever's pivot point, =
as though the cable/linkages/whatever are binding or frozen. The =
challenges: I have not been able to find documentation that clearly shows =
how the brake cable is run, or how any linkages behind the brake backing =
plates or within the brake drums are configured (which would help direct =
attention to what may need to be freed-up); if it would help to pull the =
rear wheels and drums, there is only a 12" clearance next to the left side =
of the car and maybe 18" on the right side; the car was backed-in and it's =
not feasible to roll the car out of the storage space, as there is a =
significant slope, which would limit the option of jacking the rear of the =
car, while on the slope; I suspect the car would not roll anyway, since the=
 handbrake is functionally engaged. I've jacked the rear up about 14", but =
that does not give me enough visual information to determine the source of =
the problem or how it may be corrected. Suggestions, from those who are =
familiar with how the emergency brake system functions, are solicited. =
Thanks in advance. Bob _______________________________________________ =
$12.75 Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.=
net/archive/healeys [email-masked] http://autox.team.=
net/mailman/listinfo/healeys Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.=
net/mailman/options/healeys/gradea1@charter.=
net</div>

--===============4463265478391751485==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4463265478391751485==--