Subject: [Mg-t] Front Shock Bolts

From: "gunnellj tds.net" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 09:52:10 -0600

We have both Griling and Armstrong shocks that Worlwide has rebuilt and are
wanting to put one pair on the 1950 MG TD "hot rod" we are doing. The car
will have a Ford V8-60 flathead engine.
Question 1 - Is either design better for this application? The Armstrongs
"look" better as the filer caps match the back shocks. But that doesn't
mean they work better.
Question 2 - It seems that Moss no longer stocks the bolts to hold the
Armstrong shocks to the frame and we have lost track of our bolts. In a
quick test it almost seems like either 10 mm fine bolts or 3/8-in. fine
bolts will thread far enough into the holes, but the test bolts are old and
cruddy and we can't be sure.
Does either of these sizes work or do we have to find a source of Whitworth
fasteners?
If we used the 10 mm or 3/8-in. fine should we re-tap the holes to whatever
size?
Thanks for any help.

-- 

"Gunner"

John Gunnell
PO Box 87
Iola, WI 54945
Ph: 715-445-4262
Cell: 715-281-5925

LIVIN' THE DREAM

Please visit Gunner's Great Garage

Restoration Shop - Automotive Book Shop - Art Gallery

E6110 Fuhs Rd, Manawa, WI 54949

Cell: 715-281-5925 (anytime)

 Take A Slide Show Tour of the Shop at  www.gunnersgreatgarage.com

Check my blog Gunner's Garage at www.oldcarsweekly.com

Publications and Websites I Contribute To: Old Cars Weekly, Old Cars
Restoration Guide, For Vettes Only, Amos Auto Enthusiast Weekly (digital),
Auto Enthusiast (print),  Towing & Recovery Footnotes, Auto Restorer,
Vintage Truck, Vette Vues, Free Riders Press, Second Chance Garage, Garage
Style, Ol Skool Rodz, Car Kulture Deluxe, Gunner's Great Garage News
(blog), Gunner's Garage (blog), Super Chevy, Muscle Car Review, Smoke
Signals, Pontiac Registry (Website), Classic Motorsports, Gearhead News,
Keith Lasrsen Show Newstalk 1110 / WBLT Radio  Charlotte, N.C., Muzzy
Broadcasting System's Legends of Country B-104.9 Stevens Point WI &
Occasional Others.
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 16:19:26 +0000 (UTC)

Weren't the wing stampings changed to accommodate the Armstrong shocks? I seem
to recall that the Armstrong shocks won't clear the early wings. But my
memory's failed me before.

B 

And, by the way, retapping the mounting holes to US or metric threads would
certainly weaken the structure.

B 

Ed Woods

----- Original Message -----

From: "John Seim" <[email-masked]>
To: "gunnellj tds.net" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:04:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Front Shock Bolts

The bolts are 3/8"-20 BSF.
The ones for the Armstrongs are shorter than those used for Girlings,
as Girlings had a thicked mounting base. You will need one longer one,
for the engine steady bracket. There is a round spacer, that goes on top
of the shock base for the Armstrongs, between the damper and the bracket.

Actually, either design is OK. Girlings have a cast iron body, and do not
wear.
Armstrongs, with either pot metal or aluminum bodies, tend to wear a little.
That only matters when you rebuild them.

Moss Motors sells 3/8" BSF bolts. I believe that they were 1 1/4" long for
Armstrong,
with the exception of the one with the bracket. That I believe was 1 3/4"
long.

John Seim
Irvine, CA

On Jan 22, 2013, at 7:52 AM, gunnellj tds.net wrote:

> Take A Slide Show Tour of the Shop at B www.gunnersgreatgarage.com
>
> Auto Enthusiast (print), B Towing & Recovery Footnotes, Auto Restorer,
> Keith Lasrsen Show Newstalk 1110 / WBLT Radio B Charlotte, N.C., Muzzy
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation B $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: John Seim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 08:30:29 -0800

The hole positions are the same for the front shocks, Girling or Armstrong.
The rear hole positions are different.
The later front wings have a hump in them, to accommodate the taller Armstrong
shocks.

Yes, retapping the threaded holes to US or metric will weaken the threads.

John Seim
Irvine, CA

On Jan 22, 2013, at 8:19 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Weren't the wing stampings changed to accommodate the Armstrong shocks? I
seem to recall that the Armstrong shocks won't clear the early wings. But my
memory's failed me before.
> > Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47

[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 20:25:31 GMT

Yes, wings were altered to fit the Armstrongs. I have seen Girling wings on
cars with Armstrongs, but it has been a tight fit at best, and there may have
been spacers involved.
Bob
---------- Original Message ----------
From: [email-masked]
To: John Seim <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Front Shock Bolts
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 16:19:26 +0000 (UTC)

seem

B

B

Ed Woods

----- Original Message -----

John Seim
Irvine, CA

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

[email-masked]