Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Restoration

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 13:28:48 -0500 (EST)

Greetings:
 
In redoing my rear splash pan - I did the unthinkable and deviated from  
originality by using nylon spacers - they are stiff and strong and do not rust 
 and the bolts were BS because I had to go out and get special ones.
 
Michael
53 TD 
Houston

In a message dated 2/16/2013 7:06:07 A.M. Central Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Hi  John,
There were several (two or three) spacer washers between rear  wing and the
body that spaced the wing away from the valence. These cars  are not 
identical,
so you can use spacers as needed to achieve the 1/8  clearance mine has.
I don't know about the bolt kit. Fortunately,  all the original fastenings,
other than those for the running boards, are  sound.
The rubber kit question. Two members in our club have bought  the kit within
the past couple of years. It appears that some of the rubber  bits are
excellent, but some are oversize and clumsy looking. For my  project, I am
re-using some of the original rubber and getting what I must  from Moss.
Beading/welting. I ordered from Moss, whatever it  is they have in the
package. The others in the club who bought Moss welting  found that there 
was
not the smaller welting needed for the front splash  pan. I may have to get 
it
made, as the large size used for body to wing  attachment looks clumsy.
I do not know the RSP product, but have had  very successful results in some
marine applications with a product named  Git-Rot. It penetrates then 
saturates
the punky wood, then hardens into a  tough plastic that resembles the 
plastic
of screwdriver handles. Drill and  tap, as needed.
Bob

---------- Original Message  ----------
From: "gunnellj tds.net" <[email-masked]>
To:  [email-masked]
Subject: [Mg-t] Restoration
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013  21:48:21 -0600

Wow, i was at the body shop today and the '52 MG TD  looked like a car for
the first time in a long time. The shop owners is  asking me questions and I
guess it's time to order some parts,  too.

First question - Is there a spacer or anything between the rear  fenders and
their mounting bracket on the frame that keeps them from  rubbing against
the rear "gravel pan?" We can't see anything in the Moss  Catalog or shop
manual. The second MG (hot rod) has round rubber washers or  grommets on
both sides of one rear fender, but we don't know if the car is  "factory."

Second question:

A) Are Moss "bolt kits" worthg  ordering? Which ones? What don't the kits
include?
B) Same question for  the major body rubber kit ?
C) How about body beading? How much does a  typical restoration require?
C) What else?

Third  question:

Anyone have experience with a product call RSP (Rapid Setting  Polyester)
which was once the hot ticket in the old-car hobby for fixing  cars with
wood in them. We have some relatively minor rot at bottom of the  right-hand
front latch pillar. Wondering is we couldn't just use  RSP?

John Gunnell
Iola,  WI
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive