Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Restoration

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:04:44 GMT

Hi John,
  There were several (two or three) spacer washers between rear wing and the
body that spaced the wing away from the valence. These cars are not identical,
so you can use spacers as needed to achieve the 1/8 clearance mine has.
  I don't know about the bolt kit. Fortunately, all the original fastenings,
other than those for the running boards, are sound.
  The rubber kit question. Two members in our club have bought the kit within
the past couple of years. It appears that some of the rubber bits are
excellent, but some are oversize and clumsy looking. For my project, I am
re-using some of the original rubber and getting what I must from Moss.
   Beading/welting. I ordered from Moss, whatever it is they have in the
package. The others in the club who bought Moss welting found that there was
not the smaller welting needed for the front splash pan. I may have to get it
made, as the large size used for body to wing attachment looks clumsy.
  I do not know the RSP product, but have had very successful results in some
marine applications with a product named Git-Rot. It penetrates then saturates
the punky wood, then hardens into a tough plastic that resembles the plastic
of screwdriver handles. Drill and tap, as needed.
Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "gunnellj tds.net" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mg-t] Restoration
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 21:48:21 -0600

 Wow, i was at the body shop today and the '52 MG TD looked like a car for
the first time in a long time. The shop owners is asking me questions and I
guess it's time to order some parts, too.

First question - Is there a spacer or anything between the rear fenders and
their mounting bracket on the frame that keeps them from rubbing against
the rear "gravel pan?" We can't see anything in the Moss Catalog or shop
manual. The second MG (hot rod) has round rubber washers or grommets on
both sides of one rear fender, but we don't know if the car is "factory."

Second question:

A) Are Moss "bolt kits" worthg ordering? Which ones? What don't the kits
include?
B) Same question for the major body rubber kit ?
C) How about body beading? How much does a typical restoration require?
C) What else?

Third question:

Anyone have experience with a product call RSP (Rapid Setting Polyester)
which was once the hot ticket in the old-car hobby for fixing cars with
wood in them. We have some relatively minor rot at bottom of the right-hand
front latch pillar. Wondering is we couldn't just use RSP?

John Gunnell
Iola, WI
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive