Subject: [Mg-t] Engine cleaning - need Help

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 05:30:54 -0500 (EST)

Have had to pull XPAG engine out of my 53 TD
 
Cylinder head rebuilt formerly by a real amateur - used different diameter  
valves in every cylinder.  Found this because the head gasket gave out and  
water got in oil.
 
Now to clean the engine block water passages & seperately oil passages  
need your collective advise.
 
Is it wise to use phosphoric acid in the water galleys?  Does it have  to 
be neutralized afterwards and with what solution?  Or is it enough just  to 
massively flush out the acid?
 
Is it better to use a caustic solution such as sodium hydroxide (Draino  
crystals) - and does this need to be neutralized or just flushed?
 
I read about some passage way that needs cleaning behind one of the freeze  
plugs - any info on this?
 
How much does the engine weigh?
 
Is it safe to lift it with the head bolts without doing damage to the head  
bolts?
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 08:46:26 -0600 s=q20121106; t=1361025989; bh=ord1j5DpAi3A4w1rcW5azqbrZCqRtCnRZshdw0WxyQ4=; h=Received:Received:To:From:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=smA5MIHlPzZBBj5cbaOcIzvOfIE2AfqIrCv9NAYxSF1Di1s4svvIpOobNAxi21PRb pcSWSC/qnXbGE6BLHhViME6syWU2dOL9p8Euh+yksC+OgKEvgMoJ5UDTgThVsaguCH kk+/8jtecI293dzRqeHjuVVcdVAyWDlPIFYI3xJ9KBDYDjXKwL44lBpiBia1TQlffR SsqwV1WEvf41jE6D3UZewdVxShPbdr4mWNTpXe1Hnvm4lQxH8rbwgZ6I+kbsuwbiog l0jKFbWjloogGeVkEpTHEDSRu8y1i7JM7LMway5nCNPViajsNNkDPQe8oxGlrz+FGr 2KBKN9Uj7/okQ==

Yep, Ted, he did it right.  We've used high pressure soapy water on block passages for years.  Follow it with a clean water rinse, then use pressurized air blown through to dry it.
Finish with liberal amount of WD40 to displace anything left and prevent any rust, and you're off to the races!
Remember the technology, or lack thereof, when these cars were new..and that's why they're easy to work on.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

----- Reply message -----
From: "Ted Jackson" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, "	MG-T" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Mg-t] Engine cleaning - need Help
Date: Sat, Feb 16, 2013 06:12

The previous owner of my TD told me he lugged the block to a do-it-yourself
car wash and directed a high pressure jet into the water passages. He said
that the amount of crap he blew out was quite amazing.

My TD has, for the 14 years I've owned it, consistently run cooler than the
other TDs I know so he must have done something right.

Ted Jackson.
On Feb 16, 2013 5:31 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 22:41:08 -0500 (EST)

Some additional info:

Thanks all for the quick response - very generous and good quality - I  
washed it with Evaporust - seemed to do a very adequate job. 

However to avoid any other problems I rented and engine hoist and after  
taking out the engine set it on my bathroom scale.

Minus the head but all else intact - the engine was 217 lbs. Like you I had 
 thought it would tip the scales at 400- 500 - and actually I can still 
lift one  side of it by myself. That should have been the big indicator - I 
could never  lift 250.

However I am glad I rented the lift ($40.00 all weekend)  for it was  
easier to move around and take out by myself - otherwise I would have had to run  
up and down the street begging someone to give a hand and that would have 
cost  me some beers. This way I had more for myself.

I will continue to throw out questions as I now must tackle the cleaning of 
 the oil side.

Below I am resting with my Lefty
Thanks 

Michael Balahutrak
53 TD 
Houston

 
In a message dated 2/16/2013 9:49:10 A.M. Central Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Disconnect radiator hoses, before flushing engine.
You could use  phosphoric acid, just wash out with lots of water afterwards.
Or, you could  use oxalic acid. Again, wash out with lots of water 
afterwards.
Or, just  pressure wash.
Raised water passage with two small core plugs, has a hole  that passes into
main water gallery. This generally is blocked. At bottom  of back of 
opening.
About a 3/16" drill opening.

If you lift with  the cylinder studs, no problem. 

John Seim
Irvine, CA

> Is it safe to lift it with the head bolts without doing damage to the  
head  
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]