Subject: [Mg-t] MG TF Wood

From: "gunnellj tds.net" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 09:33:12 -0600

OK. I cut the bolt with a hacksaw and got the spare tire carrier off.

Now the next step is trying to get the new gas tank backboard in without
removing the body or destroying the sheet metal on the top or sides. I was
thinking about two possibilities.

#1 Cutting the backboard horizontally so I ghet two thinner pieces the
width of the car. Then sliding them into place one at a time. And then
using Kwick Poly (they used to call it RSP or rapid setting polyester) to
bond the board together, possibly with a metal reinforcment along the
horizontal cut. To bolt the board in place I think I would have to make
access holes in the side sheet metal to get at the bolts for tightening.

#2 Cutting the board verticaly. Slipping the right and left pieces i behind
the side sheetmetal and bonding the center edges with Kwik Poly (and maybe
a metal reinforcement strip). Again, I would have to drill bolt access
holes in the sheetmetal on each side.

#3 I'm assuming I can lift the top sheet metal rear panel (the piece
between the quarter panels) out by removing the nails. I think that
removing this panel gives access to 4 additional screw holes that reun
across the upper section of the wooden gas tank back board.

Note: None of my sheet metal around the back board is in great shape, so I
don't mind drilling access holes, making cuts, etc. Someday when the car is
"restored" all this will need to be replaced I think. What I have is not
terrible, it's just not real good. Also, I note that Moss has the top sheet
mnetal rear panel N/.A. Does someone else reproduce this for the TF?

-- 

"Gunner"

John Gunnell
PO Box 87
Iola, WI 54945
Ph: 715-445-4262
Cell: 715-281-5925

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Repop March 3, 2013 DSC_0013.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Repop March 3, 2013 DSC_0021.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Repop March 3, 2013 DSC_0022.jpg]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive