Subject: [Mg-t] The MG TD arrives in Texas

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 19:42:23 -0500

Hello Friends,

The MG TD I bought from Mr. Bill Schooler has arrived here in Texas.
Enclosed Vehicle Transport delivered the car to my garage (Yes, they
helped push it up the drive and into the garage.) and here I am with
the car.  May I proudly say, the car is everything Bill said it would
be, and perhaps even better than he described.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/MG_TD_in_garage.JPG

Following below are a number of pictures I took today as work began.
First of all, here's the car.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1029.JPG

Yea, it looks really rough - and it is - but its complete and
ultimately restorable.

Bill couldn't get the car started before loading on the transporter so
I decided to examine the fuel pump - the rumored defective link.  If I
could get it running I could do a hot compression test.  Here's how it
looked.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1030.JPG

Here are a couple more pictures taken to aid in reassembly.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1035.JPG

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1036.JPG

Upon removal of the filter I discovered a LOT of debris in the filter.
 Further examination showed that diaphragm to be damaged.  And in
reality, the engine will get completely rebuild so the intended
compression test was just to satisfy my curiosity.  It will have to
wait.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1037.JPG

I haven't yet decided whether to rebuild this pump or to just replace
it with an aftermarket one from Moss.  A betting man might benefit
from choosing the rebuild option.

Next step was to rebuild the high-tone horn.  It was not working so a
full rebuild was indicated.  First of all, I took pictures of the
mounting and wiring, again to aid in correct reassembly.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1038.JPG

Inside, the horn was just fine but with heavily corroded contacts.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1039.JPG

Back on the workbench, the contacts were cleaned and refaced, just as
one would do with ignition points.  I then stripped all the paint and
sanded away the rust.  The horn was then reassembled with a little
lubricant on the moving bits (but not the points, of course) and
tested on the bench power supply.  Voila!  It worked great!

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1040.JPG

Once reassembled, a coat of engine primer followed by a coat of gloss
black engine paint put it ready for re-installation.  Of course, that
will have to wait for MONTHS but, when reassembly time comes, this
part, like the rest, will be ready for a nice clean rebuild.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130330_165733.jpg

I moved on the the other horn but got no further than disassembly.
This horn does work but it too will receive the full process.

And with that, the day's work ended.  Its a tiny bit of progress but
it IS progress.  Simple and clean.

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: John Crawley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 17:42:21 +0000

Nice find Rick . . .May I suggest that as well as this list you join the
T-series group at  http://www2.mgcars.org.ukthey are a great bunch of guys and
the knowledge base is second to none. Ask any T question and you will most
likely have an answer within the hour. The archives are immense and you can
include a picture with each post. Godspeed in Safety FastJc

> Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 19:42:23 -0500
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: [Mg-t] The MG TD arrives in Texas
>
> Hello Friends,
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]