Subject: [Mg-t] Friday's TD work

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 16:19:36 -0500

Hello Friends,

More work today.  Retirement is fun. :-P  After cleaning up the
workbench, work began on the facia.  Here's how it looked just as I
removed it from the car.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1081.JPG

The vinyl has been sprayed black - along with parts of the chrome
trim.  In this next close-up you can see better the original interior
green color.  The exterior of the car was originally Woodland Green.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1082.JPG

The first disassembly work started at the glove box door.  I had
previously removed the hinges.  Here's how it looked on the bench with
the chrome trim and the vinyl removed.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1083.JPG

In that last picture you can just see the split wood allowing screws
to work loose.  In this next picture you can easily see the wood
delaminating and splitting from years of use stressing at the wood
screw holes.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1084.JPG

Before affecting repairs to the wood, I took three photos of the facia
with the trim removed but the vinyl in place, just as a reminder of
how the factory attached the vinyl.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1085.JPG

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1086.JPG

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1087.JPG

I then set about repairing the glove box door wood.  After a good
cleaning, I flowed waterproof wood glue between the laminae and into
the splits.  I then clamped the wood closed and wiped away any glue
oozing from the repairs.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1088.JPG

Working all around the door (until I ran out of clamps) I repeated the process.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1089.JPG

That work is now drying and won't be touched until later tomorrow.  I
then removed the windscreen and the mounts.  Here's how the metal
looks.  Yes, I have some work to do here.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1090.JPG

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1091.JPG

In the second picture, you may have noticed that the inside rear-view
mirror has also been removed.  It looked TERRIBLE and I felt that it
was a goner - until I attacked it with Semichrome polish and fine
steel wool.  Its totally restored now and looks awesome.  I didn't get
a picture after I finished but here's a look at it just after
discovering that it WOULD clean up nicely.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130405_143922.jpg

And that's where work ended for today.  Time for the shower.  Nancy
says I stink. :-o

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive