Subject: [Mg-t] Been stripping (paint

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 12:50:46 -0500

Hi Friends,

I spent some time this morning stripping paint and assessing rust
damage.  And of course, I took a few pictures.  To start, here's the
passenger rear quarter with the running board off and the rear wing
partially removed (read: loose).

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1192.JPG

In that picture I have done nothing other than strip the paint and
wipe the metal clean.  No sanding, no grinding.  That will come later.

Here's a look at the worst damage on the entire car.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1193.JPG

The metal is rusted away and 'some' of the wood is decayed.  However,
this timber is about 2" thick so the 1/8" of wood that's
surface-eroded, is not (in my opinion) a real issue.  When poked with
a screwdriver, the wood is sound everywhere.  I'll vacuum this whole
area out, seal the timber with a wood preservative then replace the
metal.

Here's another look at the door opening.  I would have removed the
rear wing BUT, the damned previously-captive nut has broken out of its
cage.  Its also NOT available to be held, being deep down between
welded panels. :-(   Gurrrr.  I hate rusted bolts.  And in this case,
I'm going to have to cut this rusted bugger off!

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1194.JPG

Here's another look.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1195.JPG

The running board came off pretty easily, for rusted bolts.  It is
beautifully undamaged and will be easily refinished.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1196.JPG

Before realizing that the front once-captive nut broke free from its
'captivity', I removed the tail light and left the wing hanging on one
top bolt (and the stuck one).

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1197.JPG

After getting cleaned up, I clipped the toothpick-wood-repairs off but
haven't yet sanded the surface.  I'll wait until I've repaired the
remaining tack holes, the screw holes and any gouged wood, before
refinishing that inner surface with wood sealer.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1199.JPG

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1200.JPG

And finally, I can't believe I've gone this long - over 45 years -
restoring cars without owning a set of these wheel dollys!!!  They're
genius!

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1198.JPG

Best regards from a dirty garage in Houston,

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bud Krueger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:03:17 -0400

Rick,

Maybe you need to slow up a bit.  For instance, the section of the hinge 
pillar that is mortised into the bottom main side isn't much more than a 
quarter inch thick.  The wooden components of the TD's frame have a 
symbiotic relationship that is important to the tub's rigidity and 
support.  These 1/8 inches can be the difference in doors latching or 
popping open.  Do you have sort of deadline that you're working toward?

Bud

[email-masked]