Subject: [Mg-t] Didn't get a lot done today BUT...

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 18:34:29 -0500

...I did play with our new grandbaby!!!  Woohoo!

Hello Friends,

I did make progress this afternoon so I'll share that work.

First of all, I cleaned the choke cable, inside and out, and cleaned
away a little surface rust on the outer sheath.  I also cleaned and
sprayed the knob with clear acrylic.  Once dry, the cable got lightly
oiled.  Here are the two cables, ready to re-install.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1073.JPG

I next cleaned, refinished and tested the turn signal switch.  When
some PO painted the dash black, the handle also got painted - kinda.
Here it is refinished and ready to reassemble and re-install.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1072.JPG

I next cleaned and evaluated the power sockets from the instrument
panel.  The metal bits are fine but the black and red insulators are
shot (falling apart) - and they're expensive.  I also don't expect to
reconnect them so I went for an alternative; two grommets in the holes
with the metal bits re-installed.  One of the grommets is now red.
Later, if I (or someone) wants to reconnect these sockets, the parts
are available.  Picture of the grommet follows, and in a later picture
with the other bits.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1074.JPG

The next repairs were made to the 'ignition', 'low fuel' and 'turn
signal' lights.  As many of you might know, the lamps are 2-1/2 volt
units in series with a coils of wire serving as a dropping resistors.
Unfortunately, the resistive wires were damaged on all sockets and
were damaged further upon removal from the instrument panel.  Instead
of buying replacements or fighting many feet of tiny wire, I modified
the lamp holders by jumpering across the ballast contacts and
switching to 12 volt bulbs.  Testing verified that the assemblies work
fine.  That said, I have seen indicators like this with the plastic
lens melted by contact with the hot lamp.  To address that issue, I am
going to use very low wattage bulbs.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1077.JPG

Here are the rest of the refurbished bits.  From left-to-right; the
kludged auxiliary power fittings, the fog lights switch, and the LEAST
useful bit of any British car: the dash light dimmer.  Really?!
Actually, its damaged inside and will be bypassed.  The knob hasn't
been acrylic coated because its broken.  I'll replace it with the
push-on aftermarket part from Moss.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1078.JPG

And finally, here is the license plate currently on the car.  The
first owner, in the mid-'50s, held some position on the consular staff
in Jordan.  I can easily read the 'C.C.125' but the Arabic text is
beyond me.  Any of you able to read it?

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1075.JPG

Happy Wednesday,

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 18:37:50 -0600

> ...I did play with our new grandbaby!!!  Woohoo!

Nice.

I really need to get busy on a project or two.  As was mentioned doing 
even just one
thing a day gets you closer to the final goal.  The weather here in Salt 
Lake is getting
nice and warm, I need to get in the habit of spending at least half in 
hour in the
garage every day.

mjb.

[email-masked]