Subject: Re: [Mg-t] More TD work, a.k.a. First day of retirement

From: "Gene" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 16:41:57 -0400

Truly, things of beauty ...
Thanks for the updates. I bet it may help others in the restoration process.
Cheers
Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Richard Lindsay
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2013 4:30 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Rui Gigante; Neil Shannon
Subject: [Mg-t] More TD work, a.k.a. First day of retirement

Its the first day of my retirement and...wait for it...YES!  I got a call
this afternoon from the company asking about some data I processed!  No
escape!  However, I have had a good day in the garage.
Story follows;

A couple of days ago I wrote to you stating that I would probably rebuild
the '53 TD's fuel pump rather than replacing it - and that is what I have
done.  Here's how the pump looked on the car.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1030.JPG

Here's how it looked on the bench with the filter and the fuel chamber
removed.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1041.JPG

Here's a look at the non-return valve before any cleanup.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1042.JPG

Here are the valve parts (almost) ready for reassembly.  I say almost
because the valve disks still need to be cleaned.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1043.JPG

And here's the pump reassembled with new gaskets, the contacts burnished,
and tested.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1044.JPG

It runs great and looks nice.

>From there I moved on to the next component to rebuild; the starter switch.
Here's how it looked while still on the car.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1050.JPG

Same switch on the bench, awaiting cleanup.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1051.JPG

Some fuel pump debris is still on the bench.  All has since been cleaned up.
Here's a look at the switch, now cleaned up, refinished and tested.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1054.JPG

And finally, a look back at the car with the parts removed.  This picture is
my guide as to the correct placement / orientation of the various mounting
brackets.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1053.JPG

And that's it for now.  I like sharing the work and I know some of you
probably enjoy seeing the progress.  Please feel free to just hit 'delete'
is uninterested.

With kind regards,

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Sonny Surles <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 22:33:10 -0400 (EDT)

This is encouragement for many of us.  Thanks for sharing, terrific!

Sonny

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
To: mgs <[email-masked]>; mg-t <[email-masked]>; Rui Gigante
<[email-masked]>; Neil Shannon <[email-masked]>
Sent: Mon, Apr 1, 2013 4:30 pm
Subject: [Mg-t] More TD work, a.k.a. First day of retirement

Its the first day of my retirement and...wait for it...YES!  I got a
call this afternoon from the company asking about some data I
processed!  No escape!  However, I have had a good day in the garage.
Story follows;

A couple of days ago I wrote to you stating that I would probably
rebuild the '53 TD's fuel pump rather than replacing it - and that is
what I have done.  Here's how the pump looked on the car.

And here's the pump reassembled with new gaskets, the contacts
burnished, and tested.

>From there I moved on to the next component to rebuild; the starter
switch.  Here's how it looked while still on the car.

Some fuel pump debris is still on the bench.  All has since been
cleaned up.  Here's a look at the switch, now cleaned up, refinished
and tested.

And finally, a look back at the car with the parts removed.  This
picture is my guide as to the correct placement / orientation of the
various mounting brackets.

And that's it for now.  I like sharing the work and I know some of you
probably enjoy seeing the progress.  Please feel free to just hit
'delete' is uninterested.

With kind regards,

-rick

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]