Subject: [Mg-t] Thank you again. Even better than expected!

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 11:01:14 -0500

Hello Friends,

This note is intended to share a technique and to thank Mr. Bud K.,
who once again had the right answer!

Earlier I posted a picture (or twelve) of the tach and speedo
cleanups.  If interested, you might remember that I painted the inner
trim rings brown, resulting in this appearance.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1066.JPG

While some might argue that the look is 'attractive' or perhaps just
'acceptable', Mr. K wrote, "...it just won't look right." and that
prompted me to take his sage advice and rework the gauges.

Bud recommended a Valspar paint from Lowe's but the only option they
offered me was a QUART of flat latex in the color recommended.
Nothing in spray can format.  Instead, I took a color sample card to
my neighborhood Ace Hardware (  a.k.a. my generic autoparts store. :-P
 ) and had a half-pint 'sample' mixed in a nearly-perfect match to the
Lowe's color.  The little can of paint was mixed in egg-shell so its a
soft semi-gloss.  With this paint, I applied the base-coat to the trim
rings.

After a night of drying I took the rings out into the driveway and
gave them a very light dusting of aluminum spray paint over the
teal-green - just to add that metallic luster found on the gauge
faces.  When sprayed from about half a meter away, in short bursts,
here's how the rings looked.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130420_100130.jpg

And here's how the trim rings look re-installed in the gauges.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130420_100506.jpg

Bud was right - again.  I think they look just fantastic.  His color
and the light dusting of aluminum made for an excellent match.
Thanks everyone!

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bud Krueger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 12:33:34 -0400

Thank you for the kudos, Richard.  Your dusting of aluminum spray was a 
great idea to tone down the green.

Bud
Richard Lindsay wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]

[email-masked]