Subject: [Mg-t] tank straps, spare carrier, seat back mount

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 17:40:38 -0500

Hi Friends,

Today I did a little work in the garage.  Specifically, I refinished
the spare tire carrier and the fuel tank straps.  That said,
'refinished' is a little too strong.  The bits have been stripped of
paint and rust, and primered awaiting paint.  I also worked on the
seat back attachments from the inner rear fenders.  Yes, they are
supposed to be chrome but the chrome is trashed.  Therefore, I
stripped and primered them.  I can always replace these with new
chrome units.

As a reminder, here's how the spare carrier and tank straps looked,
just after removing the spare.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1174.JPG

Once removed and on the workbench, the paint was stripped.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130430_142757.jpg

And here's how it looks after the paint was stripped, the rust sanded
away and a nice coat of primer added.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130502_165920.jpg

The clamp-mounts at the bottom have been cleaned and the bolts
freshened.  The wheel mounting studs are wrapped with masking tape.
The license plate lamp wiring has not been replaced but is in hand, as
is a new plate lamp assembly.  Some PO had installed an aftermarket
light.  That unit is now in the trash.  Once the spare tire frame is
painted, I'll pull in the new wiring and mount the lamp.

Here's a look at the fuel tank straps.  One has been primered, the
other stripped, sanded and ready for primer.  The threaded studs on
the bottom ends have had their threads cleaned and new nuts are now
spun on, awaiting reassembly.  And yes, one stud is bent.  I'll decide
later if its worth the risk of breaking, to straighten it.

Here's the final picture for today.  Its of the seat back attachments
on the rear inner wheel wells.  When I took the picture, the primer
was still wet.  These bits were chromed but the chrome was flaking off
with lots of rust.  After cleaning the brackets on the wire wheel, I
primered them in anticipation of painting either gloss or wrinkle
black.  I may change them out for new chrome units but for now, they
will be fresh and attractive.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130502_161826.jpg

And that concludes today's work.

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive