Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Mg-t Digest, Vol 7, Issue 61

From: Glenn Schnittke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 09:50:05 -0600

On the subject of pulling old bolts when you REALLY don't want to 
destroy things, try a solution of 50% ATF and 50% acetone. Shake it till 
it's pink and brush it on. It's the best penetrating oil I've found. 
I've had fasteners that wouldn't give up to it, but very few. As with 
any other penetrating oil, let soak until you get movement in either 
direction, let soak some more. If you've got movement in either 
direction, the thread WILL give way unless something is horribly wrong.

How you take things apart has a direct bearing on how they get put back 
together again. I know it's old wisdom, but it bears repeating.

Glenn

On 5/17/2013 12:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Hello Friends,
>
> I've removed the floor boards from my '53 TD, mostly by drilling out
> the heads of the bolts!  The new boards will be either re-drilled to
> use new holes in the supports, or the the old rusty screws will be
> drilled out and re-tapped.  But I'm not there yet.  However, its time
> to start pulling the tub bolts.  The first one was a nightmare and is
> going to have to be cut off.  I don't expect the next five to be any
> easier.  I do have to admit that there is light at the end of the
> tub-removal-tunnel.
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 14:06:48 -0500

Hi Glenn,

You wrote,

> On the subject of pulling old bolts when you REALLY don't want to destroy
> things, try a solution of 50% ATF and 50% acetone... If you've got movement
> in either direction, the thread WILL give way unless something is horribly wrong.

Thanks for the advice Glenn.  I doubt that ANY magic solution would
address this level of rust damage.  See attached.

> together again. I know it's old wisdom, but it bears repeating.

I don't know whether this is a statement of general philosophy or
admonishment of my work techniques.  I assure you, and I don't know
why, that anything original to this car that can be saved is being
saved.  However, a rusty, stretched bolt is going to get replaced,
independent of how it is removed.  Did I misread your intent?

-rick
attachment

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of rusty_bolt.jpg]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]