Subject: [Mg-t] Electric fan

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 12:10:16 -0500

Hello Friends,

I live in the blast furnace known as 'summertime in Houston, Texas'.
Around here, old British cars suffer in the summer heat without a
little modern help.  To that end, I would like to add an electric fan
to my TD upon reassembly.  Those puppies can draw a lot of current so
matching the fan to the capacity of the electrical system will be
paramount.

Another question arises; Is there room to fit an electric pancake fan
between the radiator and the grill?  I could certainly fit one behind
the radiator if I omit the mechanical fan, but I would rather have the
electric fan out of sight.

What have you guys done, if anything?

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 18:01:06 GMT

TDs have large radiators for their size. Overheating, if engine and cooling
system are in good nick, is rare. My engine ran happily in Richmond VA for
years, then in Sarasota FL, both places in all seasons, and its temp gauge has
never hit 100.  That is with the standard fan, and 40-50% ethylene glycol
antifreeze.  Some TD owners have installed the plastic fan used on MGBs. It is
said to be a direct bolt-on, though I have not tried it.  You may not need an
electric fan.Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mg-t] Electric fan
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 12:10:16 -0500

Hello Friends,

-rick

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Stuart Keen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 14:20:56 -0400

I can vouch for the fact that the 7 blade plastic MGB fan is a direct
replacement. I installed one about 10 years ago and have been contented with
the radiator9s performance ever since. It is much lighter and therefore
possibly less wear and tear on bearings, bushings etc. The only problem is
that it9s Bright Yellow! My TD (MKII) runs all over Florida in peak summer
(ambient 95+ deg F) and the water rarely exceeds 87 dg C. The only time it
has exceeded that was ten years ago driving across the Mojave Desert in
October. The ambient temperature in the shade was 110 deg F, and the TD9s
water exceeded 100 deg C (boiling) - resulting in a hole in #2 piston.

Stu Keen
1951 MG TD Mk II

[email-masked]