Subject: [Mg-t] XPAG valve clearance

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 10:53:46 -0500

Hi Friends,

Please share your thoughts on valve clearance of a cold XPAG/TD2 engine.
 In short, what I am wondering is what clearance I should use on a freshly
rebuilt engine, to get it hot enough to do a proper HOT engine valve
clearance setting.  I believe the hot clearance on the later engines is
0.012" so I'm guessing that 0.018" or so cold, would be fine for the
initial warm-up.  I'd much rather suffer valve chatter for a few minutes,
than have the clearance close up due to linear expansion.  Your thoughts?

-rick

PS: No, I'm nowhere near that point.  Its just a question dancing around in
my scattered mind this morning...
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 01:17:01 GMT

Hi Rick,
   If you know with certainty that the camshaft in the engine is original, its
safe to set clearances as directed by MG. if you are not certain which, of
several once-available cams it is, then identifying it will be necessary.
   The .019 clearance for the earlier cam is plenty loose, so you can set that
cold then adjust again hot. The .012 for the later cam could, one supposes, be
set a thou or two loose initially, then adjusted hot, though I can't recall
anyone doing that.
   Mine is a Crane cam that was so noisy that i called Crane. The engineer
said that the instruction clearance was for hard running and racing, and to
use smaller clearances for normal driving.  I forget what they are, but can
look them up for you if needed.
   Some do the first start with only one spring per valve.
Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mg-t] XPAG valve clearance
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 10:53:46 -0500

Hi Friends,

-rick

[email-masked]

[email-masked]