Subject: [Mg-t] Tub lift comments and request for your thoughts

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 09:44:12 -0500

Hi Friends,

We all know that the TD's tub doesn't weigh much but the 60-year-old
unit also not a rigid structure.  And my tub requires a couple of
timber replacements.  I'm at the point of lifting the tub and I'd like
to share an idea.

My car's tub timbers still need some repairs so the tub is not as
strong as a healthy unit.  Instead of lifting with ropes around the
tub, I believe that I will fit angle iron strips below the inner four
mount points, lifting the tub gently and just enough to fit the angle
iron under the metal body structure.  I can then bolt the tub to the
angle iron and lift the tub from four ropes attached to the angle
iron.  Doing so should avoid flexing the tub unnecessarily.  Perhaps
I'll also place a stiffener across each door opening, near the top,
just to avoid undue flex on the sills. I have a hoist in the garage so
I can lift the tub easily and safely after all that.

I encourage and appreciate any comments that you might have to offer.  Thanks.

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive