Subject: [Mg-t] A morning puttering in the garage

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 10:52:28 -0500

Hello Friends,

A few more words and pictures follow.

This morning I cleaned the propshaft tunnel in preparation for repairs
and paint.  Here's how it looked on the under-side after degreasing
and the zinc phosphate treatment.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130519_075011.jpg

You can see in that photo that the metal is rusted through in places,
at the bend.  The damage is not so bad as to need replacement of the
part, as this is not a structural piece.  I will repair it with
fiberglass, bonded with POR15 rather than epoxy - maybe.  Still
haven't decided.  In any case, the part will be repaired, not
replaced.

Here's how the tunnel looks from the top side, with a coat of POR15 on
the metal.  Once cured, I'll paint the underside similarly.  Then,
I'll make repairs.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130519_091106.jpg

The transmission cover is in the queue behind the propshaft tunnel.
It has no damage other than surface rust.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130519_091127.jpg

The brass clamping block for the handbrake cables has been cleaned and
refinished as well but I forgot to take a picture.  It is, however, in
another picture referenced later.

While the POR15 and engine paint were drying, I removed the air
cleaner.  I cleaned and painted the wing nut and forgot to photograph
it too.  Here is the air cleaner cover/element with the paint
stripped.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130519_082022.jpg

The paint came off with nothing more violent than lacquer thinner and
ScotchBrite.  Here's that same piece with a fresh coat of black paint
over primer.  The higher gloss is because the paint is still wet.
Sorry for the soft focus.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130519_090126.jpg

I then moved on to the air cleaner body.  Here it is still on the
engine.  I was pleased to see the clean oil in the filter.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130519_082746.jpg

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130519_082742.jpg

And on the workbench while being stripped.  Again, crappy focus.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130519_083709.jpg

Here's that same part with a coat of primer.  Despite the can resting
in the rear of the picture, this part is sprayed with conventional
engine primer.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130519_091023.jpg

Also in that picture you can see the hand brake cable block.  I left
the front shiny brass just for fun.

Finally, here are the parts of the air cleaner with the paint drying.
The top/element is dry so you can see the proper sheen of the paint.
The paint on the body of the filter is still wet.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130519_091729.jpg

That's it for this morning.  I may not get back to the garage this
afternoon.  Other home duties call.

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive