Subject: [Mg-t] Thermostat, cont.

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 12:04:56 -0500

Hello Friends,

I have given my TD's thermostat ample opportunity to impress me but
alas, it has thumbed its non-op nose at me.  I now look for other
options.  But until then, here are some pictures to document the
journey.

Here's how the thermostat looked back in May, right after removing the radiator.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130514_093939.jpg

Following the advice of the kind MG-T List members here, I soaked the
thermostat in vinegar for 12 hours or so and that removed A LOT of
corrosion.  Here's how it looked at the end of 12 hours, still in the
vinegar.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130615_075752.jpg

Obviously, a lot of crud came out of the unit!  After washing with
soap and warm water, this is how it looked (still a little damp).

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130615_080235.jpg

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130615_080243.jpg

I poured boiling water into the thermostat with it resting in a
plastic jar.  After that soak, and no obvious diaphragm movement, I
put the dried off unit in the freezer where it lived overnight.  Nancy
was not amused.  Here's how it looked fresh from the meat locker this
morning, but I could press the disk closed a little.  There was
movement.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130615_105540.jpg

Its now resting in boiling water again, and the diaphragm is open, as
it should be.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130615_112823.jpg

Obviously, crud is still coming out!

At this point, I think I am going to un-solder the diaphragm disk and
see of I can mechanically clean the movement.  I'm not above
disassembling the whole thing in the hopes of a repair.  Worst I can
do is trash it completely and either use a conventional element below
it or order a replacement at $130usd.  The best result might even
surprise even the doubters here. :-)

On another front, I visited my local Ace Hardware yesterday and bought
two rubber stoppers to fit in the fuel tank outlet and drain holes.  I
now need to make a blanking plate for the sender port.  Once all
that's done, I can add the Marine-Clean to the tank and start the
swamping-out process.

Starting next week, I will be visiting my great friend, Rui Gigante,
in Porto Portugal.  Rui is a Ferrari guy like me, but he also has an
M.G. addiction.  With a beautifully restored '60 MGA in the garage, he
has now turned his attention to a modified B-GT to use as a daily
driver.  That car started from totally-dead, just the way I like to
start projects.  :-P  There's great fun in bringing them back to life!
 I look forward to seeing all the progress he's made on that project -
and driving his 328GTS! :-P

And while totally OT, have any of you seen the new Alfa C4?  It looks
way-cool but for the same money, I think the Porsche Cayman is a
better deal: That's reliability speaking, not art.

Happy Saturday!

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive