Subject: [Mg-t] Thermostat replacement

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 09:36:22 -0500

Hello Friends,

My '53 M.G.TD's thermostat is stuck open.  Even after 12 hours soaking
in vinegar, soaking in hot water for a while, and a couple of hours in
the freezer (e.g. exercising through extremes) the thermostat
diaphragms do not move.  Yes, I can force the diaphragm a little
toward the shut position, after time in the freezer.  It feels like
the 'frozen' diaphragm mechanism is just corroded and stuck.

So the questions are:

1. Should I continue to try to exercise the diaphragm through
temperature extremes?

2. Should I gut the thermostat and use the 160 degree F, 2"
conventional unit between the angle fitting and the old thermostat?

3. Should I buy a new 'correct' thermostat?

Mind you, I am not building a show car, nor am I building a daily
driver.  I'm building a car to play with on the weekends when the
weather allows.

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive