Subject: [Mg-t] engine oil

From: Duvall Video Productions <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 13:37:34 -0500

Rick,   If your rebuilding your engine with new tappets or cam,  you need to
follow the manufacture's recommendation on break in procedures.   This seems
to entail mineral break in oil that contains the adequate chemical
formulations for ensuring proper hardness.

For example,  you might note Crane says the first 20 minutes is the critical
period, they then recommend (not require) mineral oil for the first 5000 miles
before switching to synthetic.  (no where do they say a ZDDP additive is
required)

CRANE FLAT TAPPET CAMSHAFT RECOMMENDED BREAK-IN PROCEDURE
Due to the EPAs mandate for zinc removal from most motor oils, proper flat
tappet camshaft break-in procedure
is more critical than ever before. This is true for both hydraulic and
mechanical flat tappet Camshafts. As a point of
interest, the most critical time in the life of a flat tappet camshaft is the
first 20 minutes of break-in during which the
bottoms of the tappets mate-in with the cam lobes.
There are some oils with additive packages that are better for camshaft
break-in. These include, but are not limited
to: (Brad Penn or Maxima) or a race only petroleum- based oil and include
Crane Cams Part # 99003-1
Super Lube additive. Do not use API rated SL or SM oil
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 13:57:38 -0500

<< On 6/17/2013 1:37 PM, Duvall Video Productions wrote:

(no where do they say a ZDDP additive is required)  >>

Because IIRC the Brad Penn ( along with Joe Gibbs Oils---3 time winner of Super Bowl ! ! ! ) IS/ARE
formulated WITH correct++ ZZDP in quantities required to protect our motors, Mike <G> ! !

This is also true with the 'new' Castrol GT 20/50 (which I use exclusively !).

For 'after-break-in' I do NOT recommend synthetics for general motor use.  Far TOO many leaks<G> !
Brits motors leak enough <G> !

Ed
Please visit MY site at:					www.justbrits.com
[50+ <sigh> years experience <G>]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 14:09:14 -0500

Thanks everyone, for the lubricant advice.  Of course, it is a more complex
issue than, "Always use XYZ."  When I get closer (in 3 months or so) I'll
ask again.  I have lots to consider now and lots of measurements to do yet!

-rick

[email-masked]