Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Household MG 'Tools'

From: Bob Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 10:57:08 -0400

A cel phone and AAA membership!  Seriously, CT MG Guru Bob Howard once
brandished a tool that I believe he got from Steve Wincze, to pull out the
broken remnant of the inevitable TD rear axle half-shaft breakdown. I thought
that was pretty nifty, perhaps others may have a drawing. Blessedly, I never
needed to see the thing again.Hurrah for Harbour Fright, as a model-builder,
their 'oft less-than-robust tools are perfect for my miniature needs.

Bob Mitchell'53 TD MKII'71 E-Type Series 2 OTS'87 Mercedes 560SL'05 Honda
S2000
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 09:31:53 -0500
> Subject: [Mg-t] Household MG 'Tools'
>
> This story starts with a trip to the dentist, doesn't every MG story start
> that way? For several years I have had a cheap set, Harbor Freight 6/$3.99
> dental picks in my box that have proved very handy for small things,
> especially rebuilding SU carbs and electrical components. So on a recent
> visit for a checkup I inquired of the young lady what they did with their
> old tools. She responded that they re-sharpen them if they can, then they
> are discarded. I asked if they had any old ones around and if I might have
a
> couple. Behold, when she gives my little bag with a new brush and floss
> there are a dozen used dental tools in it of all different sizes and
> thicknesses.
>
> I also keep a syringe(we have a goat that needs monthly shots) and one of
> those bulbs that they use to clean out newborn baby's noses in my toolbox.
> Very handy for sucking the last bit of fluid from the brake res, gas from
> the float bowl and adding just a little oil to the SU chamber tops.
>
> Would like to hear from the list what other 'Non-Tool tools' you have in
> your shop that have proved handy over the years. Things you don't find on
> the Snap-On truck.
>
> Open discussion,
>
> Bill
> ______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Douglas Ormrod <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 23:31:15 +0000

I have a selection of locking artery forceps from my days as a rat surgeon.
All sorts of uses - clamping off pipes, holding small nuts in tight  spaces,
fishing out small parts that have dropped into inaccessible places, holding
electrical cable while soldering - and especially pulling the pin-bones out of
salmon, I keep a separate pair for that! They take a lot of bending without
breaking,

Cheers

Douglas

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, 7 June 2013 2:32 a.m.
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Mg-t] Household MG 'Tools'

This story starts with a trip to the dentist, doesn't every MG story start
that way? For several years I have had a cheap set, Harbor Freight 6/$3.99
dental picks in my box that have proved very handy for small things,
especially rebuilding SU carbs and electrical components. So on a recent visit
for a checkup I inquired of the young lady what they did with their old tools.
She responded that they re-sharpen them if they can, then they are discarded.
I asked if they had any old ones around and if I might have a couple. Behold,
when she gives my little bag with a new brush and floss there are a dozen used
dental tools in it of all different sizes and thicknesses.

I also keep a syringe(we have a goat that needs monthly shots) and one of
those bulbs that they use to clean out newborn baby's noses in my toolbox.
Very handy for sucking the last bit of fluid from the brake res, gas from the
float bowl and adding just a little oil to the SU chamber tops.

Would like to hear from the list what other 'Non-Tool tools' you have in your
shop that have proved handy over the years. Things you don't find on the
Snap-On truck.

Open discussion,

Bill

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 21:07:04 -0400 (EDT)

On the MGB's the later ones in particular, the headlamp ring is nearly
impossible to remove with most tools. In the shop one found that the bottle
opener/paint can lid opener from the hardware store hooks the rim and having a
ring for the finger to fit through you can gently pry a stuck rim off with out
damage.

Jon Nyhus

-----Original Message-----
From: Douglas Ormrod <[email-masked]>
To: mg-t <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri, Jun 7, 2013 5:26 pm
Subject: [Mg-t]  Household MG 'Tools'

electrical cable while soldering - and especially pulling the pin-bones out
of

Cheers

Douglas

-----Original Message-----

This story starts with a trip to the dentist, doesn't every MG story start
that way? For several years I have had a cheap set, Harbor Freight 6/$3.99
dental picks in my box that have proved very handy for small things,
especially rebuilding SU carbs and electrical components. So on a recent
visit
for a checkup I inquired of the young lady what they did with their old
tools.
She responded that they re-sharpen them if they can, then they are discarded.
I asked if they had any old ones around and if I might have a couple. Behold,
when she gives my little bag with a new brush and floss there are a dozen
used
dental tools in it of all different sizes and thicknesses.

Open discussion,

Bill

[email-masked]

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]