Subject: [Mg-t] 165 vs 180 thermostat

From: Duvall Video Productions <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 18:07:52 -0500

The original style thermostat stuck closed in my TD.   I discovered a 52 mm
thermostat fits between the original housing and the curved pipe going into
the engine.   I found a NAPA THM 185 fits well and opens at 180 degrees (82
celcius).

It seems to operate well- the gauge sits on the low end until the thermostat
opens and then shoots up- eventually it reaches temp and stays there.   It has
a jiggle pin to let a little coolant and air through and I blocked off the
bypass.

I have since found a 160 degree as well ( Triton  TT6-160  and Dayton DT15C. )
that might fit.

Anyone know the original thermostat temp and what does everyone run?   Can you
tell the difference between a 160 and 180 from a running or comfort
standpoint?
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 00:56:46 GMT

75C was the original stat, which I believe is 160F..
  Many prefer to run the engines at higher temps. My MGB is happy with a 190
stat, year round.
  It is thought that the 160 stat was warm enough for adequate engine
operation, and low enough to keep alcohol antifreeze evaporation at acceptable
amounts. As ethylene glycol antifreeze became the norm, stat temps increased.
   In 25F weather, or colder, the 75C stat may never open. The gauge is likely
to indicate 60 or so. In cold weather, I cover the bottom part of the radiator
slats with a canvas, adjusting to to raise the gauge to 75.

Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Duvall Video Productions <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mg-t] 165 vs 180 thermostat
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 18:07:52 -0500

It seems to operate well- the gauge sits on the low end until the thermostat
opens and then shoots up- eventually it reaches temp and stays there.   It
has
a jiggle pin to let a little coolant and air through and I blocked off the
bypass.

I have since found a 160 degree as well ( Triton  TT6-160  and Dayton DT15C.
)
that might fit.

Anyone know the original thermostat temp and what does everyone run?   Can
you
tell the difference between a 160 and 180 from a running or comfort
standpoint?
______________________________________________

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: John Seim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 06:02:26 -0700

The 160 degree thermostat would be closer to factory original.
If you have a heater for your car, you might want the 185 thermostat.

The original bellows type would close off the by-pass opening, as the
thermostat would open. You could block off the by-pass, or make a metal
piece that fits between the housing and the by-pass elbow, with a small
hole for water to pass through. That would duplicate the operation of the
by-pass as to water flow, with the thermostat open.

John Seim
Irvine, CA

has
)
you
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]