Subject: [Mg-t] oil

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 06:30:16 -0500

Hello Friends,

I'm sure oil threads cause as much hate-n-discontent here as on any other
List, so I write with a degree of trepidation.  Actually, I seek only your
opinion, not science.  Please share yours.

As I ponder the reassembly if my '53 TD2, I am considering fluids.  For the
rack, gearbox and diff, I believe the consensus is #90 hypoid oil.  I've
always found that an interesting way to say "oil with a very high film tear
strength suitable for hypoid gear mating."  Redline is probably my
brand-of-choice but I'm open to suggestion.

Engine oil is another matter all together.  Since this will be a full
rebuild with new bearings and new rings in freshly honed cylinders, I need
an oil that will lubricate properly and promote bedding-in.

I live in a climate where the temperature extremes are 50F-90F, for any day
when the car might be used.  And I believe the workshop manual recommends
straight 30-weight oil.  For this temperature range, that sounds about
right.  In later M.G.s I've always used Castrol GTX (20w50).

For the break-in / bedding-in period, would you use straight #30 mineral
oil?  Detergent or non-detergent?And after the break-in period, the same
specification (fresh) oil?

Sharing your opinions and experiences would be appreciated.  Thank you.

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive