Subject: [Mg-t] Back wrenching on the TD

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 14:53:30 -0500

Hi Friends,

As intended, I spent a little time in the garage today.  Its uber-hot
here in south Texas so one can only work in short stints in an un-air
conditioned garage.  Fortunately, I have a huge fan that I keep on me
(except when painting) and work (almost) with a water bottle in one
hand.

So today's update is small.  I started by loading the rear wheels into
the SUV along with the left front wheel.  (The rest later...)  I'm
taking them to my neighborhood shop to be broken down so I can take
the wheels to be media blasted.  They're lots easier to store w/o the
tires mounted.  That's all of little interest right now so I have no
pictures.

What I do have a couple of pictures of is the left front suspension.
Here's how it looks as it sets today.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1324.JPG

Here's close-up of the left tie-rod end.  Its a safe bet that these
guys haven't been replaced in a l_o_n_g time.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1323.JPG

Fortunately, I have a full front suspension and steering rebuild kit.
(Thanks Bill!)

With no overall direction in mind (see note), I next chose to clean up
the wood that forms the top of the side-curtain box.  I took these
pictures just to remind me how the factory wrapped the upholstery onto
the wood.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1325.JPG

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1326.JPG

I didn't take a picture after I melted away the old cement (with
lacquer thinner) and sanded the wood clean.  I'll do so later.

I then moved on to the two radiator stay bars.  I removed them, sanded
away the rust and degreased the un-rusty bits, then cleaned the ends
on the wire wheel.  I then primered them and painted them gloss black.
 Here is a picture of the bars with the paint drying.  This has to be
one of the most boring pictures yet posted. :-P

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1327.JPG

The reason for the tags is obvious.

I think I'm done for today.  Its 34C ( 93F ) with typical south Texas
humidity, in the garage and I just don't want any more of that right
now.

Happy Saturday,

-rick

Note: The "...no overall direction in mind..." line is a double salute
to "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" and "Willard and the
Bowling Trophies."
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive