Subject: [Mg-t] Gear Shift Lever

From: "Gable, Gerry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 19:56:18 +0000

I am removing my engine on my TC to clean it up and paint it.  I started to
take off the gear shifter and it seems to have more springs and washers in it
than noted in any diagram I can find. Does anyone have the correct
configuration for putting it back together?  Further, I have not been
successful in removing the two pins that hold it In place.  Is there a secret
technique to removing them?
Thanks
Gerry
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Lawrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 13:25:46 -0700

Gerry,

The pins are held in by the metal at their outer ends having been peened 
over, so file or grind this away till you can clearly see all of the 
diameter of the pin. Next, take an old punch and grind two sides flat to 
the width of the groove in the ball of the lever where the pins locate 
the lever. Then grind the punch to a gradual taper. Push the lever to 
one side, insert the modified punch in the groove under the head of the 
pin and hammer downwards. This will drive the pin out. Repeat on the 
other side.

When re-installing the lever, tap the pins back in and seal their ends 
with a small blob of JB Weld.

Lawrie

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: BOB GRUNAU <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 08:28:47 -0400 FILETIME=[24E2E370:01CE7BD6]

note, you only need to remove one pin, the lever will then come out.
I tap the pin hole 1/4" ,  ( BSF, NF, NC all work OK ) , and install a bolt
with the inner end tip machined down to pin diameter where it enters the
gear lever.
Bob,  Canada

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Lawrie
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 4:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Gear Shift Lever

Gerry,

Lawrie

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Gable, Gerry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 12:27:37 +0000

Thanks Bob,
Your suggestion and solution seems to be the best.
Have a great day,
Gerry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of BOB GRUNAU
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2013 8:29 AM
To: Lawrie; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Gear Shift Lever

note, you only need to remove one pin, the lever will then come out.
I tap the pin hole 1/4" ,  ( BSF, NF, NC all work OK ) , and install a bolt
with the inner end tip machined down to pin diameter where it enters the gear
lever.
Bob,  Canada

-----Original Message-----

Gerry,

The pins are held in by the metal at their outer ends having been peened over,
so file or grind this away till you can clearly see all of the diameter of the
pin. Next, take an old punch and grind two sides flat to the width of the
groove in the ball of the lever where the pins locate the lever. Then grind
the punch to a gradual taper. Push the lever to one side, insert the modified
punch in the groove under the head of the pin and hammer downwards. This will
drive the pin out. Repeat on the other side.

When re-installing the lever, tap the pins back in and seal their ends with a
small blob of JB Weld.

Lawrie

> I am removing my engine on my TC to clean it up and paint it.  I
> started
to
> take off the gear shifter and it seems to have more springs and
> washers in
it
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual donation
> $11.47

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

[email-masked]