Subject: [Mg-t] TD work planning

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 12:41:49 -0500

Hello Friends,

Planning today.  First up is moving back to the tub.  The wings,
running boards and valances are no-brainers but the tub still needs
work.  Let me explain.

The rear of the tub is just fine.  Here it is with primer on the
metal, and a light coat of primer on the wood.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130509_093433.jpg

The metal and wood on the right side sill is sound but all the wood is
dry.  I soaked the wood on this side with multiple wet coats of
Minwax's Wood Hardener, following the maker's instructions.  Doing so
saturated the wood and hardened it beautifully.  I followed that work
with wood filler in the divots, just to make the surfaces even again.
Here's a look at the sill with the cured wood filler in place but not
yet sanded smooth.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1328.JPG

The metal behind the passenger seat is sound.  The metal behind the
driver's seat has a small rusted through hole.  This area will be
repaired before reassembly begins.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1329.JPG

The right side of the sill is another story.  The metal is sound but
the wood needs replacement.  I've already purchased the new timbers
and will install them in the next week or so.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1330.JPG

The cowl wood has a few divots around the rear attachment point for
the bonnet.  I still need to infill these divots with wood filler so I
can attach the rubber trim smoothly across this area.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1331.JPG

Here are a couple of pictures of the front end of the tub, still
needing cleaning and primering.    The battery area cries out for a
new battery box.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1332.JPG

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1333.JPG

The tool box needs to be cleaned and refitted with light tan felt.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1334.JPG

And while still in the garage, I took a picture of the pedal shaft and
pedal box.  This area needs a full restoration.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1335.JPG

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1337.JPG

I continue to plan...

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive