Subject: [Mg-t] lifter chest cover and generator

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:32:45 -0500

Hello Friends,

I continue to work on the bits that I have removed from the TD's
engine.  I'd go ahead and pull it from the car but part of my engine
stand is still attached to my friends Lotus-Ford TwinCam - and he's in
Europe for another week or so.  Ergo, I work on the things that are
easy to take off and refurbish.

Today, I stripped the paint - again, at least two layers - from the
lifter  box cover and vent pipe.  And although I did not take a
picture of the pipe and clamp, they too are refinished.  Here's a look
at the cover.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130726_095210.jpg

In between cleaning, primering, painting and snapping pictures, I
disassembled the generator.  The brushes are in great shape, being
16mm or so long!  Springs behind brushes feel strong too.  The
commutator cleaned up with a gentle wipe with ScotchBrite, showing no
wear at all, and all the shafts and bushings look and feel undamaged.
So after degreasing and stripping away the old flaky paint, I primered
and painted these parts too.  Here they are drying on my paint stand
(a.k.a. garbage can covered with an old shower curtain).

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130726_120732.jpg

After cleaning up the tachometer gear reducer, I decided not to paint
it.  I suspect that it was originally left bare metal.  I'll give it a
good blast of lubricant and install it, as is.  Here's how it looks
now.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130726_120745.jpg

So, I'm back inside cooling off and drinking copious quantities of
water.  I expect to assemble the generator and give it a bench test,
later this afternoon.  I'll then put some of these reconditioned parts
away safely, then call it a day.

Tomorrow?  Perhaps the starter.

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:57:49 -0500

<< On 7/26/2013 12:32 PM, Richard Lindsay wrote:

I'll give it a good blast of lubricant and install it, as is.  >>

Graphite please (ONLY).

<< Here's how it looks now.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130726_120745.jpg   >>

Over-resolutioned pic is only 1/2 there, Rick.  Better RE-TAKE <G> @! !

Ed
Please visit MY site at:				www.justbrits.com
______________________________________________

[email-masked]