Subject: [Mg-t] Winny The Poo is out of the Honey Tree

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 10:38:32 -0500

Hello Friends,

The new valve compressor works great but even it needs to have the
valve springs given a good whack first!

Now the Honey Tree news:  #2 valve, the one actuated by the broken
pushrod, was stuck firmly in the guide.  I had soaked it nicely with
penetrating oil, then the valve came out - with some tapping.  The
valve stem and inside the guide, were coated in gum and carbon.  It
seems that the valve just wasn't getting lubricated OR the valve stem
is bent OR there was so much slop in the guide that exhaust blew into
the gap.  Diagnosis to follow.  Here's how the head looks now.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1372.JPG

I'll get it into a thorough clean up shortly but first, I'll degrease
the springs and associated bits, and clean up the valves on the wire
wheel.  Right now, they live in numbered ZipLoc freezer bags.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1373.JPG

Once everything is clean I will insert each valve and measure the
guide wear.  I didn't get a picture today, but the valves and valve
seats look healthy.  I'll next lap the valves onto the seats and make
further assessments.

I called the media-blast guy this morning.  We expect more rain today
so we're delaying the soda blasting until tomorrow when its dry.  That
way we avoid flash-rust from the high humidity.  I'll paint the wheels
Tuesday and get the tires mounted Wednesday.

Happy Monday,

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive