Subject: [Mg-t] Oil shields on XPAG valves

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 08:34:30 -0500

Hello Friends,

While the primer is curing on my TD's wheels, I went back to the
engine.  This morning I cleaned the oil shields (can't remember what
the manual calls them) and took a picture to illustrate the
differences in them.  Here it is.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1376.JPG

My question is: Are these a mixture of parts that some previous
rebuilder pulled from his M.G. parts bin, or did M.G. mix up parts
from this '53 XPAG with parts for the new 1500cc engine, being built
the same year?  I know Jaguar used new style parts on previous
generation motors as that line finished, and visa versa.  Some new
engines got the left-overs from the previous runs - all when on the
cusp of  a change.  The more important question is: Should I reuse
these parts or buy a few replacements?  Or buy a whole new set?  The
budget is already strained...

Thanks, as always,

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Ulla & Sven Ordell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 17:11:10 +0200

Hello Richard
I suggest you do away with the original type oil shields and use modern top
hat type shields instead. Others will surely have opinions.

Happy your rebuild proceeds and good luck
Sven
TC in Sweden

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Fren: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Fvr
Richard Lindsay
Skickat: den 24 juli 2013 15:35
Till: [email-masked]
Dmne: [Mg-t] Oil shields on XPAG valves

Hello Friends,

While the primer is curing on my TD's wheels, I went back to the engine.
This morning I cleaned the oil shields (can't remember what the manual calls
them) and took a picture to illustrate the differences in them.  Here it is.

My question is: Are these a mixture of parts that some previous rebuilder
pulled from his M.G. parts bin, or did M.G. mix up parts from this '53 XPAG
with parts for the new 1500cc engine, being built the same year?  I know
Jaguar used new style parts on previous generation motors as that line
finished, and visa versa.  Some new engines got the left-overs from the
previous runs - all when on the cusp of  a change.  The more important
question is: Should I reuse these parts or buy a few replacements?  Or buy a
whole new set?  The budget is already strained...

Thanks, as always,

-rick

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]