Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Installing head

From: "Bill Traill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 16:47:55 -0700

Rick,

Yes...use a light-type general purpose grease and a very thin 
coating; a thin coating as grease is incompressible and blobs and 
gobs may keep the head from seating 100%.  This will help the gasket 
ease into it's new life. 

Also, clean the studs so no detritus is scraped off to fall under the 
gasket and create a pocket. Clean all block and head surfaces to 
metal. Check the studs by pinching with thumb and finger full length 
to see if the studs are stretching (especially the threads). I am 
sure your TD has had the head replaced many times over the years and 
the studs don't last forever.

Bill Traill
Santa Clara, California
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Clive Sherriff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 10:07:32 +0100

That's right, and also don't forget to then run the engine for 15 minutes, 
let it cool, then tighten down the head again once the grease has evened out 
and the gasket has settled for the first time. Do tighten again after about 
a hundred or so miles too.

Clive
Oxford, UK.
= ================================
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bill Traill" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2013 12:47 AM
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Installing head

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]

[email-masked]