Subject: [Mg-t] Gearbox 'remote control'

From: Rick Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 09:17:05 -0400

Hello Friends,

I have never rebuilt a gearbox, nor have I ever even opened one. I have flushed them with clean oil and refilled them, but cracking them open is scary.

Today I realize that I should remove, clean, lubricate and reinstall the TD's gearbox 'remote control'. I have read the workshop manual, and have studied the manual's exploded diagrams, and I thought I understood the removal procedure. Hummm.

My TD is a very late '53 model and the manual says to simply remove the four bolts securing the remote control to the gearbox and lift the assembly away, then cover the open wound in the gearbox with a cardboard cover. Simple, eh? And being a late car, there is no risk of pesky ball falling down into the gearbox entrails. B 

So with the gearbox in neutral, I followed the manual's procedure. However, the remote control's business end appears to be attached within the gearbox! What's up with that? Is it that the ball-end of the selector is stuck in a receptor requiring a little 'pull' to free it, or is there a paragraph missing from the manual, or am I just doing something wrong? Expiring minds want to know.B 

All advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

-rick, in Houston
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII - the rectangle with rounded corners, just like a BlackBerry.
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: John Seim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 06:26:31 -0700

The 3rd-4th shift rod is longer, than earlier models.
Shift the transmission into 4th. That moves the rod forward, and places the
shift pin at the rear of its travel.

John Seim
Irvine, CA

On Aug 19, 2013, at 6:17 AM, Rick Lindsay wrote:

> Hello Friends,
>
> I have never rebuilt a gearbox, nor have I ever even opened one. I have
flushed them with clean oil and refilled them, but cracking them open is
scary.
>
> Today I realize that I should remove, clean, lubricate and reinstall the
TD's gearbox 'remote control'. I have read the workshop manual, and have
studied the manual's exploded diagrams, and I thought I understood the removal
procedure. Hummm.
>
> My TD is a very late '53 model and the manual says to simply remove the four
bolts securing the remote control to the gearbox and lift the assembly away,
then cover the open wound in the gearbox with a cardboard cover. Simple, eh?
And being a late car, there is no risk of pesky ball falling down into the
gearbox entrails. B
>
> So with the gearbox in neutral, I followed the manual's procedure. However,
the remote control's business end appears to be attached within the gearbox!
What's up with that? Is it that the ball-end of the selector is stuck in a
receptor requiring a little 'pull' to free it, or is there a paragraph missing
from the manual, or am I just doing something wrong? Expiring minds want to
know.B
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]