Subject: [Mg-t] Starter rebuild...

From: Rick Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 16:00:58 -0500

Hi Friends,

My '53 TD's M35G starter rebuild is almost complete. B Everything is clean and lubricated, where appropriate. B Bushes are just fine, oil soaked and their journals are smooth.

What I did discover is that the brass terminal post is not soldered to the field windings! B The two flat conductors from the field, were just pinched into the slot in the inner end of the post. B They were quite grimey at the contact point, so they've been like this for quite a while.

Reviewing the workshop manual today, I see that the flat conductors should be (apparently) soldered to the post. B Can you verify that is correct? B Considering the current drawn, I can't imagine that a simple press-fit connection is valid - but I could be wrong. B Your thoughts?

-rick

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII - the rectangle with rounded corners, just like a BlackBerry.
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: John Seim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 14:18:20 -0700

Chances are, you have aluminum replacement coils in your starter.
Originally, the brushes were crimped to the aluminum, as you cannot solder
them. Might have been spot welded. When brushes need to be replaced,
and the field coil is made of aluminum, best to replace the field coils with
those made of copper.

John Seim
Irvine, CA

On Aug 6, 2013, at 2:00 PM, Rick Lindsay wrote:

> Hi Friends,
>
> My '53 TD's M35G starter rebuild is almost complete. B Everything is clean
and lubricated, where appropriate. B Bushes are just fine, oil soaked and
their journals are smooth.
>
> What I did discover is that the brass terminal post is not soldered to the
field windings! B The two flat conductors from the field, were just pinched
into the slot in the inner end of the post. B They were quite grimey at the
contact point, so they've been like this for quite a while.
>
> Reviewing the workshop manual today, I see that the flat conductors should
be (apparently) soldered to the post. B Can you verify that is correct? B
Considering the current drawn, I can't imagine that a simple press-fit
connection is valid - but I could be wrong. B Your thoughts?
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 16:20:15 -0500

Hi John. B Thanks. B They may be aluminum. B If so, I understand the problem. B Thanks.

-rick

-------- Original message --------
From: John Seim <[email-masked]> 
Date: 08/06/2013  4:18 PM  (GMT-06:00) 
To: Rick Lindsay <[email-masked]> 
Cc: [email-masked],[email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Starter rebuild... 

John Seim
Irvine, CA

On Aug 6, 2013, at 2:00 PM, Rick Lindsay wrote:

> Suggested annual donationB  $11.47
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]

[email-masked]