Subject: [Mg-t] Just because...

From: Rick Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:23:48 -0500

...a part came off in a certain orientation doesn't mean it is correct! PO's (and Os) do many things incorrectly - self included.B 

Quick question for the XPAG gurus:

The oil line from the block up to the head has a tap on one of the banjos for the gauge. A parts diagram that I have seen shows that tap on the upper banjo, the one at the head. When I got it, my engine had the tap at the bottom, at the block. I reinstalled it that way but the new flexible oil line appears too short. I haven't offered it up yet but I am concerned.B 

Please tell me which end of the line should be at the head; the banjo with the gauge tap, or the one without it.

Thank you!

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: John Seim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 06:44:05 -0700

The banjo without the gauge tap should be at the head.
Early TD engines had the oil line without any gauge tap. One of the banjo
bolts had the gauge tap, and that was installed into the head position.
Wanting a truer oil pressure reading, they decided to take the reading from
the block.

Check the banjo bolt fittings, to see if they have been filled in with solder.
Many shops, not understanding that it was a worn rocker arm assembly, would
either fill the banjo bolt with solder, and then redrill a small oil passage
into it, or crimp the oil line between the block and the head, or, in one
case, they placed a plug into the cylinder head hole.

John Seim
Irvine, CA

On Sep 26, 2013, at 6:23 AM, Rick Lindsay wrote:

> ...a part came off in a certain orientation doesn't mean it is correct! PO's
(and Os) do many things incorrectly - self included.B
> The oil line from the block up to the head has a tap on one of the banjos
for the gauge. A parts diagram that I have seen shows that tap on the upper
banjo, the one at the head. When I got it, my engine had the tap at the
bottom, at the block. I reinstalled it that way but the new flexible oil line
appears too short. I haven't offered it up yet but I am concerned.B
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:55:40 -0500

Good insight and history John. Thank you. When I cleaned the line it seemed rather congested with something, although nothing 'solid' came out. With repeated application of solvent, the line flowed liquid just fine. Cleaned the banjo bolts the same way. Perhaps I just didn't get the squirt nozzle in properly at first.

-rick

-------- Original message --------
From: John Seim <[email-masked]> 
Date: 09/26/2013  8:44 AM  (GMT-06:00) 
To: Rick Lindsay <[email-masked]> 
Cc: [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Just because... 
 
The banjo without the gauge tap should be at the head.
Early TD engines had the oil line without any gauge tap. One of the banjo bolts had the gauge tap, and that was installed into the head position.
Wanting a truer oil pressure reading, they decided to take the reading from the block.

Check the banjo bolt fittings, to see if they have been filled in with solder. Many shops, not understanding that it was a worn rocker arm assembly, would either fill the banjo bolt with solder, and then redrill a small oil passage into it, or crimp the oil line between the block and the head, or, in one case, they placed a plug into the cylinder head hole. 

John Seim
Irvine, CA

On Sep 26, 2013, at 6:23 AM, Rick Lindsay wrote:

> Suggested annual donationB  $11.47
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: BOB GRUNAU <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 10:03:30 -0400 FILETIME=[758746D0:01CEBAC0]

Rick,
oil gauge line connects to the BOTTOM of the oil feed to the head. There is
about 10 psi lower oil pressure reading at thre gauge if connected to the
top, at the head. I guess this is due to restriction in the head feed pipe
or pressure loss through the rockers.
In any case, use the bottom connection which essentially reads oil gallery
pressure in the block.  Makes you feel better to see good oil pressure.
Move the oil feed brass junction fitting lower down to get the flex line to
reach the lower end of the oil feed to head.  I think it lives beside the
battery?
Bob, Canada

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Rick Lindsay
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:24 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mg-t] Just because...

The oil line from the block up to the head has a tap on one of the banjos
for the gauge. A parts diagram that I have seen shows that tap on the upper
banjo, the one at the head. When I got it, my engine had the tap at the
bottom, at the block. I reinstalled it that way but the new flexible oil
line appears too short. I haven't offered it up yet but I am concerned.B

Please tell me which end of the line should be at the head; the banjo with
the gauge tap, or the one without it.

Thank you!

-rick

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]