Subject: [Mg-t] TD update for Friday

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 16:13:54 -0500

Hello Friends,

A few more words and pictures of the TD restoration.

First of all, thanks go to Bob (mgbob) for spotting that I had
installed the fan blades backwards. He had reminded me of the correct
orientation earlier and in spite of that good advice, I still screwed
it up. Bob, it has now been corrected and here's the photographic
proof. Thank you.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130927_093004.jpg

After fixing the fan, I adjusted the valves to 0.015" clearance. (This
is a late TD2 XPAG.)  I then installed the distributor and set the
points to 0.015". With the engine at TDC on #1, I verified the correct
distributor rotor orientation then rotated the distributor until the
points were just breaking. A simple VOM made the setting easy. With
that done, I clamped the distributor in place, then marked #1 inside
of the distributor (with a Sharpie) and added the cap. Following that,
I verified that each of the plug gaps were at 0.022" and installed
them in the head. The plug threads were lubricated with copper infused
thread lube.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130927_111313.jpg

The plug wires are in a box at my storage unit. I need to retrieve
them and complete the ignition work.

With the engine adjustments completed, I rocked the engine back and
forth a few times to make sure it was sitting evenly balanced on the
motor mounts. I then carefully adjusted the stabilizer link without
disturbing the engine position. With the lock nuts tight, I put Carter
keys through the castle nuts and bent them securely.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130927_111411.jpg

Following are pictures from a few other operations, unrelated to the
time line. First of all, here's the valve cover with the cap now
chained to the cover.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130927_111426.jpg

Here's a look at the ground strap between the engine and the frame.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130927_111546.jpg

I connected the new oil gauge flex line to the engine and taped over
the other end, awaiting connection to the adapter next to the battery
tray.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130927_111456.jpg

Here's another look at the same area.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/20130927_111525.jpg

Memory is an ephemeral thing, especially when one is 62 years old! I
racked my brain trying to remember what was connected to that red tab
on the lifter box cover, obvious in the previous photo. Alas, I
couldn't remember so I went back to the early photographs.

Back in April, I took a picture that made me feel better, because
there was nothing connected to the tab. Here it is.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1245.JPG

The question still remains: What SHOULD be attached to that
tab...unless the answer is 'nothing' because its a residual left over
from an earlier XPAG implementation.

Happy Friday,

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive