Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Rack

From: John Seim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 05:57:22 -0700

Add oil. The damage is already done. Chances are, one, if not both tie rod
swivel ends
could be loose, from lack of lubrication. They can be rebuild, through
disassembly, and
changing some shim thickness. With the car raised up, and moving front and
back one
front wheel at a time, listen for a click, or clunk sound. If you hear one,
that side requires
rebuilding. I have rebuild them on many cars.

John Seim
Irvine, CA

On Sep 15, 2013, at 4:46 PM, Rick Lindsay wrote:

> Hello Friends,
>
> I seek knowledge. My '53 TD2's steering rack has been lubricated with
grease, instead if oil. Should I try to disassemble and clean it or stick with
the grease? Or add oil, thereby diluting the grease? This car will be used in
warm/hot weather only. Advice appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -rick
> ______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 09:41:33 -0500

While the wheels seem to be tight, I can grebe the tie rod and shake it to
hear, and feel, a click/clunk.  Ends appear to be tight at the wheel.  Does
the whole rack need to come out for rebuilding?  Is this a shim adjustment?
Is it OK, as is?

Thanks,
Bill 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of John Seim
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 7:57 AM
To: Rick Lindsay; MG-T Group
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Rack

Add oil. The damage is already done. Chances are, one, if not both tie rod
swivel ends could be loose, from lack of lubrication. They can be rebuild,
through disassembly, and changing some shim thickness. With the car raised
up, and moving front and back one front wheel at a time, listen for a click,
or clunk sound. If you hear one, that side requires rebuilding. I have
rebuild them on many cars.

John Seim
Irvine, CA

> I seek knowledge. My '53 TD2's steering rack has been lubricated with
grease, instead if oil. Should I try to disassemble and clean it or stick
with the grease? Or add oil, thereby diluting the grease? This car will be
used in warm/hot weather only. Advice appreciated.
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual donation  
> $11.47

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: John Seim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 07:47:04 -0700

It is a shim adjustment of the tie rod ball ends.
They are held to the steering rack, by a lock washer, that is peened
into the grooves of the ball sleeve. They are right handed, and unscrew
from the rack. Requires special service tools to properly open them up.

There is also a spring and plunger, under a cap, on the rack. Spring has
been in compression for 60+ years, so best to replace. Plunger is made
of brass, and is probably worn as well.

John Seim
Irvine, CA

[email-masked]