Subject: [Mg-t] new seal kit

From: Duvall Video Productions <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 14:19:10 -0500

Lawrie,  So exactly why can't the new tool be used to align the old housing?

After wasting over hundreds of dollars on the first kit,  getting poor tech
support and info from Moss,  I'm still doubtful I should shell out another
$300 to try it again when they can't properly answer questions about their own
product.

Mike

On Sep 22, 2013, at 1:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Ron,
>
> The 433-415 kit was superseded because it assumed the crankshaft was in
> the exact original location. Most engines, when rebuilt properly, have
> the main bearing saddles line-honed or even line-bored, which almost
> always slightly shifts the position of the crankshaft. The 433-415 seal
> retainer positioned the seal relative to the original centerline so, if
> the line-boring moved the crank more than a few thousandths, the seal
> would not sit properly on the flange. One engine I rebuilt had the crank
> so far off-center that the seal was completely flattened on one side and
> not touching the other side of the flange!
>
> This led to a re-design of the kit which allowed the seal retainer to
> "float" before being properly centered with a special alignment tool
> (included in the kit), as well as a comprehensively revised set of
> instructions which include precise details of how to position everything
> correctly and pictures of each step. Unfortunately, the 433-415
> components cannot be modified to be the equivalent of a 433-421 kit.
>
> So far, the revisions seem to have made the Moss kit into an excellent
> fix for rear engine leaks, based on the fact that reported leaks and
> complaints about difficulty of installation have dwindled to almost zero.
>
> (And, FWIW, last time I checked, the kit sold by B&G in England is a
> direct copy of the 433-415 kit.)
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive