Subject: [Mg-t] original or revised seal kit

From: Duvall Video Productions <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 13:04:58 -0500

Ron,  Did you install the old or the revised Moss kit?

On Sep 18, 2013, at 1:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Ron Olds
> Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 7:05 AM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Mg-t] TD Engine Pull
>
> I have a small leak from my engine as well after rebuilding and installing
the
> Moss seal.  I have not disassembled anything to see where the drip is
coming
> from.  Can someone tell me if the flywheel can be removed with the
crankshaft
> installed?
> Ronald Olds
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Ron Olds <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 12:55:58 +0000

Mike,

The seal kit I used appears to be the old Moss kit (part number 433-415). This
kit seems to be no longer available.  What was changed between this kit and
the new revised 433-421 kit?  Is the new kit better than the one I used?  Does
anyone know if the kit I have can be modified to make it the new style or I
would have to replace it completely?

Ronald Olds

Ronald Olds

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Duvall Video Productions
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:05 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mg-t] original or revised seal kit

On Sep 18, 2013, at 1:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Behalf Of Ron Olds
the
coming
crankshaft

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Lawrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 06:37:52 -0700

Ron,

The 433-415 kit was superseded because it assumed the crankshaft was in 
the exact original location. Most engines, when rebuilt properly, have 
the main bearing saddles line-honed or even line-bored, which almost 
always slightly shifts the position of the crankshaft. The 433-415 seal 
retainer positioned the seal relative to the original centerline so, if 
the line-boring moved the crank more than a few thousandths, the seal 
would not sit properly on the flange. One engine I rebuilt had the crank 
so far off-center that the seal was completely flattened on one side and 
not touching the other side of the flange!

This led to a re-design of the kit which allowed the seal retainer to 
"float" before being properly centered with a special alignment tool 
(included in the kit), as well as a comprehensively revised set of 
instructions which include precise details of how to position everything 
correctly and pictures of each step. Unfortunately, the 433-415 
components cannot be modified to be the equivalent of a 433-421 kit.

So far, the revisions seem to have made the Moss kit into an excellent 
fix for rear engine leaks, based on the fact that reported leaks and 
complaints about difficulty of installation have dwindled to almost zero.

(And, FWIW, last time I checked, the kit sold by B&G in England is a 
direct copy of the 433-415 kit.)

Lawrie

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: John Seim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 07:32:13 -0700

Go to the Moss Motors website, and enter the new part number. You can find
out
what you need, from the info. There are now 9 pages of instructions. Lawrie
Alexander
has done quite a write up of how to install the seal. Kit comes with a spacer,
locating jig,
new seal. Step-by-step instructions.

John Seim
Irvine, CA

>> from.  Can someone tell me if the flywheel can be removed with the
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Duvall Video Productions <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 12:33:19 -0500

John,  If you have some clarity on the differences more details would be
appreciated.

Ron,  I have been studying what to do as my car leaked much worse after the
kit install.

I tried emailing Moss about the differences but their tech support is so bad
they don't actually answer your questions about what is different. They did
say you could order the parts individually but entering the part numbers into
their web site returns "no matching product"  and I didn't even get a response
when I asked about price on that part.

Here are the new instructions:
http://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/products/instructions/433-421_980-379_INST
.pdf

It appears part# 433-406 Seal Housing Alignment tool is the only difference
aside from the much better and detailed instructions.

>From what I can tell the instructions are much more orderly but the install is
basically the same with the addition of the alignment tool and more additional
information on leakage in general.

Mike

out
Alexander
> has done quite a write up of how to install the seal. Kit comes with a
spacer, locating jig,

[email-masked]