Subject: [Mg-t] Wiring the TD

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 13:46:42 -0500

Hello Friends,

Today I completed the wiring in the TD's engine room. Fun. Glad I
spent an hour with the schematic last evening!

A day or three ago I posted a note with a link showing the regulator,
fuse block, etc.. Here it is again.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1452.JPG

The camera's electronic flash buggers the paint color but that's
unimportant. Of importance in the picture is the fuse block. Its
mounted upside-down! No one commented or corrected me. Perhaps they
didn't notice. Perhaps they didn't care. No matter. Its fixed now.

Over on the other side, next to the fuel pump, I had mounted the turn
signal flasher. That's where it was when I got the car. So I put it
back there.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1453.JPG

When I examined the new harness, I realized that there were no wires
for the flasher on that end of the harness. They were over by the fuse
block, so I moved the flasher to the other side.

I also discovered that the harness design expected the turn signal
relay-box to be on the firewall, not in the cockpit. The harness wires
will not reach the correct (for my car) location. I did however, route
the wires inside the cockpit but haven't decided whether to splice
wire into the eight leads, or just move the relay-box to another
location, if that is even possible. I won't mount it in the engine
bay. Here's how that area looked wired, but before mounting the horn.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1457.JPG

And after.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1458.JPG

The grommet below the horn is there to protect the coolant temperature
tube, as it exits the firewall.

I connected the harness ground to the body using the hole provided,
and connected the white coil lead to the 'SW' coil terminal. There was
no wire included with the harness kit for the white-black wire from
the coil (CB) to the distributor - so I made one. I attached ring
terminals on a white wire and shrunk heat shrink tubing at the
connectors. Then with a Sharpie, I added a black stripe from
end-to-end. Yea, that's silly, but so am I. Here's how it looks.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1459.JPG

Sadly, the black stripe doesn't show in the pictures. Here's another look.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1462.JPG

Here is a close-ups of the wiring, illustrating the color codes. I
hope someone can use this first picture. I searched the web for an
hour trying to find one clear picture of the color codes for the later
generation regulator. Yes, I have the schematic but photographic
confirmation would have been nice. Here is the picture.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1463.JPG

And here is the flasher with wiring.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1464.JPG

Moving forward, the last connections made are at the generator. Here's
how they look.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1461.JPG

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1460.JPG

And that's it for the morning. I popped in for lunch and to send you
this note. I now need to clean up the garage. It is a MESS. With TWO
cars now being tweaked (the M.G. and the Volvo 1800ES), there are lots
of parts floating around. I don't want to get them mixed up or I could
end up with a TD speaking Swedish!

Happy Friday,

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive