Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Gearbox oil

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 08:45:48 -0600

Depends....

A. If you re-built the gearbox during this project, I would run it for 200
miles and change it, just like the motor. 
B. If this is old oil, many years, then I would go ahead and change it now,
after a short warm up.
C. If you don't know the history of the gearbox and lube in it at all, then
change it now and call it "good".

Good questions that beg one more.  What is the recommendation of The List on
what lube to use for a TD gearbox?  Moss catalog seems to be selling every
fluid, oil and lube there is with the exception of gearbox lube.  

Personally, I would recommend Red Line MT90 (NFI), what does everyone else
use?

All the best,
Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Rick Lindsay
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 7:15 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Mg-t] Gearbox oil

Hello Friends,

I write this morning requesting advice.

I'm not far from starting the TD for the first time. My concern is for the
gearbox oil. Should I,

1. Change the oil now and call it 'good'?

2. Change the oil now then change again after running a bit?

3. Leave the old, clean-looking oil in place, for now?

4. Idle the box in neutral until warm, using the old oil to 'clean' the
insides, then change?

5. Some other plan?

I'm a gearbox novice. Advice appreciated.B 

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Scott Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 10:40:25 -0500

I use Castrol or Valvoline 80w90.  I tried to use Red Line, but both times,
when I had occasion to remove the gearbox the clutch was covered in fluid.

So, until they come up with a modern mainshaft seal that synthetic can't
migrate past I'm sticking to old-fashioned dinosaur juice.

~Scott Allen
'52 MGTD

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 9:45 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]

[email-masked]