Subject: [Mg-t] XPAG ignition timing instability

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 15:23:54 -0600

Hi Friends,

My '53 TD's XPAG has unstable ignition timing. Its the kind of
instability caused by worn distributor bits (advance mechanism,
bushings, etc.). Static timing is set to TDC but it bounces around
quite a lot at idle. My TR3 had exactly the same problem and a new
distributor made it rock solid - the timing AND the idle.

Is there a distributor rebuild service that you recommend? Moss has a
replacement for $470 but its an upgrade, not a one-for-one
replacement. I don't want to go there AND I don't have the skills or
tools to rebuild my distributor.

Please help.

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "lists" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Nov 2013 09:22:03 +0100

Scott,

how can a maladjusted distributor be the cause for cylinders running rich? I always thought that the carbs were responsible for the mixture.

Eric

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Von	Scott Allen [[email-masked]]	
An	Richard Lindsay[[email-masked]]	
CC	[email-masked]	
Datum	12.11.2013 23:48:14	
Betreff	Re: [Mg-t] XPAG ignition timing instability	
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Blair Engle who is a member of this list did mine.  He owns the Classic MG
Shop in Tallahasee and can be reached at [email-masked].  He also
offers several other rebuild services.

However, please be advised when he did mine he had to replace the case as
well as re-bush it.  It's made of pot metal and the shaft will wear an oval
pattern in it over time rather than staying round, causing the back two
cylinders to run rich no matter what adjustment I made.

~Scott
'52 MG

[email-masked]