Subject: [Mg-t] Tiny progress and a question

From: Rick Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 18:16:48 -0500

Hi Friends,

I only had a little time for car-play this afternoon. I used much of it digging parts out of boxes as my TD project re-commences. That's when I discovered that I hadn't painted the headlight support castings. So guess what I did with the rest of the time available.

Yes, I stripped the old paint from the left support and cleaned it further on the wire wheel. The bare metal was then primered and is now drying. Tomorrow I will prep and primer the right support. While the primer on both sides cures I will search for the bolts for one end and nuts for the other. Wednesday, those parts will get a nice coat of Autumn Red.

Now, the question: I have seen MG TDs with chrome headlight pods and chrome front trim bits, and other TDs with body color pods with chrome front trim bits. Which is correct for a late '53? Both? Or are the painted pods just an attractive solution for damaged chrome?

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 23:26:44 GMT

Hi Rick,  The bar across the radiator should be black. It was a 'bought in"
part.   Earliest cars had chrome pods with a medallion. It's said that the
chrome supply was reduced by needs for Korean conflict, and that the pods were
then painted. But then later they were chromed again, though without the
medallion, toward the end of production.   Late 53, with turn signals, wiper
in center, round tail lamps very likely had the chrome pods w/o medallion.
Painted pods are subject to severe scratching by those who set the sides of
the bonnet down outside the pod. Owners do it once, if ever, but non-owners
who do not know about this can do ugly damage to paint.  Given the choice, an
owner of late car would be wise to go for chrome.Bob

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Rick Lindsay <[email-masked]>
To: MG <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Mg-t] Tiny progress and a question
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 18:16:48 -0500

Hi Friends,

I only had a little time for car-play this afternoon. I used much of it
digging parts out of boxes as my TD project re-commences. That's when I
discovered that I hadn't painted the headlight support castings. So guess what
I did with the rest of the time available.

Yes, I stripped the old paint from the left support and cleaned it further on
the wire wheel. The bare metal was then primered and is now drying. Tomorrow I
will prep and primer the right support. While the primer on both sides cures I
will search for the bolts for one end and nuts for the other. Wednesday, those
parts will get a nice coat of Autumn Red.

Now, the question: I have seen MG TDs with chrome headlight pods and chrome
front trim bits, and other TDs with body color pods with chrome front trim
bits. Which is correct for a late '53? Both? Or are the painted pods just an
attractive solution for damaged chrome?

-rick

[email-masked]

[email-masked]