Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Bonnet handle orientation

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 07:54:24 -0500

Handles indeed should be "handed"  --  two lefts, and two rights, so the 
"MG" is right-side-up on both sides when the handles are locked--which is 
pointing backwards.  Both sides rotate up and toward the front (so clockwise 
on the right, c-cl. on the left) to release the latches.

Sarah Carr
TD3942EXLU in PA

-----Original Message----- 
From: Rick Lindsay
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:27 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mg-t] Bonnet handle orientation

Hi Friends,

Quick question or two, please, regarding bonnet release handles;

With the octagon and 'MG' reading correctly, the bonnet latch handles, from 
side to side, cannot extend in the same direction, when latched - or perhaps 
the handles should be 'handed' - but mine are all the same. So the question 
at hand is:

Assuming that the handles are horizontal when latched, should the 'MG' read 
upside down on on the right side, with the handle extending rearward, or 
should it read correctly but extending forward? And am I correct in assuming 
that both sides release with a counter-clockwise turn? Sadly I removed the 
original handles ages ago, and of course, didn't adequately document the 
configuration.

Thanks.

-rick
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bob Grunau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 07:59:28 -0500

With the octagon and 'MG' reading correctly, the bonnet latch handles, from
side to side, cannot extend in the same direction, when latched - or perhaps
the handles should be 'handed' - but mine are all the same. So the question
at hand is:
-Handles are "Handled " , 2 left, 2 right, all read MG properly orientated
when closed and horizontal.

Assuming that the handles are horizontal when latched, should the 'MG' read
upside down on on the right side,
-NO

 with the handle extending rearward,
-YES, all handles extend rearward when latched. 

 or should it read correctly but extending forward?
-NEVER. 

 And am I correct in assuming that both sides release with a
counter-clockwise turn?
-No again, both sides release when handles are rotated up and forward. 

Handles and Latch mechanisms are handed, so two right side, two left side,
left and rights are mirror images. 

 Sadly I removed the original handles ages ago, and of course, didn't
adequately document the configuration.
-Yep, we all did that at one time, latches are not easy to figure out if off
the car. As I recall, the spring clip goes to the front of the car and there
is a difference in length of slot guiding the latch. So lay out the latches,
yiou should find two left, two right.

Bob

[email-masked]