Subject: [Mg-t] Further to; Running, but not well

From: Rick Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 19:45:27 -0500

--===============0521287395954482130==

----_com.android.email_2170457775738690
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.android.email_2170457775738690
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.android.email_2170457775738690--

--===============0521287395954482130==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============0521287395954482130==--

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 12:38:03 GMT

--===============3862460628263605290==

----__JWM__J65f2f31e.4e3f4610S.6478e63M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

Hi Rich,  The different distributors may have different springs, but tho=
se I have seen (don't know which distributors they were, though) had spr=
ings that seemed to me to be pretty robust, similar in gauge to the MGB =
springs.   One is typically slack on the pegs, the other on firmly thoug=
h not stretched at all--can be wiggled.   Advance curve begins at low rp=
m, which is why you can't do 0 at idle, for example, as advance is alrea=
dy five or six or more degrees.
  I don't see how the cam could have jumped---the tensioner is right on =
it from the beginning--does not need to be pumped up with oil pressure t=
o hold the chain.  MGB people have been fussing about the slot not being=
 milled in the right place, however, so it could be, I suppose, that you=
rs is not properly placed.  i did not think to check movement on the lob=
es when I installed mine--just did it per the TD manual and counted (abo=
ut ten times) the links on each side of the marks.Bob
---------- Original Message ----------
From: Rick Lindsay <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Mg-t] Further to;  Running, but not well
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 19:45:27 -0500

Hi Friends, Update: With timing set to TDC (static) the car starts okay.=
 On the timing light, actual timing jumps around quite a bit. Inside the=
 distributor, the springs on the centripetal advance don't look right. T=
hey don't look like any advance springs I have ever seen. Small gauge wi=
re and new-looking. Fitment is poor too.  I have a set of springs from a=
n E-Type. I'll put them in as a test, just a test. If the idle timing is=
 stable, I'll order a correct set for proper advance. Lots of backfiring=
 AND carb spitting when opening the throttle, if the timing is tweaked..=
.even a little.  Any way the cam timing could have jumped? Thanks for yo=
ur ongoing support. -rick   
----__JWM__J65f2f31e.4e3f4610S.6478e63M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div>Hi Rich,</div><div>&nbsp; The different distributors may have=
 different springs, but those I have seen (don't know which distributors=
 they were, though) had springs that seemed to me to be pretty robust, s=
imilar in gauge to the MGB springs.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp; One is typica=
lly slack on the pegs, the other on firmly though not stretched at all--=
can be wiggled.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp; Advance curve begins at low rpm, =
which is why you can't do 0 at idle, for example, as advance is already =
five or six or more degrees.<br>&nbsp; I don't see how the cam could hav=
e jumped---the tensioner is right on it from the beginning--does not nee=
d to be pumped up with oil pressure to hold the chain.</div><div>&nbsp; =
MGB people have been fussing about the slot not being milled in the righ=
t place, however, so it could be, I suppose, that yours is not properly =
placed. &nbsp;i did not think to check movement on the lobes when I inst=
alled mine--just did it per the TD manual and counted (about ten times) =
the links on each side of the marks.</div><div>Bob</div><div><br>-------=
--- Original Message ----------<br>From: Rick Lindsay &lt;richardolindsa=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: "[email-masked]" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;=
<br>Subject: [Mg-t] Further to; &nbsp;Running, but not well<br>Date: Mon=
, 20 Apr 2015 19:45:27 -0500<br><br></p><div>Hi Friends,</div><div>&nbsp=
;</div><div>Update: With timing set to TDC (static) the car starts okay.=
 On the timing light, actual timing jumps around quite a bit. Inside the=
 distributor, the springs on the centripetal advance don't look right. T=
hey don't look like any advance springs I have ever seen. Small gauge wi=
re and new-looking. Fitment is poor too.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><di=
v>I have a set of springs from an E-Type. I'll put them in as a test, ju=
st a test. If the idle timing is stable, I'll order a correct set for pr=
oper advance.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Lots of backfiring AND carb spi=
tting when opening the throttle, if the timing is tweaked...even a littl=
e.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Any way the cam timing could have ju=
mped?</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Thanks for your ongoing support.</div><=
div>&nbsp;</div><div>-rick</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div i=
d=3D"composer_signature">&nbsp;</div></html>

----__JWM__J65f2f31e.4e3f4610S.6478e63M--

--===============3862460628263605290==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3862460628263605290==--

---

From: John Seim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 06:23:31 -0700

Rick, there are two different distributors shaft lengths used.
The shaft length is the difference.
Early dist. 40048 and 40162 are to be used in banana hole blocks, with a center bolt holding the distributor in place.
These distributors have a longer shaft length, as a micrometer adjuster, or a clamp and a spacing washer, were to be used 
with the distributor installation in the car.
If you use these in a later style engine, the gear will sit below the gear on the cam, the cam gear will carve a section out of
the distributor shaft, and your timing will jump around a little.

The round hole blocks have a shaft with a half moon holding the dist. in place. 
They eliminated the clamp, and decreased the dist. shaft length by 3/8 inch.
Distributor numbers 40367 and 40368 fall into this category.
If you use them in an early engine, with a clamp, the gear will barely engage the cam gear, and your timing will jump
all over the place.

John Seim

On Apr 20, 2015, at 5:45 PM, Rick Lindsay wrote:

> Hi Friends,
> 
> Update: With timing set to TDC (static) the car starts okay. On the timing light, actual timing jumps around quite a bit. Inside the distributor, the springs on the centripetal advance don't look right. They don't look like any advance springs I have ever seen. Small gauge wire and new-looking. Fitment is poor too. 
> 
> I have a set of springs from an E-Type. I'll put them in as a test, just a test. If the idle timing is stable, I'll order a correct set for proper advance.
> 
> Lots of backfiring AND carb spitting when opening the throttle, if the timing is tweaked...even a little. 
> 
> Any way the cam timing could have jumped?
> 
> Thanks for your ongoing support.
> 
> -rick
> 
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
> 

[email-masked]