Subject: [Mg-t] XPAG idle speed, timing

From: Rick Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 17:10:29 -0500

--===============8458247176166043664==

----_com.android.email_747115146690210
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.android.email_747115146690210
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.android.email_747115146690210--

--===============8458247176166043664==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============8458247176166043664==--

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 13:08:19 GMT

--===============0131418248156577050==

----__JWM__J462a9f1e.2313ed19S.5db8faa9M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

Hi Rick,  Mine is a Mk II, which started out with 8.6 or 8.1 compression=
 (depending on the source of the information, and its head has been off =
twice, machined flat both times. Compression is probably higher than ori=
ginal, though I do not know what it is.  Cylinder pressures were 155 or =
so last time I checked, several years ago.  It runs just fine on 87 that=
, in CT, "may contain up to 10% alcohol", with the advance at 32 degrees=
 at 3000 rpm.  A happy idle speed is 850-900 rpm, with the fast idle fro=
m the "choke" about 800 when the engine is at 20F or so garage temp. Tha=
t would probably be about 1200 if engine were at operating temp.   The m=
ixture enrichment is used just for the instant of starting. As soon as e=
ngine fires, I back out, close the garage door, get back into the TD and=
 push in the knob. After that, I use the throttle to maintain speed for =
a minute, then drive off.  Bob =

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Rick Lindsay <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Mg-t] XPAG idle speed, timing
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 17:10:29 -0500

 Hi Friends, In 1953 when my TD was built, the average pump petrol in Br=
itain was 72 octane. Today, 93 octane is not uncommon, if unleaded and c=
ontaminated by alcohol. So instead of following a 60+ year old workshop =
manual (even if I could find a recommended idle speed in it), what warm =
idle do you recommend for a healthy XPAG? How about cold idle speed on t=
he 'choke', which is of course, not a choke in American-speak? How about=
 static timing? The same manual TDC, with a maximum advance of 32 degree=
s. What do YOU use? I'm reminded of the quote, "Practice always works in=
 theory, but theory doesn't always work in practice! " Thanks for your a=
dvice. -rick   
----__JWM__J462a9f1e.2313ed19S.5db8faa9M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div><br>Hi Rick,</div><div>&nbsp; Mine is a Mk II, which started =
out with 8.6 or 8.1 compression (depending on the source of the informat=
ion, and its head has been off twice, machined flat both times. Compress=
ion is probably higher than original, though I do not know what it is. &=
nbsp;Cylinder pressures were 155 or so last time I checked, several year=
s ago.</div><div>&nbsp; It runs just fine on 87 that, in CT, "may contai=
n up to 10% alcohol", with the advance at 32 degrees at 3000 rpm.</div><=
div>&nbsp; A happy idle speed is 850-900 rpm, with the fast idle from th=
e "choke" about 800 when the engine is at 20F or so garage temp. That wo=
uld probably be about 1200 if engine were at operating temp.&nbsp;</div>=
<div>&nbsp; The mixture enrichment is used just for the instant of start=
ing. As soon as engine fires, I back out, close the garage door, get bac=
k into the TD and push in the knob. After that, I use the throttle to ma=
intain speed for a minute, then drive off. &nbsp;</div><div>Bob</div><di=
v>&nbsp;</div><div><br>---------- Original Message ----------<br>From: R=
ick Lindsay &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: "[email-masked]=
t" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: [Mg-t] XPAG idle speed, timin=
g<br>Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 17:10:29 -0500<br><br></p><div>&nbsp;</div><=
div>Hi Friends,</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>In 1953 when my TD was built,=
 the average pump petrol in Britain was 72 octane. Today, 93 octane is n=
ot uncommon, if unleaded and contaminated by alcohol. So instead of foll=
owing a 60+ year old workshop manual (even if I could find a recommended=
 idle speed in it), what warm idle do you recommend for a healthy XPAG? =
How about cold idle speed on the 'choke', which is of course, not a chok=
e in American-speak?</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>How about static timing?=
 The same manual TDC, with a maximum advance of 32 degrees. What do YOU =
use?</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>I'm reminded of the quote, "Practice alw=
ays works in theory, but theory doesn't always work in practice! " Thank=
s for your advice.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>-rick</div><div>&nbsp;</di=
v><div>&nbsp;</div><div id=3D"composer_signature">&nbsp;</div></html>

----__JWM__J462a9f1e.2313ed19S.5db8faa9M--

--===============0131418248156577050==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0131418248156577050==--