Subject: [Mg-t] Running, but not well

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 10:57:26 -0500

Hi Friends,

Yesterday I buttoned up the fuel system on my '53 TD. Powered it up
the pump, resolved a stuck float bowl valve, and was happy to see no
(other) leaks. Nice clean fuel in the filter. All yummy. Set the
'choke' just a bit, and pulled the starter. Lots of spinning but no
start-up. Not even a try. With fuel now verified, I assumed an
ignition problem. Did I get the distributor 180 degrees out? Did I
move the distributor about buggering the timing, then forget I'd done
so?

Well, the answer to the above is No, and no.

Voltage to the coil: Yes
Voltage to the (open) points: Yes
Points closing to ground: Yes
Plugs out and cleaned: Yes
Plug wire continuity, cap to plug: Yes
Coil wire to carbon brush in cap: NO
Coil wire end to end: Yes
Center connector on cap to carbon brush: NO

Problem found. This is a new cap from Moss, with screw on lead
attachment. I pulled the carbon brush out, along with its spring. The
spring has a slightly larger turn or two on the inside end, so that it
doesn't fall out of the cap during installation. Those turns were just
enough larger in diameter to not seat on the contact! I bent one coil
of the larger end out and toward the middle where it would touch the
contact. Reinstalled, the brush stayed in place and there is now
continuity.

Cap back on, plugs back in, wires connected, off to the starter,
'Choke' set to 'off'.

One pull of the starter knob, and the car started! First success! Not
bad, I thought! As it warmed, the idle became erratic. Checking the
air flow front-to-rear, the rear carb needed more throttle. Once
balanced, it still missed quite a bit, centering around an idle speed
of about 1200rpm.

Once warm, lifting off of idle (linkage between carbs now connected)
the engine did NOT want to increase in speed. Yes, some increase
(2000-2500rpm, or so) but missing a lot. Furter opening of the
throttle just made things worse. No coughing or backfiring. Just poor
running.

After a few minutes turned off, I started it again with just the
slightest pull of the knob. Fired right up. Same problem.

Here is how it is currently set up:

Ignition timing: Static, TDC, as per the shop manual, not yet cheched
with the light
Plugs gaps: as per manual...
Points gap: as per...
Carb jets: down about 1mm from holder in the bridge, adding 'choke'
worsens the problem.
Airflow: balanced, ish.

Please share your thoughts. Things to try? All help appreciated.

-rick / '53 TD
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive