Subject: Re: [Mg-t] ReStart Question

From: "Lew Palmer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2016 15:53:16 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============7280745605455476364==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_02DB_01D1A3C1.94816A60"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_02DB_01D1A3C1.94816A60
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

No, they are both polarity neutral. 

From: Mg-t [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Gable, Gerry
Sent: Sunday, May 1, 2016 10:21 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mg-t] ReStart Question

I got my 49 MG TC back from the mechanic that cleaned my carburetors got my
car started after being   idle for many years.  I discovered the battery was
wired for negative ground, will that have an effect on the starter and the
generator?

Thanks

Hap

------=_NextPart_000_02DB_01D1A3C1.94816A60
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>No, they are both polarity neutral. <o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Mg-t [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of </b>Gable, =
Gerry<br><b>Sent:</b> Sunday, May 1, 2016 10:21 AM<br><b>To:</b> =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [Mg-t] ReStart =
Question<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";color:black'>=
I got my 49 MG TC back from the mechanic that cleaned my carburetors got =
my car started after being &nbsp; idle for many years.&nbsp; I =
discovered the battery was wired for negative ground, will that have an =
effect on the starter and the generator?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";color:black'>=
Thanks<o:p></o:p></span></p><p><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";color:black'>=
Hap<o:p></o:p></span></p><p><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";color:black'>=
&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_02DB_01D1A3C1.94816A60--

--===============7280745605455476364==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7280745605455476364==--

---

From: Charles Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2016 16:18:03 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7425039490769015041==
 boundary="------------687234C00A938DAE6F246F36"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------687234C00A938DAE6F246F36
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

It will have no effect on the starter. The generator should be fine 
too.  To reassure yourself, you can flash the generator by touching a 
wire connected to the positive side of the battery to the F post on the 
generator.  This will set the generator to the correct polarity if it is 
not already repolarized.  The most obvious effect to the car will be 
with the ammeter.  If it reads to the + side when you turn on the switch 
and then goes to the - side when the  car is running, the wires have to 
be reversed.   Some recommend switching the coil leads for best ignition 
performance.  Nothing else on the car as it came was polarity 
sensitive.  Now if it has a Pertronics ignition or other modern 
"upgrades" that is a totally different situation.

Regards,
Charles Hill

  On 5/1/2016 10:20 AM, Gable, Gerry wrote:
>
> I got my 49 MG TC back from the mechanic that cleaned my carburetors 
> got my car started after being   idle for many years.  I discovered 
> the battery was wired for negative ground, will that have an effect on 
> the starter and the generator?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hap
>
>

--------------687234C00A938DAE6F246F36
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">It will have no effect on the starter. 
      The generator should be fine too.  To reassure yourself, you can
      flash the generator by touching a wire connected to the positive
      side of the battery to the F post on the generator.  This will set
      the generator to the correct polarity if it is not already
      repolarized.  The most obvious effect to the car will be with the
      ammeter.  If it reads to the + side when you turn on the switch
      and then goes to the - side when the  car is running, the wires
      have to be reversed.   Some recommend switching the coil leads for
      best ignition performance.  Nothing else on the car as it came was
      polarity sensitive.  Now if it has a Pertronics ignition or other
      modern "upgrades" that is a totally different situation.  <br>
      <br>
      Regards,<br>
      Charles Hill<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
       On 5/1/2016 10:20 AM, Gable, Gerry wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
      cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <style id="owaParaStyle">P {
	MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN-TOP: 0px
}
</style>
      <div style="direction: ltr;font-family: Tahoma;color:
        #000000;font-size: 10pt;">
        <p>I got my 49 MG TC back from the mechanic that cleaned my
          carburetors got my car started after being   idle for many
          years.  I discovered the battery was wired for negative
          ground, will that have an effect on the starter and the
          generator?</p>
        <p>Thanks</p>
        <p>Hap</p>
        <p> </p>
      </div>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------687234C00A938DAE6F246F36--

--===============7425039490769015041==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7425039490769015041==--

---

From: Gene Gillam <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2016 17:08:55 -0500

--===============4981157924469529006==
	boundary=Apple-Mail-EC29F3C0-D625-446F-A1B8-42487037E9E5
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-EC29F3C0-D625-446F-A1B8-42487037E9E5
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Gerry,

It's quite possible your car was converted to negative ground years ago.  Do=
es your ammeter show the car charging or does it show a discharge when it's r=
unning?

If it shows its charging, all is well.  If it shows a discharge you can eith=
er switch the battery leads to return to positive ground or leave it as is. =
 In either case you'll have to "flash" your generator.  Google will be your f=
riend there.

Gene
Pardon the brevity, this was sent from my iPad

On May 1, 2016, at 10:20 AM, Gable, Gerry <[email-masked]> wrote:

I got my 49 MG TC back from the mechanic that cleaned my carburetors got my c=
ar started after being   idle for many years.  I discovered the battery was w=
ired for negative ground, will that have an effect on the starter and the ge=
nerator?
Thanks
Hap
=20
______________________________________________

[email-masked]
outh.net

--Apple-Mail-EC29F3C0-D625-446F-A1B8-42487037E9E5
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto"><div>Gerry,</div><div id="AppleMailSignature"><br></div><div id="AppleMailSignature">It's quite possible your car was converted to negative ground years ago. &nbsp;Does your ammeter show the car charging or does it show a discharge when it's running?</div><div id="AppleMailSignature"><br></div><div id="AppleMailSignature">If it shows its charging, all is well. &nbsp;If it shows a discharge you can either switch the battery leads to return to positive ground or leave it as is. &nbsp;In either case you'll have to "flash" your generator. &nbsp;Google will be your friend there.</div><div id="AppleMailSignature"><br></div><div id="AppleMailSignature">Gene<div>Pardon the brevity, this was sent from my iPad</div></div><div><br>On May 1, 2016, at 10:20 AM, Gable, Gerry &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br></div><div>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<style id="owaParaStyle">P {
	MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN-TOP: 0px
}
</style>

<div style="direction: ltr;font-family: Tahoma;color: #000000;font-size: 10pt;">
<p>I got my 49 MG TC back from the mechanic that cleaned my carburetors got my car started after being &nbsp; idle for many years.&nbsp; I discovered the battery was wired for negative ground, will that have an effect on the starter and the generator?</p>
<p>Thanks</p>
<p>Hap</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
</div>

</div><div><span>______________________________________________</span><br><span></span><br><span><a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a></span><br><span>Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></span><br><span>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$11.47</span><br><span>Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a></span><br><span>Forums: <a href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a></span><br><span>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]</a></span><br><span></span><br></div></body></html>
--Apple-Mail-EC29F3C0-D625-446F-A1B8-42487037E9E5--

--===============4981157924469529006==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4981157924469529006==--

---

From: Andrew Mace <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2016 18:33:59 -0400

--===============1581436199265219167==
	boundary="----=_Part_51661_1147127222.1462142039215"

------=_Part_51661_1147127222.1462142039215
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

 The starter doesn't care. Neither does the generator, except that it's as likely NOT to repolarize itself. Of course, if you have an ammeter, it will read backwards.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald Database: http://triumph-herald.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Gable, Gerry <[email-masked]>
To: mg-t <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, May 1, 2016 4:57 pm
Subject: [Mg-t] ReStart Question

I got my 49 MG TC back from the mechanic that cleaned my carburetors got my car started after being   idle for many years.  I discovered the battery was wired for negative ground, will that have an effect on the starter and the generator?
Thanks
Hap

[email-masked]

------=_Part_51661_1147127222.1462142039215
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='3' face='Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'>

<div> <font size="3">The starter doesn't care. Neither does the generator, except that it's as likely NOT to repolarize itself. Of course, if you have an ammeter, it will read backwards.</font><br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="clear:both">--Andy Mace<br>

<br>

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?<br>

*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with wings.<br>

-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)<br>

<br>

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph Register: http://www.vtr.org<br>

<br>

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald Database: http://triumph-herald.us</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div> <br>

</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>

From: Gable, Gerry &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

To: mg-t &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>

Sent: Sun, May 1, 2016 4:57 pm<br>

Subject: [Mg-t] ReStart Question<br>

<br>

<div id="AOLMsgPart_1.2_2a785e18-9deb-4b24-b12b-a8dde8d02bf6">
<style id="owaParaStyle" scoped="">#AOLMsgPart_1.2_2a785e18-9deb-4b24-b12b-a8dde8d02bf6 td{color: black;} .aolReplacedBody P {  MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN-TOP: 0px } </style>

<div class="aolReplacedBody">

<div>I got my 49 MG TC back from the mechanic that cleaned my carburetors got my car started after being &nbsp; idle for many years.&nbsp; I discovered the battery was wired for negative ground, will that have an effect on the starter and the generator?</div>

<div>Thanks</div>

<div>Hap</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

______________________________________________<br>

<br>

Mg-<a removedlink__238da63f-bb22-4370-a301-09f4372d2536__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>

Archive: <a removedlink__238da63f-bb22-4370-a301-09f4372d2536__href="http://www.team.net/archive" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>

Forums: <a removedlink__238da63f-bb22-4370-a301-09f4372d2536__href="http://www.team.net/forums" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>

<br>

</div>

</font>
------=_Part_51661_1147127222.1462142039215--

--===============1581436199265219167==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1581436199265219167==--