Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Need TD front wing(s)

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 09:18:58 -0500

--===============9083573089199745713==

--001a114029889c840c053eabac96

Stan, given the rise in value - albeit slower than the exotics - my
recommendation is to grab the wallet and put your TD back to 'correct'.

On Oct 12, 2016 8:48 AM, "Stan Fickes" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> My metal guy has judged my left hand front wing to be beyond repair. Does
> anyone have one for sale? I have an early TD with Girling fenders, which
> appear to have been modified to allow use of Armstrong shocks (currently in
> the car). Frankly, I don't know whether to replace both wings with newer
> "bumped" wings, run with a mismatched pair, or duplicate the cuts and bends
> in my current wing. I suppose I could buy a pair of Girling shocks...
> Thanks!
> Stan
>
> ______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/mg-t/[email-masked]
>
>
>

--001a114029889c840c053eabac96
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<p dir=3D"ltr">Stan, given the rise in value - albeit slower than the exoti=
cs - my recommendation is to grab the wallet and put your TD back to &#39;c=
orrect&#39;. </p>
<div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Oct 12, 2016 8=
:48 AM, &quot;Stan Fickes&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">s=
[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padd=
ing-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><span style=3D"color:rgb(29,33,41);font-fami=
ly:helvetica,arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px">My metal guy has judged my le=
ft hand front wing to be beyond repair. Does anyone have one for sale? I ha=
ve an early TD with Girling fenders, which appear to have been modified to =
allow use of Armstrong shocks (currently in the car). Frankly, I don&#39;t =
know whether to replace both wings with newer &quot;bumped&quot; wings, run=
 with a mismatched pair, or duplicate the cuts and bends in my current wing=
. I suppose I could buy a pair of Girling shocks...</span><br><div><span st=
yle=3D"color:rgb(29,33,41);font-family:helvetica,arial,sans-serif;font-size=
:14px">Thanks!</span></div><div><span style=3D"color:rgb(29,33,41);font-fam=
ily:helvetica,arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px">Stan</span></div></div>
<br>______________________________<wbr>________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.<wbr>html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox=
.team.net/mailman/<wbr>options/mg-t/richardolindsay@<wbr>gmail.com</a><br>
<br>
<br></blockquote></div></div>

--001a114029889c840c053eabac96--

--===============9083573089199745713==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============9083573089199745713==--

---

From: Richard Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 10:28:33 -0500

--===============3615240963312087452==

--001a113fc32272ddb2053eaca589
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

John, you are right, of course. We restore them to 'correct' because that
is the right thing to do. Old cars are 'history' and by definition, they
should be preserved.

This topic hits a hot button for me. Our wonderful classic car restoration
hobby is a dying thing. And I don't mean because millenials can't tell a
camshaft from a screwdriver! I mean the 'interesting' cars produced today
are not really restorable. Yes, one may be able to buy brake pads but what
about the 'Push to Start' computer in an older Ferrari?

I recently repaired a 1989 Ferrari Mondial T. It had a very poor running
problem. Turns out one of the mass air flow sensors was defective. Yes, it
has TWO, one for each bank of four cylinders. So the problem was that the
right bank was bring fed properly while the left bank was running WAY too
lean...and we know the problem that that causes.

Anyway, the MAF is NLA. Used MAFs are occasionally available in Europe
since the same unit was used on a mid-'80s, European version, Saab. They go
for about =E2=82=AC700, if one can be found.

The problem I found was a corroded spot in the potentiometer, right where
the 'wiper' needed to touch the resistive strip! And of course, the unit is
'potted' and can't be opened. We ended up setting BOTH MAFs too rich to
avoid the damaged spot. And even at that, the MAF would sometimes fail,
causing the owner to have to re-tune both banks.

So my overall point is to say how important it is (at least to me) to
preserve old cars because there is not an influx of restorable newer cars
for future car hobbiests.

As for value of a TD; I think it will increase. John is absolutely correct
about the historical data but the same was true for Ferraris. My 308GTB
held at $25k-$30k for the same decade that John quotes. Its worth $100k
more than that right now!!! My lowly TR3b has trippled in value. I just
think the T-Series cars have to follow suit. Not $125k cars, but $30k range
in the next decade is not unreasonable. And that is certainly NOT the best
reason to invest in the preservation of a classic. History is.

-rick, with a late TD,  and 11 other cars

-rick

--001a113fc32272ddb2053eaca589
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<p dir=3D"ltr">John, you are right, of course. We restore them to &#39;corr=
ect&#39; because that is the right thing to do. Old cars are &#39;history&#=
39; and by definition, they should be preserved.</p>
<p dir=3D"ltr">This topic hits a hot button for me. Our wonderful classic c=
ar restoration hobby is a dying thing. And I don&#39;t mean because milleni=
als can&#39;t tell a camshaft from a screwdriver! I mean the &#39;interesti=
ng&#39; cars produced today are not really restorable. Yes, one may be able=
 to buy brake pads but what about the &#39;Push to Start&#39; computer in a=
n older Ferrari?</p>
<p dir=3D"ltr">I recently repaired a 1989 Ferrari Mondial T. It had a very =
poor running problem. Turns out one of the mass air flow sensors was defect=
ive. Yes, it has TWO, one for each bank of four cylinders. So the problem w=
as that the right bank was bring fed properly while the left bank was runni=
ng WAY too lean...and we know the problem that that causes.</p>
<p dir=3D"ltr">Anyway, the MAF is NLA. Used MAFs are occasionally available=
 in Europe since the same unit was used on a mid-&#39;80s, European version=
, Saab. They go for about =E2=82=AC700, if one can be found.</p>
<p dir=3D"ltr">The problem I found was a corroded spot in the potentiometer=
, right where the &#39;wiper&#39; needed to touch the resistive strip! And =
of course, the unit is &#39;potted&#39; and can&#39;t be opened. We ended u=
p setting BOTH MAFs too rich to avoid the damaged spot. And even at that, t=
he MAF would sometimes fail, causing the owner to have to re-tune both bank=
s.</p>
<p dir=3D"ltr">So my overall point is to say how important it is (at least =
to me) to preserve old cars because there is not an influx of restorable ne=
wer cars for future car hobbiests.</p>
<p dir=3D"ltr">As for value of a TD; I think it will increase. John is abso=
lutely correct about the historical data but the same was true for Ferraris=
. My 308GTB held at $25k-$30k for the same decade that John quotes. Its wor=
th $100k more than that right now!!! My lowly TR3b has trippled in value. I=
 just think the T-Series cars have to follow suit. Not $125k cars, but $30k=
 range in the next decade is not unreasonable. And that is certainly NOT th=
e best reason to invest in the preservation of a classic. History is.</p>
<p dir=3D"ltr">-rick, with a late TD,=C2=A0 and 11 other cars</p>
<p dir=3D"ltr">-rick</p>

--001a113fc32272ddb2053eaca589--

--===============3615240963312087452==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3615240963312087452==--

---

From: "lawrie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 12:03:41 -0800

Stan,

I have a pair of "Girling" TD front fenders which appear never to have been damaged, although both have light surface rust. They were stripped for an abandoned restoration project. 

The right front is virtually perfect, the left one has a small area of lead (maybe even factory?) and some very tiny rust-through pin-holes near the front leading edge. Overall, though, it is very definitely an easy repair. I'd be happy to sell either one or both; $300 for one or $500 for both, plus packing and shipping.

I also have a "virgin" pair of rear fenders with no rust or damage whatsoever, and they come with a coat of faded (non-original) pastel blue paint which has kept them rust free. Also an original radiator, steering column, never-used TD exhaust system, and lots of other bits and pieces from this car that I bought a couple of years ago.

Lawrie (near Sacramento, CA)

>  -------Original Message-------
>  From: Stan Fickes <[email-masked]>
>  To: [email-masked]
>  Subject: [Mg-t] Need TD front wing(s)
>  Sent: 12 Oct '16 05:49
>  
>  My metal guy has judged my left hand front wing to be beyond repair.
>  Does anyone have one for sale? I have an early TD with Girling
>  fenders, which appear to have been modified to allow use of Armstrong
>  shocks (currently in the car). Frankly, I don't know whether to
>  replace both wings with newer "bumped" wings, run with a mismatched
>  pair, or duplicate the cuts and bends in my current wing. I suppose I
>  could buy a pair of Girling shocks...
>  
>  Thanks!
>  Stan
>  -------------------------
>  Unsubscribe/Manage:
>  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mg-t/[email-masked]
>  
>  

[email-masked]