Subject: Re: [Mgs] clutch woes

From: Barney Gaylord <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:57:08 -0500

--===============8210417401188875000==
	boundary="=====================_99068390==.ALT"

--=====================_99068390==.ALT

Very early MGA had a clutch slave cylinder with two side ports and a 
banjo fitting for the hose connetion. The bleeder fitting has to go 
in the top port, hose connection to the bottom port.

Later MGA had a clutch slave cylinder with one side poet (high) for 
the bleeder and one end port (lower) for the hose (same hose), and no 
banjo fitting parts.

If you're not a concours show enthusiast, then I suggest all early 
MGA should be changed to the later style slave cylinder (first time 
it needs to be changed), and abandon the banjo fitting parts.

The MG clutch is notoriously difficult to bleed the first time, but 
once it is working it should stay working. If it loses fluid, you 
need to fix the leak point.  If it does not lose fluid, but stops 
working anyway, that would be rather wierd.

At 12:02 PM 11/25/2023, dave northrup wrote:
>....
>Really having trouble getting my clutch to work and stay 
>working.  several times I've gotten it to work, only to find in a 
>few days that it no longer works.
>
>as a result I have never actually driven the car (it came in kit form).
>
>I've replaced the master, slave, and hose, all from Scarborough 
>Faire this time.  Thinking I need to maybe replace the metal tubing 
>as well.  which brings me to my question.  As opposed to the brake 
>connection, the slave has a banjo fitting, etc., which seems almost 
>Rube Goldberg.  Is there any reason when I have the new tubing made 
>not to just skip all that and do it like the brake side?  Being 
>correct is not a factor; having it work is!
>....

-- 
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com
--=====================_99068390==.ALT
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<body>
<font size=3D3>Very early MGA had a clutch slave cylinder with two side
ports and a banjo fitting for the hose connetion. The bleeder fitting has
to go in the top port, hose connection to the bottom port.<br><br>
Later MGA had a clutch slave cylinder with one side poet (high) for the
bleeder and one end port (lower) for the hose (same hose), and no banjo
fitting parts.<br><br>
If you're not a concours show enthusiast, then I suggest all early MGA
should be changed to the later style slave cylinder (first time it needs
to be changed), and abandon the banjo fitting parts.<br><br>
The MG clutch is notoriously difficult to bleed the first time, but once
it is working it should stay working. If it loses fluid, you need to fix
the leak point.&nbsp; If it does not lose fluid, but stops working
anyway, that would be rather wierd.<br><br>
<br>
At 12:02 PM 11/25/2023, dave northrup wrote:<br>
<blockquote type=3Dcite class=3Dcite cite=3D"">....<br>
Really having trouble getting my clutch to work and stay working.&nbsp;
several times I=92ve gotten it to work, only to find in a few days that it
no longer works. <br>
<br>
as a result I have never actually driven the car (it came in kit
form).<br>
<br>
I=92ve replaced the master, slave, and hose, all from Scarborough Faire
this time.&nbsp; Thinking I need to maybe replace the metal tubing as
well.&nbsp; which brings me to my question.&nbsp; As opposed to the brake
connection, the slave has a banjo fitting, etc., which seems almost Rube
Goldberg.&nbsp; Is there any reason when I have the new tubing made not
to just skip all that and do it like the brake side?&nbsp; Being correct
is not a factor; having it work is!<br>
=2E...</font></blockquote><div id=3D"DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2">=
<br /><table style=3D"border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;"><tr><td style=3D"widt=
h: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a href=3D"http://www.avg.com/email-signature?=
utm_medium=3Demail&utm_source=3Dlink&utm_campaign=3Dsig-email&utm_content=
=3Demailclient" target=3D"_blank"><img src=3D"https://s-install.avcdn.net/i=
pm/preview/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png" alt=3D"" width=3D"46"=
 height=3D"29" style=3D"width: 46px; height: 29px;"/></a></td><td style=3D"=
width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color: #41424e; font-size: 13px; font-fami=
ly: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virus-free.<a href=3D=
"http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=3Demail&utm_source=3Dlink&ut=
m_campaign=3Dsig-email&utm_content=3Demailclient" target=3D"_blank" style=
=3D"color: #4453ea;">www.avg.com</a></td></tr></table><a href=3D"#DAB4FAD8-=
2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width=3D"1" height=3D"1"> </a></div></body>
</html>

--=====================_99068390==.ALT--

--===============8210417401188875000==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============8210417401188875000==--

---

From: Paul Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 09:50:08 +0000

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8044796473022381564==
 boundary="------------tJWLIZrQRBDdwh6yZ00g0fYj"
Content-Language: en-GB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------tJWLIZrQRBDdwh6yZ00g0fYj
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Car model not given, but other than MGBs not having banjos at the slave 
much the same as Barney.  The MGB is also difficult to bleed, many 
techniques have been found to work from car to car, one of the simplest 
being to wedge the pedal fully down overnight then let it up slowly next 
morning.  That should give air bubbles time to gather near the top of 
the metal pipe, which are flushed back into the reservoir as the pedal 
is released.  You don't say whether fluid is being lost or not, or 
whether the loss of clutch action is gradual i.e. as indicated by the 
biting point getting lower and lower (test it daily at least), or is 
sudden.  Gradual loss when the car is being used can be from air being 
drawn past seals, or from leaks, which in the MGB can run down the pedal 
and be lost in the carpet as well as be external.  Any fluid in the dust 
cover?

PaulH

On 25/11/2023 17:02, dave northrup wrote:
>
> Really having trouble getting my clutch to work and stay working.  
> several times I’ve gotten it to work, only to find in a few days that 
> it no longer works.
>
> I’ve replaced the master, slave, and hose, all from Scarborough Faire 
> this time.  Thinking I need to maybe replace the metal tubing as 
> well.  which brings me to my question.  As opposed to the brake 
--------------tJWLIZrQRBDdwh6yZ00g0fYj
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>Car model not given, but other than MGBs not having banjos at the
      slave much the same as Barney.  The MGB is also difficult to
      bleed, many techniques have been found to work from car to car,
      one of the simplest being to wedge the pedal fully down overnight
      then let it up slowly next morning.  That should give air bubbles
      time to gather near the top of the metal pipe, which are flushed
      back into the reservoir as the pedal is released.  You don't say
      whether fluid is being lost or not, or whether the loss of clutch
      action is gradual i.e. as indicated by the biting point getting
      lower and lower (test it daily at least), or is sudden.  Gradual
      loss when the car is being used can be from air being drawn past
      seals, or from leaks, which in the MGB can run down the pedal and
      be lost in the carpet as well as be external.  Any fluid in the
      dust cover?</p>
    <p>PaulH<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 25/11/2023 17:02, dave northrup
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <meta name="Generator"
        content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
      <style>@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-ligatures:standardcontextual;}span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal">Really having trouble getting my clutch to
          work and stay working.  several times I’ve gotten it to work,
          only to find in a few days that it no longer works.
          <o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">as a result I have never actually driven
          the car (it came in kit form).<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">I’ve replaced the master, slave, and hose,
          all from Scarborough Faire this time.  Thinking I need to
          maybe replace the metal tubing as well.  which brings me to my
          question.  As opposed to the brake connection, the slave has a
          banjo fitting, etc., which seems almost Rube Goldberg.  Is
          there any reason when I have the new tubing made not to just
          skip all that and do it like the brake side?  Being correct is
          not a factor; having it work is!<o:p></o:p></p>
      </div>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------tJWLIZrQRBDdwh6yZ00g0fYj--

--===============8044796473022381564==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8044796473022381564==--