Subject: Re: [Mgs] 58 mga

From: Paul Hunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 08:28:25 +0000

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============1647936217972925326==
 boundary="------------Gl34WaAs0MshPt5L7jdIMn5t"
Content-Language: en-GB

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------Gl34WaAs0MshPt5L7jdIMn5t
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Did you read Barney's page?  If not the relevant section says:

"One of the key features here is that the light spring inside the slave 
cylinder will keep the train of working parts in intimate contact. There 
will be no clearance or backlash between the seal cup, piston, pushrod, 
release arm, release bearing, and the input thrust plate on the clutch 
cover. This mechanism is therefore self-adjusting to compensate for 
clutch wear and gradual change of position of the operating parts, The 
graphite faced release bearing will run with gentle intimate contact 
with the release thrust plate. Graphite against a smooth steel surface 
is self-lubricating, so it will last a long time before it wears out 
(perhaps 80,000 miles or more)."

It's not physically possible for the hydraulic system to take up play in 
part of that train without taking up play in all of it. You can test 
this for yourself by using the release arm to push the push-rod all the 
way into the cylinder, then release it.  It should slowly move back, 
while it is moving there is free play in the linkage, when it stops 
there should be none.  If yours doesn't do that then the slave piston is 
sticking or the spring is missing or broken.  Make sure you have enough 
space in the master reservoir before doing that to prevent an overflow, 
but with a combined reservoir that is less likely to happen than with 
the small clutch-only reservoir on the MGB.

PaulH.

On 31/10/2023 18:33, Eric Russell wrote:
>
> Yes, the hydraulic clutch will compensate for wear in the *clutch* 
> components. But wear in the operating parts (like the slave's 
> pushrod/clevis) results in lost motion - the first bit of movement of 
> the slave cylinder will only take up the slack and not actually move 
> the clutch fork.
>
--------------Gl34WaAs0MshPt5L7jdIMn5t
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>Did you read Barney's page?  If not the relevant section says:</p>
    <p>"<span
style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: &quot;Times New Roman&quot;; font-size: medium; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: justify; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-decoration-thickness: initial; text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color: initial; display: inline !important; float: none;">One
        of the key features here is that the light spring inside the
        slave cylinder will keep the train of working parts in intimate
        contact. There will be no clearance or backlash between the seal
        cup, piston, pushrod, release arm, release bearing, and the
        input thrust plate on the clutch cover. This mechanism is
        therefore self-adjusting to compensate for clutch wear and
        gradual change of position of the operating parts, The graphite
        faced release bearing will run with gentle intimate contact with
        the release thrust plate. Graphite against a smooth steel
        surface is self-lubricating, so it will last a long time before
        it wears out (perhaps 80,000 miles or more)."</span></p>
    <p>It's not physically possible for the hydraulic system to take up
      play in part of that train without taking up play in all of it. 
      You can test this for yourself by using the release arm to push
      the push-rod all the way into the cylinder, then release it.  It
      should slowly move back, while it is moving there is free play in
      the linkage, when it stops there should be none.  If yours doesn't
      do that then the slave piston is sticking or the spring is missing
      or broken.  Make sure you have enough space in the master
      reservoir before doing that to prevent an overflow, but with a
      combined reservoir that is less likely to happen than with the
      small clutch-only reservoir on the MGB.</p>
    <p>PaulH.<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 31/10/2023 18:33, Eric Russell
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr"><br>
        <div class="gmail_default" style="">Yes, the hydraulic clutch
          will compensate for wear in the *clutch* components. But wear
          in the operating parts (like the slave's pushrod/clevis)
          results in lost motion - the first bit of movement of the
          slave cylinder will only take up the slack and not actually
          move the clutch fork. </div>
      </div>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------Gl34WaAs0MshPt5L7jdIMn5t--

--===============1647936217972925326==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/[email-masked]

--===============1647936217972925326==--