Subject: [Morgans] 4/4 Glass wing mounting

From: "wbeech" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 14:13:49 -0500

Good day all,
 
Preparing to be ready shortly to hang the fibreglass wings on the freshly
painted body of the '67 4/4 and would like to solicit the collective wisdom
of the list members.   Due to these not being steel, I am thinking that it
might be wise to sandwich the wing between two 1/16" or 1/8" thickness
rubber fender washers, backed up by a steel fender washer on the bolthead
end.
 
I do have the black rubber welt/bead strip that goes on the edges as well.
 
Might there be an alternative recommendation?
 
All the best,
Bill B
1967 4/4 2-Seater 1600
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 08:54:31 -0400

>rubber fender washers, backed up by a steel fender washer on the bolthead

Bill,

That sure sounds like a smart idea to me.  I don't see any problem 
with it except
at a show, you might get docked a few points for it if the judge 
notices it or there are several Morgans there.  But I don't know that 
I'd worry about that.  I'd be
looking to protect the integrity.

That being said, I don't know that it really is required.  The inside 
of the fender is
supported its entire length by either sitting on the inner fender 
panel, or by being
screwed up to the sill plate under the door.  Then the heavy front of 
the fender
is supported by the strut on the front suspension member.  So the 
bolts are mearly there to keep the fender in place not to support 
it.  So there shouldn't be
much stress at the bolt holes.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]