Subject: [Tigers] White paint - Non Tiger

From: "Stu Brennan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 18:00:10 -0400 s=q20121106; t=1364680815; bh=TNP+MXUFXtndqpcsPSaBfkfoSXHE29lq/ipbQbR6LcE=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=gpb12+wxWkkUbKb+eSpANmbRXmILDsqbPcrNuo5IWZGc7oZeBsXL7vAjh8sdIeI3z 8x8saCWFFxOS9qwtlI9dbGpNgn8vs8SN8PmD1lfML7BMNAc6hI7/MV461sPYS8XI9Q p4C4XTpAr7rp9ljBBz/9SqYBVlU1+sQklFR7waLZWiIsagoM4vsVzcZK1odjNO8f3q LNHx/t4+SyKF98QFXbkzy2oEgm9XVGiDRWnNEpiQumO1AsmiPjUywBM3inw5amn3Au mR8tF502Jy6Yv9zoJxsaVVaGSYXi/zyYcRc43d+6cxH1N2uWnWoKcDwL1vuRozmJSK WD8uEKzctXO1A==

We have this white 2003 Ford Escape and the white paint is flaking off the 
roof.  It spent most of its life in the northeast, and only one winter in 
central Florida.  Since this started, I think I've noticed a few other white 
cars, not all Fords IIRC, that had white paint flaking off.  I don't mean 
its from rust underneath, the primer seems intact.

So does anyone know if there is some chronic problem with white paint in 
general?  The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking at a used car for a DD, 
that has everything right, except it is white...

Stu 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 19:02:27 -0400 (EDT)

Stu,
I would check with Ford to see if there was an "unadvertised" recall for  
defective paint. Jeep had one yrs. ago and was repainting cars that were 7-8  
yrs. old. I think the problem is with the clear coat. When that goes the 
paint  goes next. BTW, I've had white cars with no problems.  With Jeep it was 
 dark colors....black and dark gray.
Mark L

In a message dated 3/30/2013 6:03:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

roof.  It spent most of its life in the northeast, and only one  winter in 
central Florida.  Since this started, I think I've noticed  a few other 
white 
cars, not all Fords IIRC, that had white paint flaking  off.  I don't mean 
its from rust underneath, the primer seems  intact.

So does anyone know if there is some chronic problem with white  paint in 
general?  The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking at a  used car for a 
DD, 
that has everything right, except it is  white...

Stu  

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 16:31:00 -0700

Yes, I have seen the same thing (peeling paint, with primer intact) and yes,
it seems more prevalent on white vehicles of varying brands. I notice it
mostly on trucks and vans in the late 90's to early new millennium. I've
been told (but am no expert myself) that the problem is the water based
paints they use.  I'm also told water based paint is the cause of much of
the peeling clear coat too.  Tom

> white cars, not all Fords IIRC, that had white paint flaking off.  I don't 
> mean its from rust underneath, the primer seems intact.
>
> DD, that has everything right, except it is white...
>
> Stu

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 09:44:04 -0400

Stu
	All of today's vehicles are basecoat - clearcoat.  As I understand
any color can peel if the paint process goes wrong.   Dodge Neon blue for a
long time it was common for that color to flake.  I saw one Neon with half
the clearcoat peeled off.  I have seen Ford blue and GM blue, red and green
with this problem.  I can't say I've seen white flaking but you need to be
closer to white to see that; the other colors are obvious.

	As I understand the problem - the basecoat is too thin - the primer
is UV sensitive so the primer starts to pop the paint off.

Check all the surfaces for any flaked off paint - if it starts in one place
it will just continue to flake the paint.

Check for any paint recalls or problems on AllData.com or other sources.

Look for other similar vehicles to see if the paint is flaking off.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Stu Brennan
Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2013 6:00 PM
To: Tiger Net
Subject: [Tigers] White paint - Non Tiger

Stu

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]