Subject: [Tigers] Tigers - which Pentastar?

From: "rande" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 08:27:01 -0400

Lee asked which finish is the correct 'pentastar' for the Tiger and Alpine.
My old recolllection is that it's a faded gold with the black lines at the bottom
of each star arm.

Again, this is solely my recollection, and it may be confused with the pentastars
on the American-built Chrysler cars, but the one which looks closest on eBay
is an NOS part listed by seller 
"retiredfirechief" under the search 'Chrysler Pentastar'. If I have any immediate
doubts about this one, it's that the seller describes it as measuring one inch
across, and from memory that seems a little two large.

It would be swell if someone with what they feel is an original pentastar could
at least measure theres to confirm the width, and extra points would be given
for whether it has similar attaching studs to the eBay part and whether it has
a black vinyl/rubber gasket behnd it.

I know I'm going to get a little pushback from two factions: the
"I've seen a lot of useless trivia on this site, but this..."crowd and the "I
just got home from hospital for back surgery, and you want me to bend down and
look at that badge...I'll never get up" crowd.

Rande
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: David or Gary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 17:13:55 GMT FILETIME=[D05D9E10:01CE1E7B]

There are about 4 different Chrysler fender Pentastars, I believe only
one is correct for the Tiger. 
The two Pentastars which would possibly be correct for a 1967 and
earlier Rootes car are the one piece all metal (aluminum) version and
plastic two piece version with a aluminum insert. I don't know which
version was used on the Tiger, but the plastic one is a later Chrysler
replacement. When I ordered some of these from Rootes/Chrysler in the
late 70's they were in Rootes bags with the correct Rootes part number,
but were the later plastic version. I was never able to get any early
metal (aluminum) versions from Rootes/Chrysler or directly from
Chrysler. I believe Chrysler went to the plastic version in the 1970's.
Below are pictures of the two types. I have seen the metal version with
and without the rubber cushion on the back. I don't know if the Tiger
had the cushion. 
The early metal (aluminum) Pentastar is gold colored with the star and
outside edges painted black (the black paint will wear off over time
leaving an all gold emblem, or even silver if worn enough). The later
Pentastar has a black plastic body with a gold colored metal insert
(which can fall out), Note later versions of this plastic version have a
more gold/bronze color insert. 
The early metal Pentastar is held on with a nut, the plastic one has a
plastic friction fastener. Since Chrysler switched from an all metal
version to plastic in the 70's or late 60's I believe the Tiger should
have the early all metal Pentastar. If members want to closely examine
there original cars, and see which they have, we might be able to
confirm what was original. 

David Franchi 
-
An Original Chrysler (note from Rootes/Chrysler) with package, front
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/8721018/135106857.jpg 

-
Original Chrysler with package rear 
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/8721018/135106852.jpg 

-
Metal left-Plastic right later bronze color
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/8721018/161990305.jpg 

-
Rear Metal left-Plastic right 
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/8721018/161990312.jpg 

-
Side Metal left-Plastic right 
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/8721018/161990316.jpg 

-
Rear Metal left-Plastic right 
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/8721018/161990322.jpg 

-
Rubber cushion on Metal version 
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/8721018/405936341.jpg 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]