Subject: [Tigers] Reversing lamp wiring

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 04:27:22 +0000 (UTC)

I am planning to install reversing lamps when the motor and trans are re-installed in my Mark IA. My shifter is a Hurst competition plus and I have the Hurst switch made for it that triggers the lights when reverse is engaged. 

I seem to remember from somewhere that the factory wiring harness may have wires already in it for such lamps. If so, where do I access the power to the switch and route it back to the bundle to get to the lights? 

If there are not wires currently in the harness, where do people pick up the power and how do they route it to the lamps? One possibility that occurs to me is to tap into the line that feeds the fuel pump. 

Any information on exactly where they should be located on the rear valence under the fender would also be appreciated. BTW, the lamps I have are similar the rectangular Wipacs, but are made by Lucas (same ones that were used on the DB4's I believe). 

Thanks, 

Gene 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 09:22:29 -0500

Gene
	Difficult to get to the wires right now but here is what I remember.

Reversing lamps - green wire to the switch - green/ brown wire from switch
to lamps - see Sunbeam wire diagram in Shop Manual.

Wire connector should be at the left kick panel with the harness that run to
the rear of the car.
I ran the wires for the switch under the carpet to the left side.

I don't believe there is a wire for the lamps running to the rear.  I think
all of that would be in the Lamp Kit.
You need to add the wire to the back along the wire harness at the bottom of
the left door sill.  Run the new wire across with the fuel cross over pipe.
I believe the right tail light wire harness is there.

Make connections for the reversing lamps and add ground wires

Connect battery - check lamp function.

I believe that is correct.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2013 11:27 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Reversing lamp wiring

I am planning to install reversing lamps when the motor and trans are
re-installed in my Mark IA. My shifter is a Hurst competition plus and I
have the Hurst switch made for it that triggers the lights when reverse is
engaged.

I seem to remember from somewhere that the factory wiring harness may have
wires already in it for such lamps. If so, where do I access the power to
the switch and route it back to the bundle to get to the lights?

If there are not wires currently in the harness, where do people pick up the
power and how do they route it to the lamps? One possibility that occurs to
me is to tap into the line that feeds the fuel pump.

Any information on exactly where they should be located on the rear valence
under the fender would also be appreciated. BTW, the lamps I have are
similar the rectangular Wipacs, but are made by Lucas (same ones that were
used on the DB4's I believe).

Thanks,

Gene

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 04:18:39 +0000 (UTC)

Nick, Rande, Micheal, Ron, and Dave, 

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond and the info from all of you. Nick's very explicit dimensions are especially helpful, as are description and the pics Rande sent me directly, being the List does not pass pics along (yet). 

I have one remaining point of confusion. The dimensions that Nick gives closely match the location of dimples for the lights in a MarkII rear valence as I was able to deduct them in a pic that Rande sent. However, when I hold the light in that mounting position, it looks as though the outside edge of the lamp is almost vertically above the inboard side of my 2 inch exhaust pipe tip. That seems curiously close. 

Would anyone with a Mark II please confirm their Wipac lights are that close to the exhaust pipe? I realize I can give my lights a bit more clearance if I want, but if I am going to deviate from the standard, I would like at least to know the deviation is not being done out of ignorance! 

Thanks again everyone, 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scattt" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked], [email-masked] 
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:13:18 PM 
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Reversing lamp wiring 

The lights on the Mk-II are mounted 3-5/8 inches down from the horizonital 
surface of the rear valance. They are 21-3/4 inches from each other. The 
Mk-II has a green wire origionating at the fuse block for power. I guess you 
could pick up power from the fuel pump wire although you could also take it 
from the red tail light wire. It would only work when the lights are on 
then. The wires to the switch feed behind the drivers seat and through the 
rear bulkhead on the left side of the console. There should be an existing 
hole plug in that location. The wire feeds forward through the Alpine 
exhaust hole to the switch. On the Mk-II there are tabs to secure the wires 
like the tabs on the fuel/brake lines. Hope this helps. 
Nick 
----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]> 
To: <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2013 11:27 PM 
Subject: [Tigers] Reversing lamp wiring 

> If there are not wires currently in the harness, where do people pick up 
> the power and how do they route it to the lamps? One possibility that 
> occurs to me is to tap into the line that feeds the fuel pump. 
> 
> Any information on exactly where they should be located on the rear 
> valence under the fender would also be appreciated. BTW, the lamps I have 
> are similar the rectangular Wipacs, but are made by Lucas (same ones that 
> were used on the DB4's I believe). 
> 
> Thanks, 
> 
> Gene 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html 
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums 
> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked] 

[email-masked]