Subject: [Tigers] Girling Red Brake Grease

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 14:15:57 -0700

I have the Tiger's servo open and I'm going to regrease the large seal.

I see that the "correct" grease is stated as Girling Red Brake Grease.  It
is close to impossible to find - unless you call Sunbeam Specialties of
course!

But before I called them, I was searching the internet.  I found there is a
TRW Brake Grease that was made to be a replacement.  I don't know if it is
better than the red grease or not.  But, it does not seem to be any easier
to find.

In my search, I did come across an odd site that listed substitutes.  For
the TRW Brake Grease, it actually lists it as "TRW/Lucas Brake Grease
PFG110."  I thought it was interesting that it included Lucas in the name.
It also lists these two as alternatives:  SLIPKOTE 211 Silicone Disc Brake
Caliper Grease or SLIPKOTE 220-R with PTFE Disc Brake Caliper Grease.

So, I did a search for brake caliper grease and came up with this stuff
which appears to be more readily available:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CRC0/05359.oap?pt=N0448

My assumption is that if we can still get red brake grease, it is likely
better than the substitutes - as the substitutes are probably less toxic,
but not as good of a product.  I also note that this brake grease says it
is for lots of things that may or may not apply.  That said, I'm not sure
that the red grease that we can buy is the same as what it used to be.

So, does anyone think this stuff is actually better and should be used
instead?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]