Subject: [Tigers] Air cleaner choking?

From: Jay Laifman via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 11:41:57 -0800

I started the Tiger yesterday for the first time in admittedly a bit too long
- couple months.  It started right up.  But then unless I was pumping on the
pedal, it would die.  So gas was getting there and the accelerator pump was
working.  I tried a number of times.  Each time, it snap to a start, but same
problem.  I then took the top off the air cleaner and started it again.  This
time, perfect. Purred like a kitten.  So I put the cover back on.  When I
tightened it down, pow, stopped running again.  I found that if I lightly put
on the nut, it would run fine.  If I tightened it firmly down (and this is
only with my fingers), it would die.

This makes no sense to me!

It is a K&N filter that I cleaned within the year.  So it has very few miles
or dirt on it.

Thoughts?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: CoolVT--- via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 15:54:36 -0500

If you have done nothing to the car since the last time you started it then 
 I think you should look for issues that can arise from storage.  Most  
mechanical things probably haven't changed.  
Bad gas or plugged carb passages from bad gas?  

In a message dated 2/15/2015 2:42:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

I  started the Tiger yesterday for the first time in admittedly a bit too  
long
- couple months.  It started right up.  But then unless I  was pumping on 
the
pedal, it would die.  So gas was getting there and  the accelerator pump was
working.  I tried a number of times.   Each time, it snap to a start, but 
same
problem.  I then took the top  off the air cleaner and started it again.  
This
time, perfect. Purred  like a kitten.  So I put the cover back on.  When I
tightened it  down, pow, stopped running again.  I found that if I lightly 
put
on  the nut, it would run fine.  If I tightened it firmly down (and this  is
only with my fingers), it would die.

It is a K&N filter that I cleaned within the year.  So it  has very few 
miles
or dirt on  it.

Thoughts?

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Ron Fraser via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 16:14:17 -0500

Jay
	I suggest you remove the filter then put the cover on to see if
there is an interference issue.  Tighten the nut down and see if the top
cover is pressing on the choke plate.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jay Laifman
via Tigers
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2015 2:42 PM
To: Tiger Autox
Subject: [Tigers] Air cleaner choking?

I started the Tiger yesterday for the first time in admittedly a bit too
long
- couple months.  It started right up.  But then unless I was pumping on the
pedal, it would die.  So gas was getting there and the accelerator pump was
working.  I tried a number of times.  Each time, it snap to a start, but
same problem.  I then took the top off the air cleaner and started it again.
This time, perfect. Purred like a kitten.  So I put the cover back on.  When
I tightened it down, pow, stopped running again.  I found that if I lightly
put on the nut, it would run fine.  If I tightened it firmly down (and this
is only with my fingers), it would die.

Thoughts?

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Ron Fraser via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 16:48:17 -0500

Jay

Good catch.

Feb 2015, Hot Rod Magazine, Wrenchin' @ Random states the vent tubes should
be minimum 3/8" below the top cover.

Check to see if your vent tubes can be pressed down into the top of the
carb.

The Holley 500 I have around here has 1 vent tube with a steep angle slash
cut that starts at the top of the carb mount for that tube; maybe a 60 to 70
degree angle cut.  The tube only sticks up about 3/8" from the top of the
carb.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jay Laifman
via Tigers
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:25 PM
To: Bob Hokanson
Cc: Tigers
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Air cleaner choking?

It looks like Bob had it.  I could not see any sign of the flap/butterfly
hitting the underside of the air cleaner top.  But there were very obvious
round circles where the vent tubes rose up.  And those tubes seemed slightly
higher than the flap.

The car ran just fine after that - with the nut looser than it was.

Now my only problem is that when I leave the nut loose enough to not push
the top down on the tubes, it continues to get loose, until it will come
off.  So, I need to make some sort of tube that will go around the mounting
bolt which will allow me to tighten down the nut firmly, but not to where
the tubes or flap have issues.

I don't know Holleys.  I'm assuming those tubes are the intake/vents where
the air goes into the idle/main needles to get the air mixture.  If so, I
wonder if it makes sense to cut them down a bit, just to make sure there is
enough clearance.  Ironically, on my Webers on my Porsche, there are
aftermarket tubes that people ADD there, so that oil and other gunk doesn't
flow down into the idle jets through the air passageway which is otherwise
flat on the top of the carb.

Jay

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Bob Hokanson via Tigers <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Check the clearance between the top of your air cleaner housing and
> the carburetor vent tube.
>
> Bob H
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Jay Laifman via Tigers
> Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2015 11:41 AM
> To: Tiger Autox
> - couple months.  It started right up.  But then unless I was pumping
> on the pedal, it would die.  So gas was getting there and the
> accelerator pump was working.  I tried a number of times.  Each time,
> it snap to a start, but same
> miles or dirt on it.
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/jay.laifman@
> gmail.com

[email-masked]

[email-masked]