Subject: Re: [Tigers] Air cleaner choking?

From: genepadgett--- via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 20:30:29 +0000 (UTC)

FWIW, I have noticed that with the thin K&N element, the choke flap has been
rubbing against the air cleaner lid a bit.B B  Maybe yours is hanging up on
the top of the air cleaner housing when the housing is tightened down, messing
up the air flow and A/F ratio.B B  Look for some rub marks on the inside of
the air cleaner top.
Just an idea.B B  Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: "Jay Laifman via Tigers" <[email-masked]>
To: "Tiger Autox" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2015 1:41:57 PM
Subject: [Tigers] Air cleaner choking?

I started the Tiger yesterday for the first time in admittedly a bit too long
- couple months. B It started right up. B But then unless I was pumping on the
pedal, it would die. B So gas was getting there and the accelerator pump was
working. B I tried a number of times. B Each time, it snap to a start, but
same
problem. B I then took the top off the air cleaner and started it again.
B This
time, perfect. Purred like a kitten. B So I put the cover back on. B When I
tightened it down, pow, stopped running again. B I found that if I lightly put
on the nut, it would run fine. B If I tightened it firmly down (and this is
only with my fingers), it would die.

This makes no sense to me!

It is a K&N filter that I cleaned within the year. B So it has very few miles
or dirt on it.

Thoughts?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Hokanson via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 14:21:47 -0800

Check the clearance between the top of your air cleaner housing and the 
carburetor vent tube.

Bob H

-----Original Message----- 
From: Jay Laifman via Tigers
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2015 11:41 AM
To: Tiger Autox
Subject: [Tigers] Air cleaner choking?

I started the Tiger yesterday for the first time in admittedly a bit too 
long
- couple months.  It started right up.  But then unless I was pumping on the
pedal, it would die.  So gas was getting there and the accelerator pump was
working.  I tried a number of times.  Each time, it snap to a start, but 
same
problem.  I then took the top off the air cleaner and started it again. 
This
time, perfect. Purred like a kitten.  So I put the cover back on.  When I
tightened it down, pow, stopped running again.  I found that if I lightly 
put
on the nut, it would run fine.  If I tightened it firmly down (and this is
only with my fingers), it would die.

It is a K&N filter that I cleaned within the year.  So it has very few miles
or dirt on it.

Thoughts?

[email-masked]

---

From: Jay Laifman via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 13:25:15 -0800

It looks like Bob had it.  I could not see any sign of the flap/butterfly
hitting the underside of the air cleaner top.  But there were very obvious
round circles where the vent tubes rose up.  And those tubes seemed
slightly higher than the flap.

The car ran just fine after that - with the nut looser than it was.

Now my only problem is that when I leave the nut loose enough to not push
the top down on the tubes, it continues to get loose, until it will come
off.  So, I need to make some sort of tube that will go around the mounting
bolt which will allow me to tighten down the nut firmly, but not to where
the tubes or flap have issues.

I don't know Holleys.  I'm assuming those tubes are the intake/vents where
the air goes into the idle/main needles to get the air mixture.  If so, I
wonder if it makes sense to cut them down a bit, just to make sure there is
enough clearance.  Ironically, on my Webers on my Porsche, there are
aftermarket tubes that people ADD there, so that oil and other gunk doesn't
flow down into the idle jets through the air passageway which is otherwise
flat on the top of the carb.

Jay

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Bob Hokanson via Tigers <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> -----Original Message----- From: Jay Laifman via Tigers
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/jay.laifman@
> gmail.com

[email-masked]

---

From: "Smit, Theo via Tigers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 21:29:41 +0000

Hey Jay,
An easy fix is to angle a segment of the tube tip so that even if the air
cleaner sits flat on top of it, it can9t choke off the opening.
However, you might have to partially disassemble the carb in order to get
the tube out so you can file an edge without getting debris into the carb
passages.

I don9t know Holleys well enough to tell you what is possible there - and,
given there are a lot of different variants, some carbs may let you do
this more easily than others.
Theo

On 2015-02-17, 2:25 PM, "Jay Laifman via Tigers" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential
and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by
someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 17:38:50 -0400

Jay:

I had that problem and solved it with a couple of extra gaskets under the 
air filter housing. Good luck with this.

Dave

-----Original Message----- 
From: Jay Laifman via Tigers
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 5:25 PM
To: Bob Hokanson
Cc: Tigers
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Air cleaner choking?

[email-masked]