Subject: [Tigers] Windshields . . .

From: Lon Walters via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 13:24:38 -0700

Tiger long gone, but still a lurker on the site. Always good info.

Windshields: Had a horrid time finding a front one for an Italian car I was
attempting to restore.  Cheapest was almost $1900 plus shipping, then told
me the rear was unobtainium at any price.  The car is long gone, but have
always been puzzled by the fact that many say it can't be done or they are
not available.  I didn't start the search to manufacture one before the car
went, but figured street rodders have custom windshields installed all the
time as they slice and dice cars.  I'm at a loss why this is such a big deal
for other cars.  I recall there was a firm in Mexico that would make a legal
seamless windshield for my '37 Buick street rod for $400.  That was ten
years ago.  Surely the technology has come a long way since then.

Jus' sayin'

Lon

----
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Witt via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 18:15:52 -0800

From what I have heard it is not cheap to make windshields in short runs. 
And, I was told that they had to be certified (thus tested-broken) to meet 
specifications. Here is a You Tube video that shows the process. I find it 
odd that there is not some type of plastic that is suitable. After all don't 
motorcycles some airplanes and race cars have plastic windshields?  They 
must have some wiping device to clear the screen in wet weather without 
scratching. For a "hobby" car that likely will see little to no driving in 
the rain it seems practical.  A few weeks ago I saw a modified Citroen that 
had a plastic windshield that was driven into the car show.  Today I wonder 
how many in law enforcement even know it is illegal.

   I recall seeing how they keep the cars in Cuba on the road in the 
documentary "Yank Tanks." It showed an iron plate shaped like a windshield. 
Whether they had the final glass tempered, dual pane with the internal 
plastic sheet I do not know.  But apparently they put glass on the plate and 
heated it until it conformed to the needed shape. So, if we open trade with 
Cuba..., think of the possibilities.  I've also seen on You Tube where 
routers with a diamond bit are used to cut down windshields. It was an all 
day affair.  Flat glass doesn't seem to be a problem and with a car like the 
Tiger I'm sure someone is creative enough to form a decent flat paneled 
frame - if it even came to it.

----

Jus' sayin'

Lon

----

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3495 / Virus Database: 4257/9115 - Release Date: 02/14/15 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]