Subject: Re: [Tigers] Windshield Glass

From: Tom Witt via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 18:32:59 -0800

If they are the same then it is a bonanza to the Caravelle folks.  The 
Alpine/Tiger windshield I found for $139.  The Caravelle..., $745 plus $80 
shipping from a vendor named "Mr. Fiat." So, that would be no advantage to 
the Alpine/Tiger folks.

But, yes, they do look similar. The glass matching can be tricky though. I 
have a '64 Studebaker Daytona. The difference between the sedan and the 
convertible/wagon models is a barely noticeable 1/2" in the far upper 
corners.  So, you can be that..., close and still not.  The Studebaker 
windshield is almost impossible to find and I eventually settled on the 
convertible/wagon glass with the corners cut back.  The guy used an angle 
grinder and then I smoothed the edges with a Dremel and a v-e-r-y light 
touch.

-----Original Message----- 
From: Robert D. Hogan via Tigers
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2015 5:19 PM
To: LIST TIGER
Subject: [Tigers] Windshield Glass

I could be mistaken but I noticed the windshield glass on a 1962 Renault
Caravelle that was shown in the February 12 Bring a Trailer Daily Mail
seems to be identical to the Tiger's windshield.  The rake angle and corner
radii in particular look the same.  Does anyone know if Rootes used a
windshield that was in common with other vehicles' windshields?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3495 / Virus Database: 4257/9107 - Release Date: 02/13/15 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Robert D. Hogan via Tigers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 11:05:34 -0500

Implied but not stated was the concern that the supply of Tiger windshields
may be small and as the years progress the knowledge of what cars may have
similar enough geometry for adaptation could become important.  I don't
know enough about the windshield glass manufacturing capabilities to know
if Tiger windshields can be reproduced without some major tooling
investment.  Perhaps, its just one of those Tiger owner phobias of "OMG,
there are no more of those parts available."  Pricing, but not functional
importance, could become as secondary as the current Tiger II wheel opening
trim is now.

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 9:32 PM, Tom Witt via Tigers <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> -----Original Message----- From: Robert D. Hogan via Tigers
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/atwittsend@
> verizon.net
>
>
>
>
> -----
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/robertdhogan@
> gmail.com

[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Witt via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 16:16:00 -0800

I hear you on those concerns. Maybe someone on the list has knowledge of the
long term availability.  After my Studebaker ordeal (year and a half looking,
having to settle for scratched/bull's eyed glass that was 400 miles away) I
buy windshields for my older cars when I can get them (Pick A Part 50% off
sales they are $20 out the door). Last night I caught some U-Tube videos on
British cars.  This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uz40aYDzZo  regarded
Hillmanbs and Sunbeambs. At about the 6:35 mark it is commented that the
guy has about 15 spare windscreens..., never had one break and is considering
a bclear-outb someday. LOL  I guess hebs a bPrepperb of the
vehicular kind.

From: Robert D. Hogan
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2015 8:05 AM
To: Tom Witt
Cc: LIST TIGER
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Windshield Glass

Implied but not stated was the concern that the supply of Tiger windshields
may be small and as the years progress the knowledge of what cars may have
similar enough geometry for adaptation could become important.  I don't know
enough about the windshield glass manufacturing capabilities to know if Tiger
windshields can be reproduced without some major tooling investment.  Perhaps,
its just one of those Tiger owner phobias of "OMG, there are no more of those
parts available."  Pricing, but not functional importance, could become as
secondary as the current Tiger II wheel opening trim is now.

  If they are the same then it is a bonanza to the Caravelle folks.  The
Alpine/Tiger windshield I found for $139.  The Caravelle..., $745 plus $80
shipping from a vendor named "Mr. Fiat." So, that would be no advantage to the
Alpine/Tiger folks.

  But, yes, they do look similar. The glass matching can be tricky though. I
have a '64 Studebaker Daytona. The difference between the sedan and the
convertible/wagon models is a barely noticeable 1/2" in the far upper corners.
So, you can be that..., close and still not.  The Studebaker windshield is
almost impossible to find and I eventually settled on the convertible/wagon
glass with the corners cut back.  The guy used an angle grinder and then I
smoothed the edges with a Dremel and a v-e-r-y light touch.

[email-masked]

---

From: michael king via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 11:21:39 +1100

While I'm normally on the buy when available side I only keep 1 spare
screen. The alpine and tiger screens are relatively cheap and not that hard
to manufacture. Triple X in UK still makes them (though a few years ago
there was a bad batch where they set them down to early while hot and they
flattened out to much to fit) but they keep stock... In Australian we have
2 companies that make both early and late style alpine screens and will do
them in runs as low as 5 for a reasonable price.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]