Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 15, Issue 109

From: "bob hermitagewood.com via Tigers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 23:42:11 +0000

--===============5833205467859870865==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_DM5PR20MB157838B629DF8D0BB7DBCD1EA5389DM5PR20MB1578namp_"

--_000_DM5PR20MB157838B629DF8D0BB7DBCD1EA5389DM5PR20MB1578namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Joel,
     You have it correct.   I'm betting you have a non-stock master, has yo=
ur car been converted to a dual master cylinder?   I ran into the same prob=
lem recently, when upgrading to a 280zx master cylinder for 4 wheel discs. =
    The Datsun master was used with a booster, it never needed room between=
 the clip and the piston for the pushrod retaining washer.    This meant th=
e piston wouldn't retract enough to open the port to the reservoir, and the=
 brakes were perpetually locked (or in my case, un-bleed-able).

In the end, I ended up swapping to a different master, which had room for t=
he retaining washer.    Another option might be to shorten the piston by th=
e thickness of the washer.    I've not tried that, but it makes sense.

Having the pushrod attached into the master with the retaining washer is th=
e right way to do it.   The brake light switch some have suggested would pr=
obably work, but many of those switches are plastic, and none are meant to =
do that job.    I'd just feel safer with the pushrod attached properly, but=
 that's just me.   Best of luck.

--Bob Burruss
Tiger #382000782

________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 22:37:49 +0000 (UTC)
From: Joel Martin <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 15, Issue 103

 Now I am confused. ?Take out circle clip , insert plunger, then washer, re=
insert ?circle clip, dust boot, return spring, 3/4 cup. ?Place u end of plu=
nger in brake pedal, insert Clovis pin, insert cotter.
Brakes are now engaged and locked up with no pedal being applied.
What is going on? ?Ideas?
Thanks

***************************************

--_000_DM5PR20MB157838B629DF8D0BB7DBCD1EA5389DM5PR20MB1578namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bo=
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size=
: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
Joel,</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size=
: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; You have it correct.&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm betting you h=
ave a non-stock master, has your car been converted to a dual master cylind=
er?&nbsp;&nbsp; I ran into the same problem recently, when upgrading to a 2=
80zx master cylinder for 4 wheel discs.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Datsun =
master was used with
 a booster, it never needed room between the clip and the piston for the pu=
shrod retaining washer.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; This meant the piston wouldn't re=
tract enough to open the port to the reservoir, and the brakes were perpetu=
ally locked (or in my case, un-bleed-able).<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size=
: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size=
: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
In the end, I ended up swapping to a different master, which had room for t=
he retaining washer.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Another option might be to shorten t=
he piston by the thickness of the washer.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I've not tried =
that, but it makes sense.&nbsp;&nbsp;
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size=
: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size=
: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
Having the pushrod attached into the master with the retaining washer is th=
e right way to do it.&nbsp;&nbsp; The brake light switch some have suggeste=
d would probably work, but many of those switches are plastic, and none are=
 meant to do that job.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'd just feel safer
 with the pushrod attached properly, but that's just me.&nbsp;&nbsp; Best o=
f luck.</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size=
: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size=
: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
--Bob Burruss</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size=
: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
Tiger #382000782<br>
</div>
<div id=3D"appendonsend"></div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size=
: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<hr tabindex=3D"-1" style=3D"display:inline-block; width:98%">
----------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
<div class=3D"BodyFragment"><font size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt"=
<div class=3D"PlainText"><br>
Message: 1<br>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 22:37:49 +0000 (UTC)<br>
From: Joel Martin &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 15, Issue 103<br>
<br>
&nbsp;Now I am confused. ?Take out circle clip , insert plunger, then washe=
r, reinsert ?circle clip, dust boot, return spring, 3/4 cup. ?Place u end o=
f plunger in brake pedal, insert Clovis pin, insert cotter.<br>
Brakes are now engaged and locked up with no pedal being applied.<br>
What is going on? ?Ideas?<br>
Thanks<br>
</div>
<div class=3D"PlainText"><br>
</div>
<div class=3D"PlainText">***************************************<br>
</div>
</span></font></div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_DM5PR20MB157838B629DF8D0BB7DBCD1EA5389DM5PR20MB1578namp_--

--===============5833205467859870865==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============5833205467859870865==--