Subject: [Vintage-race] Gear recertification questions <vintage-race.autox.team.net>

From: David Franks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 19:42:20 -0800

SVRA sanctioned the Portland Historic Races for the first time last year and
leading up to the event there were lots of questions related to some of
their safety regulations. To increase entries they did loosen up some
requirements (FIA Fuel Cell, etc.) and more closely aligned with the local
vintage sanctioning groups. I recently received information that lists
recertification of safety equipment including HANS Devices and arm
restraints (an excerpt from the SVRA site is listed below). I have been
running with other West coast vintage groups and SCCA for over 15 years and
have never seen such an extensive list of recertification requirements. I am
an SCCA Steward and Tech Inspector and we look for initial certification and
that the gear is maintained in good condition.

Questions: Do other vintage groups require recertification for such an
extensive list of equipment every five years? Where does one send of gear
for recertification, how long does it take and what are cost estimates?

Safety Equipment:

A: Driving Apparel:

All drivers are required to wear a suit that covers his or her entire body
from neck to wrists and ankles. Drivers must also wear fire resistant
gloves, socks, and shoes. Drivers with facial hair must wear a fire
retardant hood (balaclava).

Driving suits, underwear, gloves, socks and shoes must be certified by SFI
or FIA.

SFI certified Driving suits must have SFI3.2A/1 rating or higher (3.2A/3,
3.2A/5, 3.2A/10 3.2A/15, or 3.2A/20). Suits rated SFI3.2A/10 or higher will
require recertification every 5 years.

Driver suits with a SFI3.2A/1 and SFI3.2A/3 rating must be used with fire
retardant underwear. SFI 3.2A/1 suits offer minimum protection (rated for
only 3 seconds); it is highly recommended that these suits be replaced with
a higher rated suit.

FIA certified driver9s suit must have a homologation label of FIA 8856-2000.

Underwear must be made to SFI 3.3 and or FIA 8856-2000 specification.

Socks must be made to SFI 3.3 and or FIA 8856-2000 specification.

Shoes must be made to SFI 3.3 and or FIA 8856-2000 specification.

Gloves must be made to SFI 3.3 and or FIA 8856-2000 specification.

Regardless as to the rating of the suit, fire retardant Nomex or Carbon-X
underwear is strongly recommended.

ANY UNDERWEAR INCLUDING T-SHIRTS, BRAS, BOXERS, AND SOCKS MUST BE MADE OF A
FIRE RETARDANT MATERIAL. ITEMS SUCH AS COTTON UNDERWEAR OR UNDER ARMOUR ARE
NOT RECOMMENDED. USING THESE MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS BURNS IN THE EVENT OF A
FIRE.

B: Helmet

It is required that all drivers wear an automobile rated racing helmet of
SA2010 or SA2015 or the equivalent FIA specification 8860-2010. 3M2 rated
motorcycle helmets are not allowed. All drivers must wear adequate eye
protection.

Helmets showing signs of abuse or damage or that have been altered must be
replaced

C: Restraint System

All cars must be equipped with driver restraint systems with SFI or FIA
certification. SFI certification 16.1, 16.5, and 16.6 and FIA 8853/98 will
be accepted.

SFI Certification - SFI tagged restraint systems are punched with the month
and year of manufacturer. SFI 16.1, and 16.5 expire two (2) years after the
date of manufacture at the end of the month of manufacture as indicated on
the label. There should be labels on each harness - one on a shoulder belt,
one on lap belt and one sub-strap.

FIA certification - FIA tagged restraint systems have the expiration year
printed or stamped on tags. These harnesses are good for a period of 5 years
ending on December 31st of the year printed or stamped on the tags. There
should be one FIA tag on each element of the harness.

Properly certified harnesses meeting these specifications must be used at
all times. Out of date harnesses will no longer be allowed.

Replacement - Safety harnesses shall be replaced if out of date, or if
webbing is cut, frayed, faded, or has any visible damage. Harnesses must be
replaced if buckles are bent or cracked or the car had a severe impact.

Harnesses are to be installed per manufacturer9s instructions and SFI
Installation guide. See Appendix B

D: Head and Neck Restraint

All drivers except for pre-war must use a head and neck restraint system.
The head and neck restraint system must be certified by either SFI
certification 38.1 or FIA certification 8858-2002

.

Head and Neck Restraint Systems shall be inspected for recertification every
five years after the date of original certification. Product inspection,
maintenance, and/or replacement procedure is per individual manufacturer.
Inspection must be done by the original manufacturer only, and not their
authorized resellers or dealers. When a unit is determined by the
manufacturer to be acceptable for continued service and in compliance with
the current version of the specification, the original manufacturer shall
place on the product a new SFI 38.1 conformance label marked with the
inspection date along with new correctly dated tethers.

Devices that do not actually carry an SFI or FIA certification sticker are
not approved.

For HANS Device users, harness shoulder belt webbing must be in direct
contact with the yoke of the HANS; there shall not be any padding between
the shoulder harness webbing and the yoke of the HANS.

Properly certified head and neck restraints must be recertified after five
(5) years with a new sticker and new correctly dated tethers. Out of date
head and neck restraints will no longer be allowed.

E: Window Net

Sedans and Coupes, where possible, must have a window net installed on the
driver9s side. Both passenger and driver windows must be down. The window
net must be attached to the cage. All window nets must be SFI 27.1
certified. Net design must allow for one-handed removal in the event of an
accident. The use of tie straps or zip ties is prohibited. In the event cage
and car design prevent the installation of a window net, arm restraints are
required.

Window nets expire two (2) years after the date of manufacture at the end of
the month of manufacture indicated on the label. Nets with no label will be
considered out of date.

F: Arm Restraints

Arm restraints meeting SFI 3.3 specification must be used by all open wheel
race cars, sports racers, open (convertible) production cars, and sedans and
coupes that window nets cannot be installed in. Arm restraints should be
attached to the forearm and limit the movement of the driver9s hands to just
above the helmet.

G: Safety Nets - Racing Nets

Safety nets, interior nets, or roll cage nets are strongly recommended.
These nets are designed to catch head and shoulders in angled and side
impacts. The triangular shaped net should be attached to the roll cage
behind the seat with the upper part capturing the head just below the line
of sight, the lower part capturing at least 6 inches below the top of the
shoulder. The net should wrap around the seat a few inches to provide
additional support to the upper part of the seat. It should be attached to
the front part of the cage, the chassis, or a combination of both with a
quick release lever towards the front attachment point. Net must be SFI 37.1
certified or met FIA 8863-2013 standards and may be installed on both sides
of the driver.

SFI 37.1 Safety nets expire two (2) years after the date of manufacture at
the end of the month of manufacturer indicated on the label. FIA 8863-2013
safety nets expire 5 years from date of manufacturer. Nets with no label
will be considered out of date.

Thanks,

--
David Franks
[email-masked]
67 AH Sprite #82 Blue
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/vintage-race/[email-masked]