[6pack] ZDDP in Oil

emanteno at comcast.net emanteno at comcast.net
Wed Apr 16 13:16:49 MDT 2008

From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr at yahoo.com>

> I hate to belabor this topic since we have already beat up on it quite a bit
> but....... I thought the general consensus was that some of the racing oils
> such as Kendall and Valvoline have ZDDP in them (which is good) but there was
> some question as to whether or not the percentage of the ZDDP in these
> currently sold oils is as high as it was in oils sold before the big push to
> reduce ZDDP to increase catalytic converter life and decrease cam life in cars
> like ours with solid lifters. Does anyone know if these racing oils have enough
> ZDDP in them to meet the needs of our cars (or is as high as it was in the old
> days) which is most needed when installing a new cam and lifters?

I don't know about the others, but Kendall oil is no longer Kendall oil. I think the Kendall brand was sold to a major refinery, and Kendall cans now contain conventional oil. The oil that comes from the PA refinery that used to be Kendall, is now sold as Brad Penn racing oil, and they claim it is the same formulation in that distinctive green color as what used to come in Kendall containers. Including the ZDDP.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL