[6pack] Rear Hub part follow-up and wheel cylinder installation

Andrew Packard apackard68 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 30 00:41:35 MDT 2008

I believe I contacted all responders directly, but in case I didn't and to
thank the list as an incredible resource, I wanted to provide an update.

A list member from Ohio offered to send me two of his spare hubs off his
storage shelf to salvage the part I need.  Many thanks to all who responded
with many options to quickly solve my problem at significant cost savings.

In anticipation of my hubs being ready soon, I spent part of tonight
helicoiling my trailing arm studs.  It's a pretty simple yet tedious process
that should yield good results.  Does anyone recall the distance the studs
should extend from the trailing arm?  Mine are just under an inch when
tightened down.

On Sunday evening on my back patio, I tackled the real PITA job of securing
the rear wheel cylinders to the back plate.  Those three metal tabs, the
rubber boot, and a little extra thickness to the back plate due to powder
coating made it as difficult as ever.  I've done this job three times
previously, often with the result of a bent final tab that ends up never
being installed.  This time, though, using new securing tabs and some rubber
grease on the parts, I was able to get equally great results on each wheel
cylinder.  The final tab was still troublesome, and I did jab a screwdriver
into the palm of my hand while coercing the final tab into place, but the
end product was the best I've been able to do in all my efforts.  I sure
some of you can empathize with the pain of this task.

Still making slow steps forward with my resto.

Andy

CD6746L HVDA