[6pack] TR6 exhaust

Shawn J. Loseke sloseke at holly.colostate.edu
Sat Jan 5 08:55:56 MST 2008

>===== Original Message From "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster at hp.com> =====
>Based on what I am reading here there is some demand for a TR6 system that
>flows well, sounds appropriate for a street car driven on long trips (ie
>doesn't require you to wear ear plugs), wont rust and can be put together
with
>a good off the shelf header and doesn't cost $2000.
>
>It seems this can be done if you have the time and the resources and someone
>local that can fabricate the missing bits (ie another Project) but if you
want
>to buy something as a system it is either going to be too loud (Monza) or too
>inefficient (standard TR6) or too expensive for now (Rimmer).

I ran the Stainless Twin Sports system  available through Moss Motors
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=32838
with my old stock (internal) engine and still use it with my modified tri-carb
engine. So I have used it with both the dual downpipe manifold and a Group 44
style header. It seems to flow very well and the sound is excellent. Not near
as loud as a Monza system, plus instead of 'droning' at highway rpm's the
sound level actually drops down and is pretty quiet. When used with the header
and modified engine, everything got louder but it still quiets down to
acceptable levels when cruising.

Part of my reason for this system was aesthetics. I like the two big pipes
sticking out the back end. Some like four, thats all personal preference. The
larger single pipe performance systems do show a slight (approximately 8
horspower) advantage over the twin pipe systems. However, that advantage is
only seen above 5,000 RPM. While my engine does pull strong above 5,000 RPM
(dyno showed the horsepower peak at about 5,750 RPM), I don't spend enough
time above 5,000 RPM to miss that slight increase in power. If my car saw a
lot more track time (any at this point) that might change as every little bit
can help.

There's another opinion for the pile...

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO