[6pack] Fuel percolation

Erik Sulcs aktifspeed at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 09:51:30 MDT 2008

Hello Listers,

Last weekend I drove from NYC to Wash. DC and back.  It was over 95 degrees
on both Sat. and Sunday.  My 1974 car has the original Stromberg carbs and a
pair of aftermarket air filters.  The car drove exceptionally well except
for after driving for a few hours, I noticed that it almost wanted to
stall-out when I pulled over for gas.  I would have to keep blipping the
throttle to keep the revs up or it would have died.  Then, the problem would
have been starting it, as it would only crank and would have a very
difficult time starting.  If I'm not mistaken this is symptomatic of, "fuel
percolation".  Can someone explain exactly what that is and how can I avoid
it on our cars?
I've seen heat shields advertised by the big 3.  Does anyone have experience
with these?  Are they effective?
I almost became, "that guy" that stalled-out in the Lincoln Tunnel late
Sunday afternoon... not a good way to end the trip w/ my Mrs. to-be...