[6pack] Miata seat conversion

im sloane im_sloane at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 30 05:43:17 MDT 2008

Yes, Totally a cost issue for us. Take care of your original seats if you're
lucky enough to have a good pair. Our Miata seats look great and cost $60 at a
local junk yard + $30 for a professional cleaning. The Mazda design looks very
simlar to the 69-72 seat, which to me looks great on any year. They can be
difficult to find, but worth the hunt if you need them.  The originals will
get recovered and replaced some day.

BTW, as for mounting, I took an unorthodoxed approach to the conversion. I
fashioned a bracket to connect the Miata seats (minus the Miata rails) to the
Triumph seat rails using a 3 ft piece of angle-iron, cut into 4 pieces.
Basically made the bottom of the Miata seat look and function like the bottom
of the Triumph seat. It tilts forward, but of course doesn't have a catch to
connect at the rear. Only taken one test drive, so not sure how well the
design will hold up under extended use, but the fit seems just right.

Sloane :)