[6pack] Locked Engine

James Franks jimmble at roadrunner.com
Sat Mar 22 20:26:39 MST 2008

Explain what you mean by won't come out of gear. Is it say in third gear
and the shifter is jammed? Or is it more like the parking brake is on
where the wheels are locked?

All the solenoid does is port hydraulic fluid in the OD. any locked
situation is mechanical in nature.

Worst case is a fragged OD. Certainly not a solenoid, but possibly a
wrecked unidirectional clutch. Don't buy the car thinking it'll be a 200
dollar fix on the tranny. Pull the big plug off the bottom of the OD and
see if you get metal chunks coming out in the oil. If so, expect the
worst, that is a unit that may not be worth anything even as a core.

To tow it get under and disconnect the driveshaft from the diff and wire
it back so it is not going to wiggle back into the flange going down the
road.

Good luck!

Jim Franks