[6pack] Idle mind

Navarrette, Vance vance.navarrette at intel.com
Mon Nov 3 11:17:10 MST 2008

 	John:

	While stripping weight out would improve performance, it rapidly diminishes
the enjoyment in everyday driving. Driving in the rain without a soft top for
example, is only for the true manly enthusiast =:-o
	The same result can be obtained with judicious hot rodding. Raising the
compression to 9.5:1 is good for 12HP according to my engine simulator. This
is equivalent to shedding roughly 250lbs of weight, and it will not affect any
aspect of operating or enjoying the car and fuel economy will go up slightly.
	K&N air filters will add 2-3 HP, which is equivalent to ~50 lbs, and so on.
Ditching that Leyland muffler would be a big improvement too.

	In short *MILD* hot rodding of the car will get you lots of benefits and
little downside. It is a reasonable alternative to yanking out a seat or
removing the boot lid and bonnet. Tossing in a gnarly cam on the other hand,
will get you lots of downside along with the performance, so there are limits
to this option.

	Still, I would prefer some hot rodding to removing pieces of the car. But
then, I was an abused child so I tend to prefer the less manly options.

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom
    I think, therefore I go fast