[6pack] #4 main bearing cap needed

Ruffner, James A *HS JAR7U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Tue Nov 18 07:41:34 MST 2008

As was noted, finding a "good condition" #4 cap ain't gonna be easy.  And even
if you do, you cannot simply install it.  You will have to have the whole
block line bored so the new cap will fit with the correct clearances.  How old
is the engine?  Maybe you can get a whole engine from a junk yard, or from
someone on the list who has a spare.

Best bet is to have a good machine shop repair your existing #4 cap.
Leyland's six cylinder engine design in the thrust washer area was a real
step-down from the design in the old four cylinder engines. Pretty pathetic.

Cheers.