[6pack] Lucas to Delco Alternator Recipe for late TR6

grego at sandesco.com grego at sandesco.com
Thu Nov 20 14:43:26 MST 2008

Quoting "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster at hp.com>:

> Wayne, there are probably several/many options for higher output alternators.
> I used a Bosch unit which is well known to be mechanically and plug
> compatible
> with the original Lucas so it is a bolt on and delivers 55A.

This is the way to go. Delco units can be pretty iffy, unless this is a car
that you don't plan to drive much. Lots of the Delco alternators use really
cheap bearings, especially the rear "bearing", which in many cases is just
a bushing. I have had several go out after 30k miles. The third time it
happened I went to get a replacement and noticed that after 10+ years they
had not changed the design. I chose to get an aftermarket compatible unit.
-grego