[6pack] Whistling Throwout Bearing

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Tue Oct 7 13:48:55 MDT 2008

Ron---I don't know if everyone who has installed the TOYO bearing has experienced the whistling, but I know I have. (Also on another TR6 that I put this bearing in) What could be the issue here is the weight of this bearing. While it is certainly more robust than some of the others, this could mean that it takes more friction against the clutch fingers to come up to speed. At one time I tried "pre-loading it" ala the instructions for the Gunst bearing.  But to no avail. It would sing just as yours until more pressure was placed on the clutch pedal. This singing, or whistling, should cause no particular damage, other than to one's nerves. It could cause some grooving in the clutch fingers over extensive use, tho.

As with all throwout bearings, it is important to "center" the bearing in relation to the clutch. This is done by using the two (3/8"diam.) aligning pins thru the engine backplate and bellhousing.

Finally, one must be sure that the front cover is not worn so much as to allow this bearing and its sleeve to droop from itsown weight, as this could set up a misalignment at the clutch.

Dick