[6pack] Opinions wanted

Jeff triumphlist at deltaparadigm.com
Fri Oct 24 15:57:47 MDT 2008

I've been reading all the suggestions, plus talking with a couple of
mechanic friends plus I ran a few more diagnostic type tests, ie: yes
linkages seem to be working together and I've boiled it down to this plan of
action.  1. Ignition system, - I don't think this is the problem but.. I'm
going to replace the points, plugs, rotor, wires, capacitor, and distributor
cap and basically do a full tune up. 2. At the same time I'm going to
disassemble the carbs down to the diaphragms and replace them. I ordered a
couple of kits so if I'm going that far down I might as well replace, and
then see where I am with that. I've checked the vacuum hoses etc and
everything seems ok, but bad diaphragms would explain a lot of my symptoms,
especially the thing where the engine idles real nice when the choke is
pulled out. J so.. I ordered some parts today from TRF and am just waiting
for them to arrive. I figure I can start next weekend. Over the next week
I'm going to read this lists archives and a few other tech places to try and
make the job as easy as possible. I have the Haynes, Clymer and Bentley
service books too so. I'll let you know how it goes. I do have one quick
question - what is the best way to turn the engine by hand in order to get
the points up on a ridge for gaping? Thanks for all the great advice!

Jeff