[6pack] Electric AC Compressor

Greg Dito dito9561 at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 7 17:47:49 MDT 2008

Mike,

>From the quick Google searching it appears to be a major, if not near
impossible, task because it requires practically all of the Prius
electronics along with the expensive battery system.

I'm in the middle of an A/C conversion in my 250 using a Vintage Air Gen II
Mini evaporator and a Sanden 505 compressor with complete rewiring of the
car using Dan Masters' Powerblock and a GM CS130 105 amp alternator.  With
the compressor, SLR576 driving lights, 19 amp electric fan, and a modern
sound system I figure the car needs at least 85 amps.  It's all a tight fit
but should work.  The only unknown is how much engine movement there will be
to the driver's side on acceleration and whether the clearance between the
GM alternator and inner wheel well is sufficient.  The compressor is mounted
using late TR6 front engine plate and mounting block, pretty much putting
the compressor where the air pump would normally go and running it off of a
late TR6 dual pulley water pump.  It also required use of the later 1/2"
damper.

There is extensive use of Dynamat Extreme insulation although I'm not
planning on covering every square inch of exposed underdash metal.  I'm
trying to keep the Dynamat out of sight, such as not putting it around the
pedal box.  If it turns out I really need to then I can always go back and
add it later.

I added a couple of photos at
http://www.triumphowners.com/collection.cgi?task=PHOTO&photocategoryID=1755&sectionID=111032
but more detailed information will be following in the near term.

As a last comment, there are conversion brackets for York compressor mounts
to modern Sanden compressors if you decide to use the stock TR6 A/C setup.
But do not use the original crank pulley - it's a bad design that supposedly
places undue stress on the crank because of its length.

Greg Dito
CD6250L