[6pack] needles

Navarrette, Vance vance.navarrette at intel.com
Fri Dec 4 08:26:39 MST 2009

	Oliver:

	As has already been mentioned, Joe Curto will supply you with anything you
need. There is a large selection of needles available for the ZS, they are
just harder to find than the SU needles.
	I have a 9.6:1 motor with a 270 degree cam, ported head and stock exhaust. I
had to go to a B1AR needle to get the mixture right. Also, if you need just a
small tweak, you can toss the needle in your drill and give it a couple of
squeezes with some 400 grit emery cloth. This involves a lot of trial and
error however, so I recommend you go with a proven combination to preserve
your sanity.
	Needles are available from Moss as well, although you need to wade through a
lot of catalog pages to find them. Check out the various needles for the TR4,
different years of the TR6, the Jaguars, etc. Moss stocks them, but you need
to figure out what the fuel curves are. Burlen fuel systems offers  a neat
little handbook of the specifications for all the needles they make, so if you
really want to go hog wild, get their book. Also some books on tuning ZS carbs
have needle tables in them (available from Amazon, for example).
	The B1AR needle was run on a Jaguar(?) for example, and I ordered mine from
Moss. BEWARE, there are adjustable and non adjustable needle carriers. The
needles are the same, but the carriers are not. Moss has the B1AR in a non
adjustable carrier, so I transferred them to my adjustable carriers for my ZS.
Joe Curto on the other hand, will ship the needle in whatever carrier you
wish, so you can just drop them in.
	Here are a few needle curves that I played with for my mildly modified
engine:
		http://home.comcast.net/~v.navarrette/mydocs/tr6_restoration_2004.htm

	Scroll down a bit, and you will see a graph I put together of various needles
available from Moss. They show the amount of fuel relative to the stock TR6
needle (B1AF, as I recall).

	Vance

      Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom