[6pack] dashboard refinishing

Robert N. Clark rclark at robertsonclark.com
Thu Dec 10 18:20:37 MST 2009

I haven't recently tried to remove the finish although I remember
messing it up on a dash when I was younger.  I would try a decent heavy
bodied paint remover and let it do the work. Has anyone tried an
electric heat gun (with care)?

After the dash is completely cleaned, an excellent method of finishing
wood exposed to moisture and humidity is to coat it completely in epoxy
using a foam roller (I prefer West System epoxies and the foam roller
cover they sell ... NFI, but I wish).  If fully coated, the epoxy will
virtually eliminate movement of the wood resulting from changes in
humidity. It also builds with one, or at most two coats giving a nice
flat finish like the original dashes. After the epoxy has set, sand it
flat and smooth.  I wouldn't go more than 150 grit.  Then a few coats of
marine varnish.  For exterior wood exposed to water, the two part
polyurethanes or the really nice marine varnishes available from the
marine hardware stores hold up very well.  Expensive and usually in a
gloss, these may be difficult to find in a semi gloss or satin finish
which is more like the original dash.  I use Minwax Helmsman (again nfi)
marine varnish in a satin sheen on interior trim and it holds up well
even on windowsills where there is exposure to sun and moisture and
occasional drop of rain.  I also used it on a wood bathroom countertop
that I also coated with epoxy and it held up well except when hot
curling irons were applied directly to the finish!

Bob Clark
'69 TR6