[6pack] Wiper Switch Repair

Douglas Morris dcmdcm at nc.rr.com
Sun Aug 8 14:45:07 MDT 2010

Dick,
I emailed my pics to you directly, but for the record I'll repost.
The fix still works fine.

>From Dec 8, 2009:

QUOTE
Okay, here's what I did to fix the wiper-washer switch which was rotating with
the knob. I epoxied a flat washer onto the switch body between the gray cup
and the switch body and installed a #8 set screw to act as a pin all the way
through the cup, washer, and case of the switch body. Caution: I drilled the
body for the set screw near the contacts, but there are moving bits just
inside the case of the switch body, so that pin must not extend past the inner
case surface, or the switch won't rotate. Next time, I'll try drilling the
hole on the opposite side from the contacts. Might not be anything there.
Dunno. Not curious enough to go drill another hole, though. Note: the shoulder
on the shaft boss (where the center hole in the flat washer sits) is about
5/8" so I Dremmelled-out a 1/2" washer to fit. Gotta work with what you have
on hand.
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9012/wiperswmods.jpg

In order to get the nut off and on without bungin' everything up by tryin' to
do it with a slotted screwdriver, you need to make a simple/cheap tool. There
are a number of approaches, but I made a simple spanner. The nut has slots, so
I modified one end of a short PVC pipe making little protrusions I'm callin'
"nips." Heat-treated steel would be better, but the PVC piece was sittin' in
my trash box, so ...
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9302/wipertool.jpg

Actually, I think the simplest approach would be to cut a piece of sheet
metal, put it where I put the flat washer, then bend some ears over on both
pieces.
Maybe a couple star washers would work. Dunno.

Everything checks for isolation/continuity, so I'll put the switch problem
aside and work for a while installing the exhaust. When I figure out where to
mount that intermediate hanger, I'll post a pic.

Doug Morris, NC
'74 TR6 w/OD

/QUOTE