[6pack] synthetic fluid clean up

Colin Thom colinthom at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 3 13:51:31 MST 2010

Hi Y'all.I removed my master clutch cylinder today and found black sludge on
the cockpit side that I can attribute to worn seals but the paint on the
peddle was blistering and easily rubbed off. The worse news is that the
paint on the firewall is also blistering a bit, though it doesn't seem as
easy to rub off. Any ideas as to how to clean this, if indeed I should even
touch it? Is there some magic solution that would neutralize the DOT 5 that
has caused this? Oh.and if you're thinking DOT 5 doesn't eat paint, as I
did, it would appear we're wrong..it just takes longer. I've had a fussy
clutch for many months but life just hasn't offered the time or place to get
around to fixing it until now.  Too bad, 'cause it's a sunny day and if the
master cylinder pushrod and clevis pin weren't too worn to re-use, I'd have
it all back on the road for a spin. Thanks for your help. Colin. '75