[6pack] engine oil

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Tue Jan 5 11:46:50 MST 2010

Tony---Thanks for the tip about the diesel oil's synthetic formula.

There are other products that contain the ZDDP (Zinc), if one wanted to stay with their preferred type of oil. One such product is Cam Lube, and of course we can buy the ZDDP additive in small bottles from some of our TR parts vendors. The last time I changed cams, about 5 years (30,000 miles) ago, I used the Cam Lube. At the same time the oil I was using for 30 years went to a formula that was way down in zinc, altho I didn't know or particularly care about this at that time. As far as I can tell, there was no adverse affect from using such oil. Could be the Cam Lube gave the cam lobes and followers extra protection during the break in period. I DO know that the cam followers still looked perfect (unpitted)when checking them the last time I had the head off, about two years ago.

Dick