[6pack] brake cleaner and welding warning 2

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Tue Jan 12 00:41:10 MST 2010

OK, brake cleaner and other solvents aren't good to breathe, and worse when trapped or concentrated under a welding helmet. In re-reading the article in the "Iron" magazine, the writer says he followed his "normal proceedure of using an acetylene torch to burn off any residue". (Normally only goggles need be used with acetylene). If he had used such a torch, why was there anything left to create the vapors that put his health in such peril when then going on to use the TIG welder?  Som ting missin'!?

Michael's reply was right on the money, particularly about the inert gas and it's oxygen shielding duty. (I couldn't think of this and substituted "deoxidizer" in it's place, which wasn't correct).
So now I'll shut up...and read some of the Material Safety Data Sheets that was sent my way.

Dick