[6pack] Would you value a RHD PI TR6 over the NA version?

ed bratt at sasktel.net
Sat Jan 16 12:00:23 MST 2010

John:

  It may be different where you are, but numerous RHD British cars show up
at our car shows.  We also have quite a number of RHD cars and trucks in
daily use on the road.   Canada allows cars 15 years old to be imported, so
there are lots of Japanese RHD cars as well as British cars..  There is a
local RHD car club which draws the performance car owners of Japanese makes
built for their home market, such as the Nissan Skyline GTR and Mitsubishi
FTO GP-X.

  There has not been any unusual rise in accidents with RHD cars, or there
would be restrictions put on them.  I have no figures, but have heard that
they have demonstrated a lower accident rate than LHD cars.  This is
probably because the majority of buyers are car entusiasts, and have
developed driving skills.

    I have driven a RHD Toyoya truck, and 2 RHD Mini's, and have had no
safety concerns.  As far as passing, the  narrow width of the RHD Mini gives
it about the same passing visibility as a full body LHD truck.   I would put
the RHD safety concern in the same basket as the fear of getting hit by a
big car while driving a Triumph .  It just is not realistically based.

   On most models of RHD cars there is no maintenance problems or greater
cost.  I have seen RHD cars in the shop getting service just like any other
car.  The owners of some of the high performance cars or diesels that are
not usually sold here might experience delays in getting parts.  The only
major delay I am aware of was a Toyota Land Cruiser waiting for a
computer--but them My wife's US built Corolla had a minor wait for a
computer, too.

  Two of my friends in Fargo, North Dakota, ran Sports Car for several
decades, and serviced many RHD cars that were brought home by returning
military.

 Ed Bratt
1976 TR6